PDA

View Full Version : First post Lathe question

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Hello all, first of all I want to state I have no lathe exprierence other then what I have read online. I found this lathe for sale and have no idea if it is woth buying.

Here is the ad
"used jet lathe comes with 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck good hobby lathe, comes with many cutters. Also comes with gears for cutting threads." and a picture

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/wfpack14/ForSale/latheSmall.jpg

Any information and opinions would be welcome thanks.

Liger Zero
12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Looks nice, how does it run? That's the key test. How it feels, sounds and everything. The lathe will tell you everything you need to know if you take the time to set up a simple part and run it.

RPease
12-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Without knowing the price...........it's really hard to judge somthings "worth".

Might be helpful to know the size and other data??

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah that is a problem, the lathe is very far away from me, I am going to call the guy this afternoon and see what he says and see what kind of vibe I get from. What would the value of something like this be? I can't seem to find much on google. Thanks guys I am sure you are all sick of newbies:)

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Without knowing the price...........it's really hard to judge somthings "worth".

Might be helpful to know the size and other data??

He is asking $425obo

Teenage_Machinist
12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Important to see it, I think. Find out the size as different sized lathes can look similar in pictures. The presence of both chucks is good.

G.A. Ewen
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
He is asking $425obo

As long as it hasn't been abused you can't go wrong at that price.

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Anybody have any information on these lathes? Google can't seem to find anything. Thanks

RancherBill
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I resized and cropped the picture. It looks like a TY-3 1/? 19" :D

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/rancherbill/latheSmall.jpg

I found another reference to a very similar lathe as a Colt. He calls it a Myford clone.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Industrial/Manufacturing-metalwork/Metalwork/auction-189119449.htm

Hope it helps

Bill

aboard_epsilon
12-29-2008, 03:20 PM
have a look here ...there are 4 pages of myford clones

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/page20.html

all the best.markj

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Given this machine was in good condition how would you all rate this a first lathe. Thanks for all the help and comments allready.

aboard_epsilon
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
its a tincy bit different to a myford ...has no gap down the middle of bed .. its hardinge style

this could mean that chips are not cleared and extra wear takes place ...or the extra wear area make it less likely to wear ...depends on how the last owner looked after it ..

it has no screw cutting gearbox ...........it should have a full set of change gears with it .

having no screw cutting gearbox and having to use change gears to change your thread pitches and your feeds could put you off changing feeds or screw cutting .........

if it has full set of change gears i would say it was just about worth it ....if not leave it .

you got to remember to get the best finish on your work requires you to mess about with feeds and speeds ....now if when you do this requires you to change gears on it...........it can make it a real chore .

another thing ...........if thats the original manual ...........it looks clean .maybe the lathe has had little use .......the paint looks original...........just re-read your original post it does have change gears ..

it does not have powered cross-slide.
all the best.markj

John Stevenson
12-29-2008, 04:40 PM
It's a clone based on a Myford ML10.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/page4.html

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone, I spoke to the owner and he didn't know a whole lot about the lathe other then it has some gears and what not, he wasn't even sure of the length of the bed. He is going to send some more pics but I am a little leary of buying from someone that doesn't know a whole lot.

jdunmyer
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't let the owner's lack of knowlege kill the deal. My first lathe was a 1933 vintage Atlas, 9" swing. It came with 3- and 4-jaw chucks, 3C collets w/ homemade adaptor, Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, Jacobs chuck for the headstock, tool holders, tool bits, 1", 2", and 3" micrometers. The lady selling it wanted "best offer", and she knew nothing at all about it. It was dirty, the gibs were loose (you could wiggle the carriage), and the belts were shot. No stand, it sat on a couple of boxes, sawhorses, or something, in a dark basement. When I asked what her best offer so far was, she replied, "$80.00". I stammered and stuttered a bit, before allowing as though I thought I could go $100.00. She called that evening to tell me that we had a deal.

Mind you, this was in 1966, so you're looking at a lathe that's relatively cheaper than my old Atlas. I used that machine for about 12 years and learned a lot with it.

If you have a buddy who knows anything about lathes, take him along, otherwise you'll have to kinda wing it.

Wind the carriage back and forth to be sure that no gear teeth are missing. Run the cross slide and compound back and forth to see how smoothly they operate and how much backlash the screws have. Don't worry about "some", as ALL lathes have "some", but I'd be concerned if it's 1/4 turn. Unless you can see the dial moving in and out when you reverse direction, that's easily adjusted out. Listen to it run under power. Try the half nuts to see if they engage; be aware that they won't "drop in" unless the screw is in the right relative position, don't force the lever! Check to be sure you have all the change gears; the only way I know to do that is to look at the setup as-is, scope out the threading chart to see what combination is required for the different threads, then check the pile of gears to be sure they're there. Check the ways for excessive wear in the headstock area. If the lathe was used in a hobby shop, it's likely not too badly worn; if it's from a professional shop, it could be kinda nasty, but I suspect the former.

