PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify these castings?

b2u44
07-31-2003, 10:23 PM
I recently obtained an incomplete set of steam engine castings. I need help identifying the manufacturer for the kit as well as a set of blueprints.

Photographs of the castings can be found here: http://home.earthlink.net/~brimai/Castings.htm

Thrud
08-01-2003, 09:24 AM
What makes you think it is incomplete? Looks like a full set of castings to me. Not every kit has the bolts and sundry parts included. I say wing it from here...

If you want a complete engine kit dig real, real deep and order a Stuart kit. Damn nice castings, but you pay through the nose for them.

JCHannum
08-01-2003, 10:10 AM
It looks like a full beam engine. It is not a Stuart, but the book "Building The Stuart Beam Engine" available from TEE and others may have enough information to let you scale dimensions to suit your castings.

SGW
08-03-2003, 09:03 AM
It looks slightly like "Mary," designed by Tubal Cain and described in Model Engineer vol. 143, but your flywheel is too small. ("Mary" has a 9.25" dia. flywheel.)

Tubal Cain (a.k.a. Tom Walshaw) also designed a smaller beam engine he called "Lady Stephanie." The flywheel of that would be about the right size, I think.

I expect Thrud is right -- you have all the castings. Things like connecting rod, crank, etc. you're probably expected to make from bar stock.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 08-03-2003).]

b2u44
08-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, thanks to your posts, I managed to find that the set of castings is for a "Lady Stephanie" steam engine as designed by Tubal Cain and sold by Reeves.

SGW
08-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Great! From the picture on the Reeves site, that's a very pretty little engine when completed.

I thought they looked like Reeves castings. (I probably should have said that before....)
You've no doubt already discovered that Reeves does sell the plans separately.