PDA

View Full Version : OT: For the computer geeks, what's in it for these guys?

Your Old Dog
12-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Got this in an email from a friend. It's a really kind of fun arcade style game where you shoot deer and advance from state to state. I dinked around with it for quite awhile when it came to me. What's in it for the guys who sponsor this site? Seems like a lot of bandwidth if all they get is the honor of letting you play their game?

Here's the link:
http://www.versuscountrybagamonsterbuck.com/

mochinist
12-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Just a guess on my part but it keeps you coming back to their site and gets new users to their site.

Nice some free targets to print http://www.versuscountry.com/cpage.aspx?id=2885

kendall
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
As Mochinist says, it keeps you coming back
They've got advertising coming in, so it's not that big of an expense for them.

the game most likely runs almost entirely on your computer, so except for the initial 'download' there's very little bandwidth being used.

Ken.

Evan
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM
For the suspicious we have some items to consider.

The domain name is "versuscountry.com"

The registrant address is located in Herndon , Virginia which is where CIA headquarters is located.

The zip code of the registrant is 20172 which is:

Mailing Address -- C/O NORTHWEST F C, UNION PO BOX 5068, HERNDON VA 20172. (Northwest FCU [Federal Credit Union] seems to be for personnel of the CIA, National GeoSpatial Intelligence Agency at Building 213, National Reconnaissance Office, personnel assigned or detailed to the Department of Homeland Security, ODNI [Office of the Director of National Intelligence], and member companies such as AFIO [Association For Intelligence Officers, officially Association of Former Intelligence Officers].)

RetiredFAE
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
For the suspicious we have some items to consider.

The domain name is "versuscountry.com"

The registrant address is located in Herndon , Virginia which is where CIA headquarters is located.

The zip code of the registrant is 20172 which is:

Mailing Address -- C/O NORTHWEST F C, UNION PO BOX 5068, HERNDON VA 20172. (Northwest FCU [Federal Credit Union] seems to be for personnel of the CIA, National GeoSpatial Intelligence Agency at Building 213, National Reconnaissance Office, personnel assigned or detailed to the Department of Homeland Security, ODNI [Office of the Director of National Intelligence], and member companies such as AFIO [Association For Intelligence Officers, officially Association of Former Intelligence Officers].)

That's my former employer you're talking about Evan! And we NEVER did or do anything sneaky, suspicious, or underhanded. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Evan
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm guessing there will be an unusual amount of internal covert activity aimed at finding people who might have plans to do "something" re the future pres of the US.

Suppose the game is some sort of profiling test? I don't think I am going to try it. I'm on enough lists already (former nuke delivery boy).

John Stevenson
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm on enough lists already (former nuke delivery boy).

Wot on that electric bike ?

Evan
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
US Army Nike Hercules Missile Company at Fort Baker, California. They change out the warheads for inspection from time to time. Somebody gets elected to drive the Hiab truck with the lead pig on the back up and down the really steep roads to the missile batterys. That was me. I did my own brake inspections, thank you.

Fort Baker has long since been closed.

You can still see where everything was though.

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics5/fbaker.jpg