PDA

View Full Version : Best oil dispenser

goose
12-27-2008, 03:26 PM
What's your best/favorite means of manually dispensing oil ? Either Way oil, cutting oil, and/or light machine oil) Currently I use old plastic ( hand soap ) pump dispensers which are slowly dissolving, not ideal by any measure.

Thanks,

Gary

Frank Ford
12-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I get old pump oilers at garage sales:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/ShopTips/333.jpg

BadDog
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
For bottles, I use the cheap little squeeze dispensers bought from Enco. Milky clear plastic bottles with the dispenser tube run up vertical out of the top and then bent a bit more 90*. I lightly heat them and bend them slightly over 90* so that the tendency is to drain back rather than drip out. Then modify the tip size based on viscosity and the volume I want. I've got about 7 or so in use right now, all with different fluids.

Sometimes I drizzle directly from the bottle. For instance, dark sulfur cutting fluid into the cut made by a parting blade. That bottle has a fairly small hole to regulate volume and make it easy to drip-drip-drip relatively steady. But I also use the cheap flux brushes from HF. If I'm degreasing/derusting and then applying a light oil for preservative, I often apply/spread a low viscosity R&O with one of these after "loading" the bristles from my squeeze bottle. Likewise for applying cutting fluid on finish passes. For longer more involved cuts, say a long thread, I not only load the bristles, but I also turn it so the hollow handle seam is up, and then charge the tube with a moderate amount of fluid so it keeps the bristles charged during the cut. I just dismantled and serviced/cleaned my mill vise. On was used with Vactra to coat the screw threads (shaft and ID in the shoe) as well as thrust bearing and way surfaces. These same brushes are sometimes used to apply grease and other things too. I also sometimes use several at once with different fluids, so I crimp the handles a bit so I can tell which is which at a glance.

barts
12-27-2008, 03:49 PM
+1 on the pump oilers... vacuoline (way oil) & spindle oil, plus 30W and
air tool oil....

Cutting oil stays in a tin can w/ a brush to prevent errors.... I see you put
yours in a very different oiler as well.

- Bart

BadDog
12-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't care for the pumps. Seemed to me they invariably leaked almost as much on my hand as came out the end (yes, exaggerated). And I would have to pump 3 times to build up a head, then "oh crap!", now I've got a flood rather than the few drops I wanted (for instance, filling the little cups on my Bridgy head). With the milky squeeze bottles, there is never a leak, I can see exactly where the charge is, and I can easily slow/control to get exactly what I want for rate/volume. My shop time has been considerably more stress-free with these bottles.

And they are often easily identified by the color of the contents. However, I printed little labels (love those label printers) and taped them on with packing tape bands (nothing will stick to them) so I can verify that what I have in my hand is ISO 68 hydraulic, or Vactra, or Gunk Sulfer Cutting, or WD40, or...

Teenage_Machinist
12-27-2008, 04:16 PM
+2 for pumps. Though I wish that the tip was flexible on my lubing oiler. It's hard to get it into the way lube points.

Don Wojtaszek
12-27-2008, 08:59 PM
If you can get any large hypo syringes, dull the never used needles and go to town.

They are great for small amounts accurately placed! + you can always see how much is left.

Any outfit that advertizes ink for re-inking inkjet cartridges should be able to hook you up with some and possibility some non-pointed needles as well.

BillH
12-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I just bought a Pro Lube pump oiler from enco for around 7$. Has a flexible hose and comes with a stiff spout as well. IT works well with the all but the smallest ball oilers on my lathe.

clutch
12-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If you can get any large hypo syringes, dull the never used needles and go to town.

Stop at a good feed store. They got biguns. 14ga needles and such. :eek:

Clutch

J Tiers
12-28-2008, 02:37 AM
All teh cans that have a rolled seam at the bottom, they leak.

ONLY get cans with a one-piece, or soldered container. Rolled seams ALL leak.

BadDog
12-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Yes, I agree. Cheap cans leak everywhere from day one. Good cans leak initially or eventually from the pump/tube mechanism. I repeat, you simply can't beat the little plastic washout bottles, they are SO cheap, easily modified as needed, easily moderated for exactly when and how much material you dispense, you can see exactly what you have left, and after a year in a non-AC Phoenix AZ shop, they are showing no degradation from the chemicals I use.

macona
12-28-2008, 04:17 AM
I like the old Eagle brand cans.

I think the diaphragm bottom cans with the spout sticking up should be thrown away on sight. They creep me out...

J Tiers
12-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I like the old Eagle brand cans.

I think the diaphragm bottom cans with the spout sticking up should be thrown away on sight. They creep me out...

and the oil creeps out of them............ ever seen one (containing any oil) that did NOT have a ring of oil under it?