In my opinion, it's probably worth what he's asking. You don't get much of a lathe for that price.

Bill Pace
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I would buy that lathe based on the picture and the info that you have---

Its maybe not the buy of the century, but I cant see you getting burnt on it ... and, its maybe not the most ideal starter lathe, but here again, it aint that bad either.

I get the feeling you really ARE a 'newbie' and some of the preceding advice may be going over your head, so heres mine---

Look the lathe over, it dont take a seasoned machinist to recognise abuse and I think youll know pretty quickly if its a clunker (the pic says to me it aint!). Next - and this is important - make SURE that all the extra gears are there ... after that any of the other extras are just gravy.

I'd prolly make an offer any way:rolleyes:, maybe $350 and if need be work up......

What part of the world you in, -- since it is apparently a Myford clone and there arent many of them running around in the states, are you maybe somewhere else?

wfpack14
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Huh, you really did peg me as a "newbie" lol, I am from the great state of ND, the guy is about 3.5 hours away, but he may be coming my way this weekend and he said he would drag it along with him on the way through. He is supposed to send more pics tonight, if he will deliver it he may have a deal.

jdunmyer
12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Wpack,
If he's delivering it, then I'd say it's a heckuva deal, go for it. Assuming it passes the basic tests we've outlined above. Ya gotta start someplace, and many of us began with stuff not nearly as nice as that one appears to be.

Besides, if you're new to the game, you don't really know:

If you'll like it at all. It'd be a shame to spend 3 grand on something and never use it.

What you really need in a lathe. The only way to learn that is to actually use one to make parts. I didn't find the lack of quickchange threading to be a big PITA with my old Atlas for a long time, but 10 years down the road, it became a "must have".

DFMiller
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
It looks very similar to my lathe. Mine has Colt cast on the pulley cover if I remember. Mine has some parts inter changeable with Myford parts. I got if from the first owner who bought it in the 70's. He has a collection of equipment include some maximat and larger Eastern European stuff. He is rather picky on what he buys so its a good machine. Mine was made in Taiwan. I don't use it much but always works as expected. I paid more that the offer is so it it looks complete I think it a good buy. Mine came with most attachments including taper attachment. As John has you can do some amazing things with a lathe.

BillH
12-30-2008, 02:04 PM
When all said and done, I paid more for my Taig and all the accessories I ordered for it. Get it.

andy_b
12-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Hello all, first of all I want to state I have no lathe exprierence other then what I have read online. I found this lathe for sale and have no idea if it is woth buying.

Here is the ad
"used jet lathe comes with 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck good hobby lathe, comes with many cutters. Also comes with gears for cutting threads." and a picture

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/wfpack14/ForSale/latheSmall.jpg

Any information and opinions would be welcome thanks.

wfpack,

since you're a newbie, you really aren't going to know what to look for to see if anything is wrong with the lathe. if it was me and i was checking it out, here are some quick and simple things to check.
check the bed to be sure it has no gouges in it or grooves running along it. if the bed looks smooth and shiny, that is good.
check the leadscrew to be sure the threads look good (the leadscrew is the threaded rod running along the front of the lathe bed). make sure to look it over good right below the chuck and out to about 4" in front of it. this is generally where the most wear would be.
check any gears for chipped or broken teeth.
check the spindle to see if it turns smoothly and isn't loose.

pretty much if those things are good, you can make the lathe work.

judging by the photos, the lathe looks to be in good shape though, and if i was looking for a lathe around that size, i think it would be a good deal.

andy b.

tony ennis
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
That looks better than the wreck I bought, and cheaper too :-P

Davek0974
12-31-2008, 04:07 AM
Thats a far better machine than my first lathe, i got thoroughly kicked on that one!

It was a Myford but probably the oldest one in the world, i drove about 80miles to see it and it was dark when i got there. It was in a garage with no lights, just a torch, seller reckoned he made model aero engines on it.

I foolishly bought it for 250 which was about two weeks wages then, dragged it home and got back at about 11.30pm

In the morning i unloaded it and gave a good look over. The head bearings were shot, there was no 4-jaw, no compound slide, no change gears, no drill chuck and so on. I stripped it down, and with the help of an engineering brother-in-law rebuilt it over about 6 months.

It had about half inch headstock bore and maybe 2-1/2" x 10" capacity with open flat belt drive. It had some use over the next ten years but not much. With the appearance of ebay, it soon found another owner and i recovered nearly all my money!

I think that if the bearings check out in that machine and he is delivering it, it's a bargain, go for it. It looks like a good model engineers lathe.

Good luck

Dave

laddy
12-31-2008, 07:28 AM
WoW, I think it looks good from here and for that price a bargain.