PDA

View Full Version : OT: Someone's new favorite uncle

wierdscience
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice find in the garage-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1103849/The-eccentric-uncle-left-garage--containing-6m-Bugatti-supercar.html

jcarter
01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Check out www.intuh.net/barnfinds . Another rare discovery.

bruto
01-01-2009, 11:51 PM
I got up close to one of the other surviving examples of that Bugatti a few years ago at an "Art of the Automobile" show in Montreal. Whatever you thought of it from pictures, it's better up close. In pictures it looks big, but in person it's actually very small, light and exquisitely proportioned. The style is stunning in a weird sort of way. If you've never seen the details, among other things the fenders are made of two pieces, and the standing seam is riveted. Imagine the car Captain Nemo might have driven when he went to visit the City of Lost Children, and you're getting close.

kendall
01-02-2009, 05:11 AM
One of my best friends is really into Chryslers.
Years ago while out four wheeling we found an old barn that had a bunch of old Chryslers behind it, stopped to check them out and looked in the barn. There were at least 40 old dodge cars in there, old 60's muscle, an old airstream, some of the old wooden wheel 'dodge brothers' cars and other classics, and stacks of parts everywhere. We spent weeks tracing down the owner. He didn't want to sell a one of them, just wanted to let them sit in the barn.
Watched that barn fall apart for about 15 years before it finally collapsed and crushed all the cars.
Last time I saw it people were out there with dozers and backhoes loading the cars up. After talking to the clean up guys, found out that the owner had paid them to get rid of the cars. Charlie and I were both saying 'WHAT???'

Nothing like the bugatti, but a sad thing to see.

Ken.

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 06:14 AM
There are a lot of stories such as this going round as urban myths, some are based on part fact and and because this sort of thing happened there were true gems.

Have you noticed that someone always knows someone who found one of these barns :rolleyes:

As many know I was involved with old bikes for many years and during that time I got to know a guy at Heanor in Derbyshire who had the most amazing collection called Colin Lomax, over the years we got to be good friends.
Colin was ace at sniffing out old finds and he told me of a barn in either Devon or Cornwall that was run as a small garage in the 1920's. the guy who ran it also did his own form of credit and when the crash of 29 came about he had to call in some of the vehicles and it sent him a bit weird.
the story goes he just bricked the barn up and went to live with his daughter.

I had heard of this before but whether it was an urban myth I don't know, I wouldn't have thought the wall street crash would have affected rural Devon and Cornwall in that way ? maybe ?

Anyway Colin spent hours trying to get leads on this place, even taking holidays down there, he found many people who knew of it but none who knew where it was.

Later on Colin bought a small bike shop in Heanor dealing in modern bikes and installed a manager to run it and it was quite successful, that much so he decided to move just out the town.

He bought 4 terraced housed and got permission to knock them all thru and turn them into a motor cycle shop. The end house had a dirt track at the end leading to the backs of the houses and a small brick workshop.

When Colin got access to this it was a time capsule with small lathes and mills in it, papers dated 1945 and parts all over.

It turned out the guy who owned it made small screws and bolts for the war effort and as soon as war finished he just locked up and moved abroad, his daughter owned the house and told Colin the story.

I went up one night and catalogued all the machines so he could sell them, most were American, quite a few south bends and a load of small lever feed Brown and Sharpe mills. So that was one urban legend that did have some substance.

David Powell
01-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Very briefly, before WWI the British Wolseley co began to export large cars to Ontario. In about 1925 they closed their Toronto depot and sold off the remaining spares. A fellow bought the spares to heep his car going and later, , bought other big pre war Wolseleys and ran them as the fancy took him.He gave up running them , locked the barn and didnt bother again about 1940, after all they were just worthless old cars. A young engineer moved to Toronto from Britain in the early 5os and was somewhat interested by his neighbours vague accounts of her grandads old cars. Eventually he went to see the barn, bought the lot, and has spent a long lifetime restoring and running a fleet of pre 1914 Wolseleys, from tourers to limos. We, that is Toronto society of Model Engineers have been delighted by his accounts of the work done and the attendance of these priceless antiques at some of our functions. Charles Neville wrote a book about his adventure, I believe it is called Wolseleys in Canada if I remember correctly. Regards David Powell.

