PDA

View Full Version : OT phone line problems

darryl
12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm on dial-up (shields up, crunch, crunch- tink- ) Ok, now that the last stone has been thrown- we have some wind here and my phone is intermettent again. It was fixed last week, but I don't think he found the problem, just temporarily made it work. I got a visit from the RCMP a short while ago asking if I had called 911. He suggested that they tried to call me but got only static, thus the visit. This isn't the first time I've heard about a 911 response to a staticky phone line. Anyone else have this, or know the logic behind it- or how my phone could have apparently dialled 911?

garyphansen
12-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Sounds like moisture in the line. I had that problem for a long time from time to time when ever we had a lot of rain. When I discovered one of my lines was the problem I disconnected it and have not had a problem since. Can't have the problem now my phone is over the internet and not the phone line. Gary P. Hansen

J Tiers
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Sure.... if you are in some kind of a time warp and still have an interrupter dial, not a touch-tone.

Or, I suppose, if interrupter dials are still supported there.

Obviously the static, which can be from an intermittently shorting wire, might by chance have hit fast enough to 'satisfy" the conditions for 9 pulses plus one plus one.

darryl
12-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Interrupter dial- no no how deep in the woods do you think I am? No, this is a hand crank model, just ask the operator to connect you to Hilda or Ester. Hmm, come to think of it, maybe it's the operator who's intermittent- she does have a habit of taking a sip or two while on duty- :)

Yeah, it's a long shot, but I suppose the odds are that the shortest number would be the most likely to have been connected to by accident. I'd like to think I know what the problem is, but they don't believe me, or aren't willing to string a new line across the street. There's a lot of tree branches laying across the wires, and it has been replaced before, but they never trim the branches. It's not something I'm expected to do because there's power lines coming across just above the phone and cable lines. Something scottish might happen to me, I might get kilt.

I'm pretty sure it's with the wire, either it's stretched and internally bad, or the connections have gone bad. Guess I'll call it in again.

RancherBill
12-29-2008, 11:44 PM
It seems reasonable that static might imitate a rotary dialer. There are rotary dialers from so many many decades that the parameters at the central office computers must be fairly loose to handle them all.

Dawai
12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Ya ain't been whistling around the house have ya?

I knowed a guy who could whistle tones into a phone and make it dial..

AND, it used to be a hack, to record the coin drops in a pay phone.. then hold it up to the phone and play back the sounds..

HEY, maybe it's that lil lady from Laugh-in.. snort snort snort.. one ringy dingy.. two ringi dingiss..

darryl
12-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Lily Tomlin was it-

Whistling a happy phone number- that's ironic. I have a file in the computer that has friends and families phone numbers as tone sequences. If I'm too lazy to code in the number, or if I've forgotten it, I just play the file that corresponds to whoever I want to call. I put the phone close to the speaker and there I go- I played with the speed of playback to get it to dial as fast as the tones can be accepted. I don't know if you can still trick a payphone this way, but it used to be you could.

I was kidding earlier about the hand crank phone, but it doesn't seem all that long ago that I was standing at the corner of nowhere and lost streets outside of Salisbury one day, cranking the box and trying to raise the operator. Took well over an hour to have a connection established between there and home in Canada. Times have changed- I'm only a little out of date.

Oldguy
12-30-2008, 02:26 AM
It was about 18 years ago that I had static problems with my phone. When the phone tech came out he replaced the line from the pole to the house. Seems that when the line was installed, in the late 40's, they spliced the wire running to the house and when the splice got old enough water would infiltrate and cause the static. He said they weren't supposed to install splices like that - but it did work for over 40 years.

Glenn

clutch
12-30-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm going to second the idea of line shorting 9 times then once then once at a proper rate.

When I was in the marines, we had a phone w/o a dial on the autovon network. I got pretty good tapping out phone numbers with the hook switch.

Clutch

Bguns
12-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Turned out the Receptacle on Back Bedroom Wall had corrosion on the Gold Plated...(Chinese Gold) ... Pins the the Plug in Contacts... Made no Different sound when wiggling, but I had a feeling something was not right..

The Tip and Ring Wires had a nice Green Corrosion spot across them, making a rather poor Diode...

Only 4 inches of Insulation on that Wall, and The Receptacle Box takes up most of that... With the Cold Weather we are having, Moisture condenses in Box.

Was hard to see because Pins are on Inside top of Receptacle and it is low to Floor...

Evan
12-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Ya ain't been whistling around the house have ya?

I knowed a guy who could whistle tones into a phone and make it dial..

It's very difficult to whistle two tones at once. I can do it but not reliably. Touch Tone is properly called DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency). Back when I first started with Xerox I was responsible for ALL the fax machines in the entire Victoria area on Vancouver Island. All 22 of them. I have perfect pitch and the fax machines back then were equipped with an audio coupler for the telephone handset. I could start and stop the machines by whistling the correct tone sequences into the mic on the coupler.

I used to do some minor phone hacking when I was a kid. I could easily dial any number by pulsing the hook switch or just touching the wires together. The old analog/mechanical telephone system was very easy to manipulate. To get a long distance circuit for free all you needed to do was whistle 2600 hz into the handset.

OBSOLETE SKILLS

Whistling 2600 Hz Field Phone Phreaking

Went Obsolete Later in the 20th Century, possibly 1980s
Made Obsolete By The introduction of Signaling System #7 (Incorrect, the #5 switch eliminated that in the early 80s)
Knowledge Assumed Absolute pitch or possession of a small toy whistle from Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal
When useful Illegally Dialing free long-distance phone calls (Also known as Phone Phreaking)

In the early days, sending a 2600 Hz tone over the telephone is required to (illegally) make free long-distance phone calls (infamously known as Phone Phreaking).

