PDA

View Full Version : Need a Rockwell 14" lathe belt

texas_po_boy
12-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Just got a 14" Rockwell lathe and the belt squeals bad and there is no more adjustment left. Anybody know where a person could pick one up ? Thanks

portlandRon
12-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Get one of the "link" type. I have been using one on my Clausing for over 20 years and had no problem with it. The best thing is you don't have to remove the spindle to put on the new belt.

garyphansen
12-24-2008, 08:30 PM
If your lathe uses V belts do as the previous post said, get a linked belt. If your lathe uses flat belts replace them with an auto serpentine belt. They work far better than anything else! (I think it was Evan's idea to starte with) They can be glued, laced or clipped together with belt clips. I will go looking for a photo. Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen
12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Here is a photo of one spliced with belt clips. It is only a 3/4" belt but has far mor traction than the 2.5" lathe belt it replaced. Gary P. Hansen
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/garyphansen/IM000002.jpg

garyphansen
12-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Here is one I laced together with braded fishing wire. Gary P. Hansen
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/garyphansen/IM000606.jpg

gzig5
12-24-2008, 10:56 PM
The 14" Rockwell uses a Reeves type drive that takes a non-v belt, whatever they are called...Vari-speed like on a Bridgeport. It's too friggin cold to go out in the garage and look up the part number, but once you have that part number, you should be able to find them at about any decent supply house. There is a Yahoo site for the Rockwell lathes where you can download the manuals and parts list. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll give you a hand. I get some squealing noise on mine from time to time and the trick that fixes it up temporarily is to run a bar of soap on both side of the belts and the areas of the pulleys you can reach. Stops the noise instantly, for a while anyhow. I use Lever2000 but i've heard that Dial gives good results too.:D
Greg

Al Messer
12-25-2008, 10:42 AM
When I had to replace the flat belt on my 1943 Logan built Ward's Powerkraft lathe, I bought a strip of Leather the correct width from Tandy Leather Corp and scarfed the ends and glued it together with Elmer's Glue. That was in 1994 and it is still performing well.