PDA

View Full Version : Question on Loc Tite

garyphansen
12-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Will LocTite hold a dowel pin place or does it only work on threads? Gary P. Hansen

Fasttrack
12-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Loctite makes a "641" and "638" which are both bearing retaining compounds. The 641 is like the blue version of the thread locker in strength, while the 638 is more like the red. Its made to hold bearings in place when the pocket is worn too much to be a proper press fit. Its a good product and works well. Be prepared to pay for it though. Last tube I bought was about 20 bucks! :eek:

Bob Ford
12-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I have had very good results using the bearing retainer grade. Needs heat to remove.

Bob

ckelloug
12-26-2008, 02:39 AM
There are also several grades of locktite designed for dowel pin retention. I've got a new bottle but it's over at my lab and I don't feel like driving across town to look it up. It was in the chemicals section of my ameritool catalog.

agrip
12-26-2008, 03:14 AM
Any two active metal surfaces in close proximity and temperature range will bring on anerobic "set".

Stuff like painted or anodized surfaces will need a primer.

Some lubricants prevent the loctite (or ilk) from finding the metal surface.

Loctite works at the molecular level, if it is in the micro scratches in a machined surface and wax or oil is not, the "grip" between the surfaces will be enhanced.

HTH Ag

SGW
12-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I always thought that Loctite would all get squeezed out of a press fit and not be of any use, but a few weeks ago I happened to look on www.loctite.com and discovered that Loctite does in fact recommend some of their retaining compounds for press fit applications.

I don't recall the specific numbers offhand, but a check on the website will tell you.

radioman
12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
By all means, use lock tight. The stuff is excellent!

Dennis