PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DRO for Mill Drill

44-henry
12-28-2008, 12:53 AM
A few years back I purchased a used Jet 15 mill/drill and I would now like to get a DRO for it. I've had some experience with the Shooting Star digital readouts and like them; however, the $500+ price tag seems a bit out of line on a mill that I only paid $200 for to begin with. Other than just living with the dials (which are metric) are there any other more affordable options to go with?

SGW
12-28-2008, 09:59 AM
This might be a cheaper option: http://www.shumatech.com/

An even cheaper option:
One thing I did, prior to getting a DRO, was mount a scale graduated in tenths of an inch along the front of the table with a pointer on the saddle that could be shifted left/right by a bit over an inch so I could "zero" it on a value. This was strictly relative; if I had to move 3.5", I might be starting at 12 and going to 15.5 on the scale, but what it did was lessen the need to be so careful counting handwheel rotations and made the use of the dials more convenient.
www.reidtool.com sells a stick-on measuring tape graduated in tenths of an inch that I used. I think they may have a metric version as well.
It's not a DRO, but it helps, and it's cheap to do.

John Stevenson
12-28-2008, 10:05 AM
A few years back I purchased a used Jet 15 mill/drill and I would now like to get a DRO for it. I've had some experience with the Shooting Star digital readouts and like them; however, the $500+ price tag seems a bit out of line on a mill that I only paid $200 for to begin with. Other than just living with the dials (which are metric) are there any other more affordable options to go with?

So if you had got the mill for free would you expect all your accessories and tooling for free ?

Sorry but I can't see that reasoning, why not look at it as "well I got a god deal on the mill and by the time I have fitted XYZ I will have a better deal "

I'll bet you are not driving a $200 vehicle ?

A.K. Boomer
12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
SJS, if you hang on to your crumpets tighter they wont fall into your tea and get all soggy...

44-henry
12-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I have nothing against the more expensive readouts except I cannot afford them at this time, aside from that, it is not a real high priority item right now. The mill/drill is in my basement workshop and is not heavily used since I have access to (4) 9x42 bridgeports at our University lab which are all equipped with Shooting Star readouts. I would just like something that is somewhat inexpensive and more convenient than going over to the university every time I need to do a small milling job. I am currently developing a new steam engine project for my students next semester and have a bolt hole pattern that would be really nice to have a DRO for; however, my wife for some reason likes me at home rather than at work. I'm kind of leaning towards just mounting a couple of dial indicators on it right now and making do.

BillH
12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I was thinking of a M20 Newall for my 8x14.

Teenage_Machinist
12-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I say, get calipers or scales. Little Machine Shop has a 20 inch scale for 160 bucks, and you can get them cheaper on eBAY. Mount it so you can see the display. Then when you have more money, buy or make the display. IF handy with a soldering iron (like I'm not) try the Shumatech as it pwns the cheap display with tons of features.