PDA

View Full Version : what kind of people buy these creepy very creepy

Alistair Hosie
12-27-2008, 04:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REBORN-ELLY-KNOOPS-LUCA-BABY-GIRL-MAYA-BRIAR-HILL_W0QQitemZ110328781525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls ?hash=item110328781525&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1294%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1308

Spin Doctor
12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
They most likely think we are weird for having an interest in machinery.

lazlo
12-27-2008, 05:56 PM
They most likely think we are weird for having an interest in machinery.

Aye. Most of my friends and family think it's weird to be into metalworking/welding/machining, and my co-workers race Italian motorcycles and sail yachts :rolleyes:

Sadly, I'd imagine that doll appeals to people who have lost a child.

vinito
12-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Of all the expressions to choose for such a highly-detailed face, I can't imagine why they thought it was a good idea to pick that one. Seems like something you'd want to keep boxed up on a shelf out of sight.

wierdscience
12-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Reminds me of those creepy stuffed cats that were popular until they turned out to be real cats that were stuffed in China.

Dawai
12-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I want one to put into a baby seat and leave it in a "HOT SUMMERTIME" car..

Imagine the fun you could have for making a policeman pay for the broken window "saving" the baby...

BillH
12-27-2008, 07:16 PM
I want one to put into a baby seat and leave it in a "HOT SUMMERTIME" car..

Imagine the fun you could have for making a policeman pay for the broken window "saving" the baby...
A childhood friend of mine told me a story his father did one day....
His father found a baby carriage, so he decided to place it on the railroad tracks.
Of course a train hits it, the train stops and the engineer gets out engulfed in tears and is traumatized.
There are some things in life you just don't do...
David, I think your idea is far more do-able on a human scale, and coupled with a video camera could make for some funny videos as long as it doesn't go too far.

chief
12-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Liberals mostly, they buy them to cheat on their taxes.

A.K. Boomer
12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
What kind of people dig this stuff up on E-bay for others to look at:p

And what kind of people actually go there to look at it?:o

(you should have told me the bidding already ended, Cruel joke Alistair -- does she have an older sister with orifices?)

lazlo
12-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Reminds me of those creepy stuffed cats that were popular until they turned out to be real cats that were stuffed in China.

Is that a true story Darrin??

Carld
12-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Man, that's the most real baby doll I have ever seen. Are ya'll sure it's not a real baby and they are just spoofing people on ebay?

kmccubbin
12-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Little old ladies buy them. They wanted them when they were little girls, but couldn't have them. Now they can afford them. I know a lady who makes high-end doll clothes. The prices she gets are astounding.

Rustybolt
12-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Post menapause women buy them. They get treated like real children. BBC America had a feature about it. Wierdness.

Dawai
12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Okay BiLL talked me out of the car seat thing..

Imagine how dead my pitt bulldog would be if he was seen carrying that thing around the yard??

THE shooters would be lined up down the six foot chainlink fence..
I looked out one day, the local deputy had 9mm in hand, fixing to shoot a small dog.. I hollered for my wife to get away from the windows.. safest place would have been granny's old cast iron bath tub.. He missed several times.. I offered to bring him a shotgun..
About a hour later, the dog pound officer from the next county pulled up, got out a single barrel shotgun, killed the lil dog, then left..

AND STUFFED CATS>>>> ya guys.. suckered me into feeding a stray cat.. now I got about fifty.. Soft heart for five minutes and there is "things" to take advantage of it..

I let the neighbors see me in my bathrobe and fuzzy slippers and then my car radio got stolen.. I'm mad as hell.. and all these darned cats.. who throwed them out?? when there was just enough food for one, I had one.. now....

Alguy
12-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I wonder if that will qualify you to be in the HOV lane?

boslab
12-28-2008, 01:41 AM
you ever seen one of those Egyptian hairless cats, now thats really creepy, i mean if creepy had units [i propose a stephen king as a creepyness unit, these things would be megakings],
apparently there are full size adult dolls complete with all the bits, complete with puncture outfit, thats fairly strange,
mark

jacampb2
12-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks a lot for this. Dolls already creep me out, and now after clicking the link, every time I go to eBay it shows me a plethora of dolls on the home page as "items I may be interested in"... :mad:

...Hopefully in a few more days it will go back to machine tools :D

Later,
Jason

Dawai
12-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I can remember one of the guys getting a "blow" up doll for his birthday.. It was all in fun till someone snuck over and knifed her..

