PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question on polishing plastic.

Your Old Dog
12-24-2008, 08:15 AM
My 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Extended Cab SRW 4X4 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel (Gawd I love it's nomenclature!) has crappy headlights. They don't seem to do much of anything at night. At first I thought the headlights on this particular 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Extended Cab SRW 4X4 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel were aimed wrong but they have been checked at the inspection station. The mechanic there did tell me I had a very nice looking 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Extended Cab SRW 4X4 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel with the sunvisor and cab lights on it.

I ran across this ad by chance on Craigslist. Anyone have any idea how they do this or what they may use?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/936857122.html

Evan
12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Meguiars Mirror Glaze

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+M1708

You need product 17 and 10

It works, been around for decades and is approved for aircraft windscreens and canopies.

Your Old Dog
12-24-2008, 08:30 AM
You da man Evan, thanks and Merry Christmas!

GKman
12-24-2008, 08:33 AM
I worked over a set that looked sand blasted. On the worst of it, I started with 220 or 320 sandpaper and worked up (down?) to 1500 then buffing compounds. Got them back to pretty clear. Bad news? Didn't last long. They must have some kind of hard coating to start with.

Your Old Dog
12-24-2008, 08:48 AM
I just ordered it out. Be curious to see if it will clean my plastic face shield visor. It's kind of a rubbery plastic and not brittle like most plastics. If it works it will pay for itself real quick.

Boucher
12-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Tooth paste is good on your welding faceplate. The abrasive is very fine and it makes a good cleaner for all kind of things that you don't want to scratch.

Evan
12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
It works best on acrylic and polycarbonate. BTW, it will restore a badly scratched CD, audio or data to almost like new condition.

murph64
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
It works best on acrylic and polycarbonate. BTW, it will restore a badly scratched CD, audio or data to almost like new condition.

Then I imagine it will work wonders on the stack of DVDs that my 2 and 4 year olds have "played" :( with...

:D

BRILLIANT!!

Andy

saltmine
12-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Ford has had a problem with fogged headlight assemblies for years. When I worked for the Sheriff's Department, we tried every kind of polish and cream we could find. Some were insanely pricey (and didn't work) and some were cheap (and still didn't work) We finally settled on partial results with McGuire's and a power polisher, but every second polishing, we'd end up replacing the headlight assembly...$90-$140 each....

Frank Ford
12-24-2008, 11:52 AM
If you haven't encountered it before, you might want to take a look at Micro-Mesh. It's a very interesting, cushioned abrasive - basically a cloth sheet coated with a slurry of rubber and abrasive grit. Because the grit is actually embedded in rubber, there are no spaces between the grits, so the stuff can't load the way other abrasive sheets do.

I do a lot of polishing of lacquer and celluloid, mostly with a buffer and Menzerna power buffing compounds, but I also routinely use the "regular" Micro Mesh sheets from 1800 to 12,000 grit for hand polishing lacquer and plastic. I hesitated for years because of the high cost of the sheets, but once I started using the stuff, I realized it was a really good value for me - the sheets last a really long time.

http://www.micro-surface.com/

kendall
12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
They make several types of 'polish' for eyeglasses that's supposed to fill scratches etc, haven't tried it on glasses, but a friend used it on his old neon and claimed good results.

Won't help with scratched and cloudy lenses, but I've always waxed the lenses on my 92 explorer with johnsons paste wax, and the headlights are still clear. no comparison tests to prove it's actually doing anything, but the explorers I've seen of about the same year do have cloudy lenses.

Ken.

noah katz
12-24-2008, 04:18 PM
"It works best on acrylic and polycarbonate. BTW, it will restore a badly scratched CD, audio or data to almost like new condition."

Toothpaste or the Meguiars?

Evan
12-24-2008, 04:49 PM
The Meguiars.

murph64
12-24-2008, 10:36 PM
And I've used toothpaste. Sometimes the disk still won't play, but most times it comes back. If the scratch is deep, it might skip a time or two, but that's better than not playing at all.

Andy

Garauld
12-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I just did the lights on my wife's Jeep - they came out really nice. I started out wet sanding off the protective polycarbonate outer coating using 1000 grit paper until it was gone and then used 2000 grit to smooth it more. I then used swirl remover with a power DA buffer. Huge difference.

Before:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/Garauld/P1000950.jpg

After:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/Garauld/P1000954.jpg

Evan
12-25-2008, 07:09 AM
That looks good. Now you should apply some Rain-X to help protect the surface. Rain-X is a silicon oil product containing polydimethsiloxane which is what the original protective coating on polycarbonate is made from. While the Rain-X won't provide the same hardness as the original it will help prevent dirt build up and scratching to some degree.

Evan
12-25-2008, 07:15 AM
BTW, the idea that toothpaste contains a very mild abrasive isn't quite right. The abrasive is actually a very hard material, silicon dioxide, which is quartz. It just happens to be very very fine. Another name for it is sand.

Your Old Dog
12-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Geraud, if my headllights come out that good I'll be pleased! Nice job. I got a large jug of Rain-x from my sister. She thought she was buying one bottle of high priced stuff and actually ended up receiving a case of 12 bottles! Was a good day for me, her meatloaf is about as good as Alistair's sister's :D

Your Old Dog
12-25-2008, 09:14 AM
BTW, a drivers tip from my Dad.

You can tell roughly how crappy your headlights are from the dirt at the top corners of your windshield. If you can barely see through the corners your headlights aren't likely to be much better.