The act of whistling 2600 Hz can be done by a person with absolute pitch (being able to accurately produce a musical note without the benefit of a known reference) or using the "Cap'n Crunch" toy whistle.

At one point in the 1960s, some of the Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal included a small whistle that coincidently generated a 2600 Hz tone, which can be used for Phone Phreaking. Blowing the whistle with one of the whistle's two holes covered would produce a 2600 Hz tone.

http://obsoleteskills.com/Skills/Whistling2600Hz

The likelihood of accidentally dialing 911 from a more or less regular interruption of the circuit is pretty high. About the only thing more likely is dialing the operator.

Circlip
12-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Much better over here in the UK thanks to Cable/Fibreoptics, much quicker than wires---------- that's untill some pillock with a rogue JCB digs them up,
don't do much to help the TV OR trying to explain the problem to the prospective burger flipper on the other end of the fault line.

Regards Ian.

Rouge JCB ??????

Dawai
12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
What is wild? heah in the stick suburbs of Gawgia.. no longer are numbers laid into wires that come out to your home..

THEY have to hook a small expensive computer onto the wires at the residence and let the remote switch identify the wires, then assign a number to it.

Long way from a CRANK phone that made all the worms crawl up for half a mile...

Whistling into a phone may not work.. I had a lil pocket device that would auto-dial for you for a long time in the 80s.. I was thinking they might still be made?? not seen one lately, it was the size of my current cell phone.. Alistair was having a heckuva time dialing and getting me from over there in the hillbilly section of Brit.

Evan
12-30-2008, 10:06 AM
The telephone system here converted to digital back in 1984 or so. My wife was a supervisor of operator services in Williams Lake. Up until the conversion they still used cord boards for long distance calls. Never mind Lily Tomlin, we had the real thing here. You could dial a local number with just 5 digits. They still had magneto phones in some locations out of town. There was even a magneto pay phone at Puntzi Mtn. near where we had our summer cabin. You make a call and if the signal is weak you yell at everyone to hang up and stop listening in. Clickity click click and suddenly the signal is a lot stronger.

Then they installed the Number 5 Digital Switch and we instantly joined the telephone computer age. No more local operators that knew exactly where you lived if there was a fire or other problem. My wife and all the other operators lost their jobs. You could no longer whistle up anything on the phone and none of the old "magic" numbers worked anymore (maintenance numbers that could connect you to any other exchange in North America without any record of use). Sniff.

Circlip
12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Auto-dialler ?? Mines called Shirley.

clutch
12-30-2008, 11:50 AM
The telephone system here converted to digital back in 1984 or so. My wife was a supervisor of operator services in Williams Lake. Up until the conversion they still used cord boards for long distance calls. Never mind Lily Tomlin, we had the real thing here. You could dial a local number with just 5 digits. They still had magneto phones in some locations out of town. There was even a magneto pay phone at Puntzi Mtn. near where we had our summer cabin. You make a call and if the signal is weak you yell at everyone to hang up and stop listening in. Clickity click click and suddenly the signal is a lot stronger.

I remember the days of longs and shorts and Rena the operator living above the IGA store. Seems like the place was a bit more neighborly back then. Didn't need no answering machine, your neighbor knew you were out and would answer for you.

When we upgraded to 4 party lines, we had one old lady that was hard of hearing. The installer came in with a phone that used frequency signaling that rang only for her number. She didn't like it and asked for a phone that rang for all the calls.

Well, needless to say the telephone guy said he wasn't going to give her one of those.

Months later he learned from a neighbor that she had rested the phone on a pie plate to amplify the vibration of the phone when one of the other 3 ring frequencies were used.

Everyone knew when she was on the line since she was hard of hearing and had a grandfather clock. ;)

Clutch

Dawai
12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Clutch:
That woman could have been my mother. I had a new house trailer on the back of her place for a while while my second marriage was dissolving.

My momma had bought a scanner.. she had learned that if she set it to the right frequency she could listen to my portable phone.

What I didn't know at that time was the fact that she was listening to the phone calls even when I spoke on the land line. It broadcasted to the handset even when on the base.

She knew all about the coming divorce, the problems in my household, the broken harley and the other goings on. Amazing what bored people do.

I gave that phone to my ex when she left.
This one heah, well it has digital encryption, but that don't mean beans to me.. I have not researched it.

Nowadays it is wireless internet.. I had mine hacked into by the rentors next door. So many ways to invade a person's privacy there is no answer. I have the wireless router tossed into the trash. THE craptop hooks up via cable connection.

WHAT is amazing? they tell me that they had a deal so sensitive to electrical signals in the 80s they could read the electrical impulses coming off the Kremlin's phones.. tapped via long distance satellite. That EE recently passed away. Everything vibrates.. you can focus a IR laser onto a windowpane and turn the miniscule returning reflection into voices..

clutch
12-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Clutch:
That woman could have been my mother. I had a new house trailer on the back of her place for a while while my second marriage was dissolving.

My momma had bought a scanner.. she had learned that if she set it to the right frequency she could listen to my portable phone.

[snip]

WHAT is amazing? they tell me that they had a deal so sensitive to electrical signals in the 80s they could read the electrical impulses coming off the Kremlin's phones.. tapped via long distance satellite. That EE recently passed away. Everything vibrates.. you can focus a IR laser onto a windowpane and turn the miniscule returning reflection into voices..

My in laws used their scanner to listen to a neighbor who was boinking an electrician at GM. One day she asked him why he had to leave at lunch each day. As she related to her girlfriend on the phone, he said if he didn't show up for the pinochle game some one would get worried and come looking for him.

Tempest is the key word that will let you search about surveillance via emissions.

Wireless lan stuff, use WPA, WEP can be broken in seconds.

Clutch