She was sitting there in the Bar Booth- mouth wide open in a perfect round circle as the air hissed out.. slowly going limp, then laying across the table in deflated glory.. My buddy, he looked like he was going to cry. I swear he'd shot someone over that blow up doll if he knowed who.. Duct tape did not repair that time.. it would not stick to the plastic..
My mentioning she was be more portable on the bikes did not help matters.. After that he suspected me.. but I swear I didn't do it. You biker guys probably know this fella, he was the doorman at the Boothill Saloon IN Daytona for years of bikeweek.. He was no punk to mess with.

THEY have life sized dolls now that look real.. real skin textures, real hair..

I can still remember him saying as we all left the bar..
Ahh can't have nuttin good It was hard to kick start that old bike doubling over laughing.

Alistair: I took a china-doll.. took her clothes off.. cut her joints and replaced the limbs with wooden dowel rods.. hinged at the joints with leather straps.. made a T-bar, some string and had the most beautiful Marionette you ever saw.. I was walking her through a local trade show and had two dozen kids following me screaming their heads off wanting her..
I felt like a baby murderer as I cut her small body apart.. Only part that was China was her face..

There was no real market for those at that time. I left her hanging from a girls 4 poster bed like in a spider web.. I was wanting to hook it up to RC servos in a grandfather clock.. to dance every hour.. I'd had to made her a slinky outfit thou.. Moving from rental to rental I had enough crap to move anyways.

John Stevenson
12-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Little old ladies buy them. They wanted them when they were little girls, but couldn't have them. Now they can afford them. I know a lady who makes high-end doll clothes. The prices she gets are astounding.

In the UK they have dolls house fairs, went to one once as it was held in the next hall to where we were at a show.
Creepy, you can buy rooms that need restoring, bath's with stains on them, flaking plaster etc.

I got talking to one guy who had actual dolls houses, just plain plywood fitted with rooms you could take out to work on them.
I asked him how much a big one cost but he wouldn't tell me just hinted that it was a lot of money, he did say one lady bought one and paid an interior decorator to finish it with scale wall paper etc and it cost 20 K just to decorate.

I actually bought a small set of tools, hand drill, spanners etc as they looked neat, cost me 10 - musta been mad ;)

bhjones
12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure I could sleep at night with one of those in the house. I'd keep waking up, expecting to see it standing on the bed staring at me. Possibly with a knife in it's little hand.

Yes, it's true. I watched to many B horror flicks as a kid.

wierdscience
12-28-2008, 03:35 PM

95% sure that it is.My boss's wife has a furniture and collectibles store,in around 1998 they started getting these realistic looking stuffed cats from Korea.The wholesaler told her specifically that they were NOT from China and that they had stopped importing them from there because some had been found to be real cats that had been killed and stuffed.

There is only one news article that I found from the time and it only mentions pelts from dogs and cats being used.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=KC&p_theme=kc&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EAF47ECDA869BEB&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

Not a whole lot of difference between the two anyway.

Back around 1995 is when it all started.An American company came out with a realisitc looking cat made from synthetic fur.Those were nice looking and could easily pass for the common fat and healthy house cat.

They were also expensive,like $300.They became the perfect target for the Chinese knockoff makers,something they can make for very little and sell for a lot.

Dog and cat fur s still showing up here in everything from clothes to toys.Russia still imports Chinese coats made with dog pelts.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/03/toys.fur.reut/

Of course a lot of this is perception.To many,especially rural Chinese,cats and dogs are just another animal.And yes they do eat them too.

oil mac
12-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Alistair, I must confess, I find these dolls in your posting a bit creepy& rather too life like, I can understand little old ladies who were barren wanting one, but what worries me is the number of Perverts & Paedophiles who are creeping about the planet, granted they have always been around, But i could envisage some of these guys purchasing one of these dolls, and then "graduating" to stealing some poor kiddy, Doesnt bear thinking about!
Recently over here in the U.K., we have had some horrendous high profile cases of the wicked acts of these guys Yes leave the dolls to females and just hope it doesnt tantalise the minds of these sicko,s

