PDA

View Full Version : Lathe gear oil

radkins
12-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I got my new lathe wired in and running however the gear boxes are mostly empty of oil. The book says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna 33 or equivalent, a quick call to the local auto parts (no other place to call today) brought the expected response of not knowing anything about it. What would be a good "or equivalent" here that I might find at an Autozone or am I wasting m time looking? They do have various hydraulic and gear oils.

gnm109
12-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I got my new lathe wired in and running however the gear boxes are mostly empty of oil. The book says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna 33 or equivalent, a quick call to the local auto parts (no other place to call today) brought the expected response of not knowing anything about it. What would be a good "or equivalent" here that I might find at an Autozone or am I wasting m time looking? They do have various hydraulic and gear oils.

My Enco manual says to use "Shell Tella 32". I translated thast to mean Shell Rotella 30 wt. That was the closest I could find. I've been using that for close to 15 years now in my 13 X 40 Enco geared head lathe with no difficulties. Rotella is available in gallon jugs quite reasonably priced at any Wal-Mart.

miker
12-28-2008, 03:36 PM
There have been a lot of threads on this subject.
This might get you started:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31580&highlight=vactra

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31383&highlight=vactra

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=28788&highlight=vactra

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=26982&highlight=vactra

I hope this gets you started and not too confused.

Bottom line seems to be, Non Detergent (that means NOT Auotomotive Engine OIL.) for the gearbox and genuine WAY OIL for the ways. Not Chainsaw bar lube or Bacon Grease :)

In the Search Function. I just typed in VACTRA as that will bring up a lot of threads on this subject.

Rgds

Michael

Willy
12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Shell Tellus 27 I believe, off the top of my head, is a straight medium weight hydraulic oil.

Shell Tonna 33 is machine way oil.

The numbers refer to the ISO system of the weight of the oil.

I'm sure others will have more specific recommendations for locally available oils. But this should at least give you a start.

J. R. Williams
12-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Shell Rotella is a high quality engine oil for Diesel Engines. Tellus oils are used for gear lubricants. The engine oils are designed to keep particulate material in suspension so they can be removed by a filter. They also have additives to handle the blow by combustion products. Hydraulic oils are designed to allow any particulate material to drop out. Rotella is not a good oil for the lathe gear box.

JRW

Forrest Addy
12-28-2008, 04:33 PM
You won't find machine oils at the auto parts stores. You'll have to shop for them via industrial supply houses, catalog outfits (Enco, MSC etc), and you local lubricants supplier.

About 99% of all machine shop lubrication requirements can be met with four oils and three greases. Specifically for oil: a way oil, a general purpose gear oil, a medium hydraulic oil, and a light spindle grade oil. For greases: a long fiber grease, a short fiber soft grease, and a general purpose white grease.

Engine oils are not suited for machine oils. They have in them emulsifiers that collect water from the blow-by and suspend it so the crankcase ventillation can evaporate it from the spray. When an engine oil is used in machine tools it may promote rust in some conditions. ATF is an excellent lubricant for gears and general lubrication but it's dyed red. Most shop owners prefer to avoid red staining. After a while a machine tool lubed with ATF looks as though is was used as a murder weapon.

radkins
12-28-2008, 05:03 PM
You won't find machine oils at the auto parts stores.

I assumed that before I called but I thought I would give them those numbers and maybe get lucky, didn't happen. Nothing else open today so there is nothing to do now but wait until tomorrow and run by a local welding supply here that has a lot of machine shop stuff and caters to the local shops, they probably will have the right oil.

Thanks everyone, I know a lot more now than when I asked!

sidneyt
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
If you live in the US you can order these oils from Enco use-enco.com or MSC mscdirect.com and have them in a couple of days ( I actually get things the next day). It's easy to do and saves driving around.

derekm
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
You can find the general purpose gear oil and the general purpose white grease at the automotive store bit the rest is elsewhere.

A modern EP oil doesnt attack phosphor bronze(just to be sure check the spec on each one) and an a lithium based grade 2 grease is what it is...