View Full Version : Vapor Phase Corrosion inhibitors

12-23-2008, 02:47 PM
When I was working on large compressor valves after honing these were wrapped in a VPI paper and stored in a cardboard box . I also used to get some cardboard like 1"square chips that you just dropped in the tool chest. These seem to me to have applications galore but I don't ever see this stuff. Do you guys have any thoughts or information?

12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I get VCI paper from either ULine (shipping supplier) or McMaster.

Thomas Staubo
12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I saw that you can buy the corrosion inhibitor stuff in a pill box type of container. You just take the lid off, and place it in the tool box, and it will provide up to 12 months protection in a volume of up to 2 cubic feet.

Link here (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Protection-Grease-Adhesives/Corrosion-Protection)

I must say, that I haven't tried the product.


12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
The best company for VPI is Cortec. You can find them on the web. I think the address is cortecvci.com. Very good web site can learn a lot about it. Theres is great stuff. Been using it for years. Used to get it wholesale from the company I worked for, but don't work there any more. Their retail line is called Bull Frog. You can googel bull frog rust control on the web, or google the rust store, I know they have it. What he was talking about were emitter cups- look like cupcakes. They come in a couple of sizes.

Forrest Addy
12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
VPI paper is great but it poops out in proportion to outside air infiltration. Closed tool boxes work pretty well but evertime you open a drawer, poof goes the goodies. There's other better products mention above.

12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
ZERUST.....is another manufacturer. They make a similar product to some of the CORTEC products.

12-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Sold by Lee Valley, Part # 56Z61.21 or ...22 (different sizes).
Also foam sheets

The usual disclaimers