Sadly also we find if in this world which in the last three decades of self, self self,! leading to exploitation of everything from people who are trafficked big time,& our one brain cell political and judicial leaders, seem to think over here that the penalty for kidnapping a defenceless young girl in Eastern Europe and selling her into prostitution is about 5 years in jail, when it should be hard labour & leg irons for a minimum tarriff of 20years.
Even the poor animal inhabitants are not immune, as one can see in the postings, The thought of skinning a defenceless dog or cat appalls me, recently i had an old feral cat, I had befriended, I had to have euthenised because of the onset of cancer, He was a wild creature to the end, but he took to me and was a good pal, Brave & trusting.

andy_b
12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
my wife and i were looking at those creepy dolls on fleabay years ago. my wife is a moderator on some girlie web forum, and there were stories people posted of women who had actually had a miscarriage and bought one of those freaky dolls to ease their pain. the last thing i'd want laying around the house if i just had a terrible thing like a miscarriage happen would be a doll that looks like a real baby but lays there like it's dead.

as for dog and cat fur, what's the big deal? people wear rabbit and chinchilla and those things are just as cuddly as dogs and cats. heck, fox fur used to be real expensive and you could almost consider a fox to be a dog/cat hybrid. :)

and it appears at least some people in the UK are into adult female dolls a bit too much...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2023392.ece

andy b.

derekm
12-29-2008, 05:32 PM

No! but they are made of rabbit fur... So its a real animal just not a cat..
I have one of these its not cat fur or artificial.

Dawai
12-29-2008, 06:13 PM
DNA tests for dead cats?

Come on ya'll... you're making too much.. People eat them critters over there. I am not sure I have not.. some of the chinese food is stringy meat..

US southern people made banjo's out of them cats cause they got the whitest skin you ever stretched over a hoop.. Hoopla?? PURTY banjos.. Shame for any animal to go to waste.

NOW reality is.. I had a stray cat hanging around my shop.. I put food out, now I have twenty strays.. one today was acting like he was coming in the dog-door.. NOW won't that be exciting, I'll probably have to repaint.. Them things are hard to hit with a pistol (even with a laser grip sight), you gotta lead them according to speed at moment you aqquire sighting. They change velocity rapidly..

I can see the 100lb pitt bulldog hiding behind me... OUR declawed -deballed tom probably perched on his head looking down at the stray.

Liger Zero
12-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I have eaten real cat and real dog meat, prepared by a Korean friend of mine.

Not... bad. The squick-factor came from "knowing" what it was rather than the flavor or anything.

*shrug* I suppose I could get used to eating it if I had no choice think I'll stick with "proper" meats for now though.

Tuckerfan
12-30-2008, 03:29 AM
I'm not going to search for it, but there's a woman who takes photos of stillborn children and retouches them to try to make it look like the baby was alive when the photo was taken. The pics are often of one of the parents holding the child. The woman is not very good at her job, the babies look like something out of a horror movie, but she apparently makes a good living at her job. I'll take a weird looking doll over one of those dead baby photos any day.

John Stevenson
12-30-2008, 05:40 AM
and it appears at least some people in the UK are into adult female dolls a bit too much...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2023392.ece

andy b.

From the article:

Computer ace Le, 33, from Ontario, Canada, has spent two years and 14,000 building his dream girl.

oldtiffie
12-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Fit her with an "E-stop" and you'll make a mottsa!!!

I suppose a real live??? robotic screwing/shafting machine would come in handy in the shop.

It would have to be better looking and more useful than a BP.

Dawai
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Fit her with an "E-stop" and you'll make a mottsa!!!

Depends if she could do laundry and make coffee.. I should've bought a bunn years ago.

I thought I'd make me up a roll around automation box, put several vfd's in it with twistlocks, several contactors going out to 120 volt plugs.. all tied back to a computer for simple control of different things.. It has a temp controller in it and all.

I don't think I have used it twice. Madman got one of the spare inverters from it. It was hooked to the three axis bender for a while.

oil mac
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
]
John, Unless these dolls built by the toronto guy, can be programmed to nag big time, (24/7) and have a headache,:eek: They will never catch on with the average British man:D

JeffKranz
01-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Watch 20/20 tonight - the show is about women that carry these dolls around just like they were real. It was on Good Morning America this morning.