PDA

View Full Version : Documentary on New Build Brit A1 Class Locomotive.

aboard_epsilon
12-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry this is only available to watch, in the UK, on BBC-I player .

But search torrents it may be there . ;)

Quite a few glimpse's of the workshop in action, pouring babbitt white metal bearings, milling, fabrication etc

Absolutely Chuffed: The Men Who Built a Steam Engine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dzz5y/Absolutely_Chuffed_The_Men_Who_Built_a_Steam_Engin e/

Article here :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023166/Absolutely-chuffed-What-happened-30-grown-men-gave-10-years-build-steam-train.html

All the best.markj

John Stevenson
12-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Mark, had a guy come round a few weeks ago to buy some stuff, he had an engineering company in Yorkshire and was involved in the making of this, or parts of it.
He stayed for about an hour, had a coffee and gave me a rundown of various parts.

I asked why it was a German boiler and was told that the designers insisted on a riveted boiler but the quotes from UK firms were for welded boilers. The Germans, actually it was what was the East German Rail system quoted for a riveted boiler at less than the UK quotes so they got the job.

Only problem was they made it welded but by then it was too late and with the extra transport and trips out there to follow up it actually worked out dearer than having it made in the UK. This is what I was told anyway.

aboard_epsilon
12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Mark, had a guy come round a few weeks ago to buy some stuff, he had an engineering company in Yorkshire and was involved in the making of this, or parts of it.
He stayed for about an hour, had a coffee and gave me a rundown of various parts.

I asked why it was a German boiler and was told that the designers insisted on a riveted boiler but the quotes from UK firms were for welded boilers. The Germans, actually it was what was the East German Rail system quoted for a riveted boiler at less than the UK quotes so they got the job.

Only problem was they made it welded but by then it was too late and with the extra transport and trips out there to follow up it actually worked out dearer than having it made in the UK. This is what I was told anyway.

You'll have to watch the doc John ............ they have turned what your saying on its head, completely different view of it is given........the things they do for TV !

all the best.markj

John Stevenson
12-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Mark.
The guy who told me this is in the film.
He's at 10:15 in the video, Ian Howett who built the tender and is also figured in the shots of the east German works.

aboard_epsilon
12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Yep i see your guy .and he says that it should of been built in the UK.

the film ..sort of makes out, the all welded, was the way they wanted it done in the end .

and not that the Germans had done it their way,..and that's how you are having it attitude .

i don't know didly crap about boilers ...but imagine the Germans way was best ........

i remember Fred Dibnah had a brand new boiler made in the uk..somewhere near Blackpool ..and that leaked from the rivets .

............bet they all used barrs leaks :) in the days of steam .

all the best.markj

JCHannum
12-25-2008, 09:34 PM
............bet they all used barrs leaks :) in the days of steam .

all the best.markj
Not Barr's, but an expedient was to pitch a few horse droppings in the boiler, the solids would plug the smaller leaks. Flax seed was used in politer company to the same effect.

BillH
12-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I must have this video...
At Steam Town in Scranton Penn. They take one step forward on the pennsy K4 and 5 backwards... They ought to build a new boiler from the ground up.

lugnut
12-25-2008, 10:28 PM
There is some info on it and a short video of it running at this web site:
http://polishrail.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/3-million-new-build-a1-pacific-steamed-today/
very cool
Mel

Peter.
12-26-2008, 05:33 AM
I watched my father prepping some axle-boxes for pouring white metal bearings some 10 years ago or more. Details are fuzzy but I think he said they could be metal-sprayed but he was going to pour them instead to save money. They had already been paid-for once but one had burned up due to some problem with the oil-wick. He used to make many steam loco parts but not on the scale of that project, mostly around the 40-ton mark as recall. I wish I even knew as much as he had forgotten about machining, he's done nothing else but steam restoration for the past 20 years.