PDA

View Full Version : I got to play over the holiday

Mark Hockett
12-29-2008, 04:20 AM
During the Christmas holiday I finally had some free time in the shop to work on one of my own projects and not customer jobs, kind of my Christmas gift to myself. I've had a steam engine casting kit that I bought at the GEAR's show back in 2005. I started working on it on the 24th, and had it running on Sunday the 28th. I spent Christmas day at my mother in laws house so I didn't get anything done that day but the rest of the time was productive.

I did all of the lathe work with the exception of the gland nut on my 7x12 mini lathe. I did the gland nut on the CNC lathe as it made threading to the shoulder much easier and I really didn't feel like dealing with the change gears on the mini lathe.

The engine ran the first time I put the air to it. I still have a few finishing touches to put on it such as cleaning up the casting flash and painting, which I will try to get done by the 1st of the year.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/gears2005.jpg

I know it doesn't compare to the engines some of you guys build but I had fun building it.

Davek0974
12-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Nice little engine.

I wish i had the chance to spend that much time in the shop over the holiday, too much visiting, now i'm getting rumours of decorating the living room:(

Happy new year

Dave

BigBoy1
12-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Nice little engine.

I wish i had the chance to spend that much time in the shop over the holiday, too much visiting, now i'm getting rumours of decorating the living room:(

Happy new year

Dave

Dave,

How about suggesting that the living room be decorated with model steam engines? If you don't ask, it's an automatic NO!

Bill

rockrat
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice little engine you have there. I think you did alright. And it started on the first attempt? Your ahead of many of us.

rock~

Carld
12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice job, now you need to build something that it can run.

Davek0974
12-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Dave,

How about suggesting that the living room be decorated with model steam engines? If you don't ask, it's an automatic NO!

Bill

He He :)

It was hard enough persuading SWMBO that we needed the working beam engine and single cylinder vertical engine on the bay window shelf :) :)

Dave

Mark Hockett
01-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Nice job, now you need to build something that it can run.
Carld,
I would like to build something that it can run but I am drawing a blank on what to make, got any good ideas for something that could be useful in the shop? I left a stub from the crankshaft sticking out on the flywheel side so I can add a pulley to drive an accessory.

Here is a picture of the freshly painted engine,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/ge1.jpg

I still have to make the air inlet and outlet fittings which will be a 3/16" X 40 tpi tapered pipe thread. I am going to make a tap to cut the threads in the engine and while the lathe is set up for that I will make the fittings. The lathe set up for tapered threads is just a matter of answering a few questions on the CNC menu. I wanted to make the fittings on new years day but the lathe was pumping out production parts all day.

BillH
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
You need to make a nice boiler for it now!