While I'm on tips from Dad, he cracked the drivers window when the temperature started to change. He could tell what the road surface was like by the change in noise as the tires went from ice to water. If nothing else, it tells you when it's safe to use the brakes.

Evan
12-25-2008, 09:32 AM
I have always driven with the window open half an inch no matter how cold it may be.

Here is a night driving tip. This is especially good on winding roads. Watch for headlights reflecting in the power lines that may follow the road. It will give you warning that there is somebody just around the bend. If you can't see them it doesn't mean they aren't there but if you do see them you know they are.

My personal favorite for driving in winter on remote backroad hiways at night with no traffic. When there is a light dusting of snow on the road and the moon is full I turn off the headlights. It's like driving in the daytime and makes it easy to see the moose on the road in time to stop.

We had a freak accident here recently. A guy hit a deer on the hiway and threw it into oncoming traffic where it went through the windshield of an oncoming vehicle and killed the driver. When you see deer on the hiway don't watch the one that just crossed in front of you, look for the ones that are following. Also, HONK. Animals ignore normal vehicle noise but pay attention when you blow the horn.

vinito
12-25-2008, 01:10 PM
On the subject of dangerous roadkill...
I installed those "deer whistles" on the front of my vehicle. I always thought they were probably a gimmick, then an acquaintance of mine who was some kind of administrator at a trucking company told me that they install them on their fleet. The following two years they had 70% less deer/elk incidents than in previous years, which is a pretty good improvement, and considering the source it's a fairly good testimonial.

Everybody becomes an expert once they open their mouth and you never know whether folks are speaking honest facts, but for the little bit of investment I figured it wouldn't hurt. After I installed them I haven't hit a single deer. Of course before I installed them I never hit a single deer either :D
Installing deer whistles doesn't mean you can let up on the "paying attention" part of driving, but it's a cheap aid maybe.

Evan
12-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I have always had a little problem with a product that says "You can't hear it but they can". Oh? How can I be sure that the ones I am buying are good ones? Maybe they do work but most of the brands are defective.

vinito
12-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I agreed with all of that until you said "Maybe they do work but most of the brands are defective". Unless you've done research, how can you claim that most of the brands are defective? I would trust the guy who had a few hundred trucks and two years of empirical data before a lesser source (no offense meant).

Having said that, I agree completely that the whole idea that only deer can hear them leaves me skeptical. And even if they could hear them, how is a steady whistle any different than the steady whir of tires, etc.? Other than hearing a testimonial from a guy who should "know", I am about as hesitant to believe it as you are. Even if the guy claims to have seen reliable data, it's a claim that he made in casual conversation and we all know how that can go. He didn't drag out the data for us to see.

Just there for what it's worth, which is admittedly not as much as if there was an MIT study on the issue. For the price of a cheap bottle of wine or 12-pack of cheap beer which either ultimately gets flushed into the sewer, or creatively scattered to spell your name in the snow at best, I figured it was worth a shot. Given a choice, I'd rather have clear headlight lenses than a deer whistle (whew! finally made this on-topic)

Maybe to keep money out of unscrupulous junk-peddlers' pockets, a high-quality effective deer whistle would be a cool lathe project. :D

Evan
12-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not claiming that. But how would you know otherwise?

Your Old Dog
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Everybody becomes an expert once they open their mouth and you never know whether folks are speaking honest facts, but for the little bit of investment I figured it wouldn't hurt. After I installed them I haven't hit a single deer. Of course before I installed them I never hit a single deer either :D
Installing deer whistles doesn't mean you can let up on the "paying attention" part of driving, but it's a cheap aid maybe.

They absolutly do work. I installed two of them on the corners of our TV and that has stopped the Elephants from running through the livingroom. Ever had to pick up Elephant doo? This new HDTV thing has it's down sides :D

On the deer thing. I'm told at professional driving schools you are taught to aim at where the deer is coming from instead of trying to bleed out around him. Don't know if I could do that as it's counter productive to all I've tried to do. About the only thing I am steadfast on are more words from the old man. He said you shouldn't swerve for ANYTHING except a pedestrian until you have a glance in the mirriors. His feeling was you wouldn't want to kill an innocent family to avoid hitting a skunk, deer or dog. I've created my share of roadkill as I won't swerve but come down hard on the brakes until I've had a chance to glance. Our neighbors brother swerved for a deer, hit a ditch, flipped over and is paralyzed for life. He still managed to kill the deer?

vinito
12-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Maybe they do work but most of the brands are defective.

I'm not claiming that. But how would you know otherwise? Probably just the way you typed it and not quite exactly what you intended, but you did type "most of the brands are defective", thus my statement regarding your claim. Lack of 100% intent-to-statement conversion happens a lot on forums.;)
As for why you'd know otherwise, I guess I'd have to either trust my acquaintance's statement, which I'm not wired to do with anyone really, or test it on a pet deer (or elephant) I guess.

This new HDTV thing has it's down sides YOD, everybody knows those whistles only work in the wind, so be sure you switch to the rollercoaster channel every few minutes to kick them into gear. Them elephants are sneaky bastages.

Evan
12-25-2008, 06:22 PM
but you did type "most of the brands are defective

Uh no. I typed "Maybe they do work but most of the brands are defective". A hypothesis, not a statement of fact.

J. Randall
12-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I looked at a set of those deer whistles one time, but the instructions were not clear on which way to stick them on. I was afraid that if I got them on backwards that they would call deer, so I did not buy them.
James

vinito
12-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Changed my mind. Not worth posting.