PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Grizzly GO484, maybe

smooth72
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I ordered a Grizzly GO484 yesterday. Grizzly sales gave me a date of Feb 13. Talked to the tech department and they said it had been a real popular unit and they usually sale out quick. I asked the tech department if that was a floating date and he laugh and check the computer and he said that it showed that Feb. 13 was the expected date but had not got a confirmation from the manufacture. I took that as it probably will not be off the boat by then. They said it will ship out of their Missouri store. They are shipping it UPS. I had them send it to the terminal that way I can put on my trailer and back it into my garage and use the engine hoist to place it. I am a total newbie so I was asking the tech department for some suggestion to get started and found them very helpful and patient. Also been watching in the forum for ideas, just want to thank all the people taking their time to share their expertise

Your Old Dog
12-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Smoothy and congrats on the new gear. Tell us what you are interested in doing with your new lathe and if you have other equipment as well. I haven't seen many questions that good answers haven't been offered up for. Even stuff that should have found it's way to Ann Landers ! :D

kennyd4110
12-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Grizzly 0484 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0484)

They are delivering that via UPS:eek:

smooth72
12-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Grizzly 0484 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0484)

They are delivering that via UPS:eek:

I was surprised too, I even asked about it and Grizzly said that was one of UPS services. We will see. Grizzly has a fix cost on shipping by product unless you get the lift gate service.

Oldguy
12-23-2008, 10:26 PM
UPS bought Overnite Freight a few years ago and it is now UPS Freight. This was after FedEx bought Caliber Systems to get RPS (originally it was Roadway Package Service), which became FedEx Ground. Another part of Caliber was Viking Freight, which is now FedEx Freight. Still another part of that buy out was Caliber Logistics becoming FedEx Supply Chain Services, which is now a shadow of its former self. But they do send me a (small) retirement check every month.

Glenn

splinters
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Congradulations!!!
Nice, very nice.... I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these but the tightwad in me just can't turn loose the cash.
Even after selling a couple of trailers and boosting the account almost $5k, something just keeps telling me to keep my cash close at hand.
I still have a few things to sell and I think the next item will turn into something green and heavy.
Glad to hear that they will ship to a terminal too, I had the idea that this would not be the case.
Plus one other factor that has slowed my trigger finger is the time frame, I hate waiting on things.

Please keep us informed as this progresses.

Splinters

Teenage_Machinist
12-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Lift Gate- does that mean they can get it out of the truck without a loading dock?

Dave S.
12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Smooth

Good luck. I ordered the same mill on June 5th and after they backordered me 4 times I said the heck with Grizzly and went to Enco for basicly the same mill. They got it to me in a week free shipping only 70$ for lift gate service. Another guy on another forum ordered one that was suppose to be in on the 19th they just backordered him.

Dave

splinters
12-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Lift Gate- does that mean they can get it out of the truck without a loading dock?

Basically it's a hydraulic platform on the back of the truck that can lower the machine to the ground.
After that it's your baby and your responsibility to get it inside.
And yes there is an extra charge for this.

Splinters

smooth72
12-23-2008, 11:04 PM
It is mounted on the back of the truck and lowers it down to ground level. Even if it was free It is still better for me to have it loaded on a trailer. My garage is in the back of my house and i can back the trailer into my garage and lift it off and place it.

splinters
12-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Smooth

Good luck. I ordered the same mill on June 5th and after they backordered me 4 times I said the heck with Grizzly and went to Enco for basicly the same mill. They got it to me in a week free shipping only 70$ for lift gate service. Another guy on another forum ordered one that was suppose to be in on the 19th they just backordered him.

Dave

Dave,
What is the Enco number for that mill?
I ordered my current 3n1 from Enco on 1/16/01 and it was shipped from Mableton, Ga on the same day. I picked it up from the USF Dugan terminal the next day. Can't beat the time frame. I would like to have a Grizzly machine but I can't handle waiting.
Thanks,
Splinters
Happy Holidays

Dave S.
12-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Splinters

See the same subject on The Home Machinist forum. I posted details there.

Dave

splinters
12-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Splinters

See the same subject on The Home Machinist forum. I posted details there.

Dave

Gee, 13 words as opposed to 7 numbers. Plus I had to look for the correct thread over there (HM isn't bookmarked in this laptop) guessing that it was in the "general" section and then look through 4 pages of posts. Glad that I had nothing else to do for the last 15 minutes...at least it's warm here.

Thanks

Dave S.
12-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Splinters

That may of had something to do with the fact that I was at work and did not have the model number with me and that was the best I could do at the time.

Dave

splinters
12-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Dave,
I actually looked up the Enco mills before I received your reply but was confused that they had a comparable unit to the G0484. Your unit is most like the G0519 and the RongFu 45.
Noted too that the G0484 includes the base, table power feed, and powered head lift.

Take care,
Splinters

Paul Alciatore
12-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I am thinking about the same mill. My second problem is delivery (first is $s of course). My shop is in a trailer with the door about 3 feet above the ground. No room for a big truck to back up to it but one could easily reach is sideways if that is any help. The door is a sliding glass one so it will be wide enough.

Any suggestions on my best, least expensive way to have it delivered and placed in the shop? I am in small town Iowa, so no big city stuff.

splinters
12-25-2008, 07:38 PM
A small hydraulic wrecker should be able to set it in the door on some pipes. Then roll it into position.

smooth72
02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Just got a call from UPS to tell me the Grizzly GO484 is in. I will go pick it up tomorrow with a trailer and plan on off loading it with a engine hoist.

oddball racing
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Is it possible to take few pix of the way this thing is packed as it comes apart? I'm interested in seeing how well the crating process from Grizzly is.

smooth72
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Is it possible to take few pix of the way this thing is packed as it comes apart? I'm interested in seeing how well the crating process from Grizzly is.

I am curious too, I looked on UPS tracking and it shows "DAMAGE NOTED AT RECEIPT FROM SHIPPER".