PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the new Craftsman Cross-Force twisted wrenches?

winchman
01-01-2009, 05:13 AM
I saw them in the store the other day.
http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00946521000?hei=100&wid=100&op_sharpen=1

Seems like a pretty good idea, and they felt good. Anybody here using them?

Roger

dhammer
01-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I bought a set of similar looking wrenches from ACE Hardware, on sale for$9.99. The finnish is good and the wrench feels comfortable in my hand.

They come with a life time guarantee so we'll see how they hold up.

Steve

aboard_epsilon
01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I was having a look at one of these before christmas ..and thought to myself ..when i dected the 1/4 inch slop in the jaws ..."hope no one buys me one of these .".... they didnt, thank god !

Never seen such a POS

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EGM1ZM?smid=A2G7B63FOSFZJZ&tag=dealt5834-20&linkCode=asn

all the best.markj

Bill Pace
01-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Getting off track from Rogers request ----

But I DID get the "wrench:rolleyes:" that Mark is referring to- the Black & Decker 'electric' crescent wrench, for Christmas last year, and its every bit as bad as you thought, Mark:eek:...truly, its virtually unuseable!

andy_b
01-01-2009, 11:07 AM
every time i go into the local Sears i look at those crossforce wrenches. they do look kind of neat. then i think to myself, "why?" i mean, they are just a combination wrench with the end twisted 90 degrees. and then i don't buy them.
i'd just like to talk to someone who actually used them to see why they would be better (or worth the cost to upgrade) than my current combo wrench set. i also have the ratcheting combo set, so even that aspect doesn't call out to me.

andy b.

KDuffy
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Why? It appears that the farmer force multiplication is impossible. The open jaw is the wrong direction for linking them together!

More seriously, I have a Proto 10 inch adjustable with the wide handle, (as wide as my 15" Williams) it is immencely more comfortable to put a lot of pressure on than the normal skinny 10" and 12" adjustables from Cresent. I expect with these if the wrenches fit the fasteners right, that they would be very comfortable to put a lot of pressure on. My hands are getting older and less bulletproof than when I was 20, so I pay attention to such more than I used to. I am still quite young, but hopefully getting smarter.
Kevin

Lu47Dan
01-01-2009, 12:23 PM
every time i go into the local Sears i look at those crossforce wrenches. they do look kind of neat. then i think to myself, "why?" i mean, they are just a combination wrench with the end twisted 90 degrees. and then i don't buy them.
i'd just like to talk to someone who actually used them to see why they would be better (or worth the cost to upgrade) than my current combo wrench set. i also have the ratcheting combo set, so even that aspect doesn't call out to me.

andy b.
Andy , I have used them , but do not own any as of yet . The reason for the twist is to put the flat of the wrench where the pressure on your hands is being exerted . A regular combination wrench is maybe a 3/8" thick , and the edge of the wrenches body is where you are pulling against , the Crossforce wrench you are pulling against the flat of the wrench body . More surface area lowers the "felt" force to do the same work . I do not think that they will ever replace the standard wrench design but they are nice for heavy pulling on a old POS nut or bolt that is rusty or seized . I will add a set to my tool box when my shop money allows . Dan