PDA

View Full Version : Got my HF 14x40

radkins
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Well yesterday I picked up my HF 14x40 lathe I have had it ordered for almost two weeks now, on sale for $3199 and with my 20% off coupon my total cost was $2776 including tax. It is still in the wooden shipping crate completely enclosed sitting on my trailer and I am too sick right now (bad back) to even take the crate apart so I can't even see the dang thing. I went over to the store with my trailer and that bunch of dummies trying to load it could not stick their finger,,,,well you know, and they finally just gave up and said they couldn't do it! When I asked them what I was supposed to do they said I would have to hire someone to come and get it with a roll-back truck or something. At this point I lost my cool because we had heavy nylon straps and a forklift that was more than capable of lifting the load but this bunch of idiots was afraid to lift a 1,990 lb crate using three 3" lifting slings because they thought they might break, they just could not see lifting something that big with a nylon strap never mind that just one of those straps would have lifted two of those crates! When I tried to explain I have handled loads many times that size using nylon lifting slings they just got mad and one of them said that even if the straps did not break the crate would crush so they all just walked back in the store, they made a BIG mistake however and left the keys in the fork lift!:D First I wrapped two of the slings around the crate in a choke fashion then slipped the open ends over the forks on the lift, by the time they heard the fork lift running and came out to see what the f#%$ was going on I had the darn thing sitting on the trailer! One of them ran up to me and yelled "you aren't supposed to do that!" to which I replied "too late now I already have". They screwed around with that thing for over a half hour before giving up and telling me I would have to hire someone to pick it up and I had it on the trailer in 5 minutes after they went back inside. When they first tried to load it I kept quiet at first but after a while I attempted to suggest using the straps but I was quickly told that they knew what they were doing, OKaaay.:rolleyes: Anyway I have it home now and I can't wait to get on my feet again so I can rip into it, that back problem sure was some bad timing.

Your Old Dog
12-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Pictures! Pictures would be good! Congratulations on the new lathe. Hope you're feeling well enough to get on with it.

dan s
12-23-2008, 06:27 PM
That's the problem with HF clerks they know nothing.

torker
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Radkins...LOL! Good on ya! Geez..I wish I could have seen that!!!
That's hard to believe they wanted you to hire someone.
Yeesh! I'd be bitchin to someone higher up about that...bloody ridiculous. I'm just betting here...but I bet your mouth fell open when they told you that....??

radkins
12-23-2008, 07:13 PM
I will get some pics up as soon as I can walk good enough to get the crate torn apart. I am usually easy going and don't have any trouble getting along with anyone but I had driven nearly 80 miles to pick up that thing AFTER they told me they had a fork lift and that they could load it for me, I was royally pi$$ed when that little fiasco happened and I was determined to bring it home with me.

hardtail
12-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed your story........good on ya!!!!!!!!

speedy
12-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Good one mate ! :) See, a committee of slackers will bugger you around all day; all it takes is one person to take control and you were it.

Fasttrack
12-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Good for you! Some people are just too scared of their own shadows to get anything done.

Congrats on the new lathe! Thats a pretty sweet Christmas present ;)