PDA

View Full Version : You guys cost me some money

George Bulliss
12-24-2008, 12:01 PM
After a year of following this site, I finally convinced myself, and my wife, that I needed some more tools in the garage. Last week I picked up this 13” x 36” Sheldon from Richard Triemstra down in Detroit. I got lucky and drove down and back on the only day in weeks that we did not have snow. The lathe is still sitting on the trailer, but I hope to unload it this weekend. Many thanks to JCHannum for pointing me to Richard and for helping me decide just what size was going to work for me.

Merry Christmas to all, from all of us at Village Press.

George Bulliss
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo28/gbull3/1.jpg

radkins
12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Why do I have this sudden feeling of jealously? That is nice to say the least!:)

RobbieKnobbie
12-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I (we) owe you a big THANK YOU to you and everyone at VP, not just for your magazines, but for this site that keeps me (and many others, I'm sure) from getting any work done on regular basis.

Have a great holiday, and know that all your efforts throughout the year are appreciated!

Evan
12-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Nice score George. That's a good size for a home shop.

Al Messer
12-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Have fun, make lots of chips, and post photos of what you do!!

Orrin
12-24-2008, 12:13 PM
That's a beauty, George! You even got a drawbar, too!

I have a 10-inch Sheldon that looks much like yours and an older 13-inch. I like them both. I made my own drawbar and 5C adapter for the 13. It gets used often.

Orrin

Mcgyver
12-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Ah ha! he's bit by the bug too! way to go George, nice treat for under the tree. Merry Christmas

madman
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the chuck fell off?? It is suposed to be mounted on the spindle. Merry Xmas. Mike

Oldbrock
12-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice, hope the chuck didn't ding the bed when it fill off!!!! Merry Christmas. Peter

alanganes
12-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Nice! I have an 11" Sheldon that is about that vintage. Nice old machines.

I'll second the "Thanks!" for this board and the village press publications.
Have a great Christmas!
-Al

Uncle O
12-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Nice grab !

If I would have known that was available local I would have tried to snatch it up.

George Bulliss
12-24-2008, 03:02 PM
You even got a drawbar, too!

Orrin

Along with the drawbar I got a nice set of collets, a four-jaw chuck, a QC toolpost and some holders, and a number of other odds-and-ends. I really wanted the taper attachment he had but I couldn't spend all the kids Christmas money!

George

C - ROSS
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
George
That looks like a nice lathe, enjoy.

The taper attachment sounds like it should be a Christmas present for your wife (ha).

Don't worry about the kids Christmas, they will have another Christmas next year.

I also second, third or fourth the thanks for all of the work on the mag and web site.

Ross

BadDog
12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Congrats on the score, I love those Sheldons! And you've got some good connections, both Richard T (from my Rockwell days) and JC are great people to deal with...

lane
12-24-2008, 06:45 PM
That lathe looks sweet. Now to get it set up and make something .Hope you can find the time.

JCHannum
12-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Congratulations George, that looks like a good machine. I am sure it will serve you well.

I think that the Sheldon is one of the best choices for the home shop, and a 13" lathe is about the ideal size, you can wind it up for the smaller parts and it is still large enough to handle just about anything in the model engineering line.

Your Old Dog
12-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Geez, we got a lot of post of guys dragging home the heavy stuff lately :D Have a good time George with the new lathe and as the others have said, thanks for the great machinist site. To me it's kind of like a McDonald's restaurant at 10AM when all the retired folks in town stop in only these guys all like iron but discuss most everything under the sun!

J Tiers
12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
VERY nice.... the Sheldon is probably the most "industrial" of the practical home-shop sized machines..... And 13" is probably THE most "universal, does most anything" size.

I am officially jealous..... very good score.

Merry Christmas, and a "thank you" to all of you at VP for the site and magazines!

wierdscience
12-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Ya done good George,that should keep you out of trouble:)

rockrat
12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Nice score. I see someone calling into work sick while in the middle of a big lathe project.

rock~