PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Shopware Machines, Inc (SMI), Aberdeen, WA?

macona
12-28-2008, 03:20 AM
I picked up a little CNC training lathe for TechShop today. Basically it is a CNC sherline in a case with a control in the case. Connects to a computer with a serial cable. I have all the training manuals, transparencies, etc but no software. Wondering if it just interfaces through a terminal program?

Stepside
12-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I looked at buying one years ago and settled on a Light Machines Prolight which is much larger. Your machine could be as old as twenty years of age. Most of the Shereline based CNC equipment had a dedicated card in the computer. If you don't have the computer and card you are in trouble as the cards will not fit/work in the newer machines.
I do not know if the company that built your machines is still in business. As that was a training machine I would check with the dealers that service schools.

Liger Zero
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Find out if you need a card or not. I have some connections around here with salvage companies. No promises but if you can figure out what you need I'll alert my buddies to keep an eye open.

Stepside
12-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Most of the cards are machine specific. Usually when the schools upgrade the computers the card goes with the old computer. So someone has a card with no use and somebody has a machine with no card.

Liger Zero
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I know people who recycle computers, and I know people who recycle machines. One of the big sources of "scrap machines" and "scrap computers" are the schools getting out of teaching Shop Classes.

I know, the horror! I was looking at a wee CNC mill thing that ran off an Apple ][ computer that came from a local school, the monitor for the computer was smashed. Techtronica or something like that.

Worth a shot, but I'd need to know specifically what to tell them to look for. I can start with the "Shopware" information you gave for now.