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Just remembered something.
About 6 or 7 years ago went on holiday to Cyprus, now Cyprus is split 75 / 25 with the Greeks in the bottom larger bit and the Turks in the top bit.

There is a border with crossing points on it and visitor with non Greek passports can go into the Turkish sector.

The border runs thru the town of Nicosia and there is a dead man's land on the Turkish side, whole swathes of the town just abandoned as they deported the Greek citizens. You can stand on the border gate and see this ruin, bombed houses, etc just like a war zone which it was.

In a derelict car showroom are two Austin / Morris 1100's, brand new but damaged but because of the weather are in good condition rust wise.

Your Old Dog
01-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I was working one day and drove by an old farm house that had about 7 old tractors displayed out on the front lawn. I stopped in and asked if I could come back with a reporter and do a story on them. The guy says "sure, but there's more in the barns" The guy said most were free as people knew he liked them and many locals offered them up to him just to get rid of them.

The guy was about 65, had three barns so full of old steam tractors that you couldn't walk through to look at them as they were packed in so tight. If he had one, he had well over a hundred. He said his dream was to fix them all up some day and start a steam tractor museum. The odd part was, he was maybe 65 and hadn't started on fixing up the first one yet! He also claimed to have, as he put it, "at least 7 complete blacksmith setups". He had a more modern building that was his old fire truck collection with something like 8 trucks, one an old hook and ladder. He also had an old Model A or T fire engine with the original hand crank siren but it wasn't complete.

I found the place again a few years ago and asked if I could come back some day and photograph it for myself and his daughter said yes. Actually I was thinking of posting it here. I waited for good weather and then forgot about it. Now that all my camera equipment has been sold off due to the mangled ankle I can chock it off as another one of life's missed opportunities. The guys yard is just full of old signage and gas station stuff all over. It just oozes charm to anyone who likes old iron.

bruto
01-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Some of these stories may be urban legends, but some are not.

For example, here in Vermont a few years ago, an elderly couple died, and left their entire estate to a religous organization. There was a big tax issue, because they had never paid income tax, but it was ultimately resolved in their favor when it appeared they'd never owed any. When the estate was opened up, it turned out they'd been collecting stuff for many years, and had, among other things, one of the world's largest collections of Stutz Bearcats, stuffed into barns, sheds, etc. There was a split-window VW in the loft of a barn, etc. etc. Amazing, and no legend. The auction brought bidders from all over the world.

I used to live in far upstate New York in the 70's, and occasionally shopped in Massena. There was a place on the way in to town, where someone had lined up dozens of old cars, all side by side, most from the 40's and 50's, many apparently in quite nice shape. He was said to be entirely unwilling to part with anything. I went back through there twenty-odd years later. The cars were still there, all rusted and sinking into the ground.

A friend of mine once took me to a place, somewhere near Chatham, NY, whose owner ran a junkyard for antique tractors and trucks. Another collector, he would not part with anything that he liked, and among the collection he had nearly one-of-a-kind trucks with trees growing through them, an iron-wheeled four wheel drive John Deere tractor from the earliest years of such things, with one axle broken or missing. My friend came by year after year, offering essentially "whatever you name" to buy that tractor, but it was simply "not for sale," as was an enormous steam-powered snowplow, the Hudson deluxe pickup, etc. etc. I would not be at all surprised if the stuff is still there, still rusting away, unless the owner died and it was either dispersed or crushed.

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Some of these stories may be urban legends, but some are not.

That's true Google The Schlumpf Collection, somewhere I have the book on this when it was first discovered but can't see to lay my hands on it although it's all on the web now.

ERBenoit
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
About a half hours drive from my home is Yaworski's Haul of Fame Transportation Museum. I haven't been there for a number of years.

http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=1695

If you read the link, not noted but, the "End of the Line Mack" truck is led be the "Firstof the line"

Well worth the trip. There is (or was) more stuff outside than inside.