PDA

View Full Version : Smithing a P14 rifle

hwingo
01-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Has anyone had experience smithing a P14 rifle action. I was given a P14 action that has been sporterized and I want to barrel and chamber for a magnum round, e.g., 300 WIN Mag. Years ago I attempted to chamber a P14 in 30-06 and I failed because the cartridge did not feed properly. I did not have feeding problems when building a 338-06 on a Model 1917 action because this action was originally built for a 30-06 where as the P14 was built for a 303.

I am in hopes that someone on this forum has chambered the P14 in a rimless magnum cartridge with no feeding issues. If so, I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Harold

MickeyD
01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
What is a P-14? I have built a couple of rifles on Mouser actions before and they are nice actions to work with.

JCHannum
01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
The P14 is the British Enfield, it is the same as the US P17 that was chambered for the 30-06. It eventually became the Remington Model 30 in peacetime. It is a very stout action and well suited to magnum conversions.

I have no experience with the P14, but the bolt face will need to be bushed for a smaller cartridge head, and extractor and ejector modifications needed for proper functioning.

The rails of floor of the action of the P17 are basically parallel and straight, I would guess the P14 might be wider at the rear to accomodate the rimmed cartridge, and might need to be closed up to control a rimless. Ditto the magazine follower and magazine box, parts from a P17 or Model 30 might be made to fit.

gzig5
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
You might find some info by doing a search here in the Gunsmithing section.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9411043

If you don't find what you are looking for post the question. There is also a Big Bore forum where a lot of P17 an P14's are used for some huge cartridges.

hwingo
01-06-2009, 06:45 AM
The P14 is the British Enfield, it is the same as the US P17 that was chambered for the 30-06. It eventually became the Remington Model 30 in peacetime. It is a very stout action and well suited to magnum conversions.

I have no experience with the P14, but the bolt face will need to be bushed for a smaller cartridge head, and extractor and ejector modifications needed for proper functioning.

The rails of floor of the action of the P17 are basically parallel and straight, I would guess the P14 might be wider at the rear to accomodate the rimmed cartridge, and might need to be closed up to control a rimless. Ditto the magazine follower and magazine box, parts from a P17 or Model 30 might be made to fit.

I think you may be right about closing the rails nearing the back on the P14. Actually that would be quite a task for me. Maybe I should consider opening the rails nearing the front and working with magnum cases.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Harold

JCHannum
01-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Harold, I have a P17 action in my drawer of possibles, but had never looked at a P14 close up until after writing that post. On Saturday, I had a chance to look at one at a local show. While not a direct comparison, I really could not see a noticeable difference in the rails or magazine follower.

I can take measurements or photos of the P17 action if that would help determine any differences.

CLARKMAG
03-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Harold MacFarland's book "Introduction to gunsmithing" covers sporterizing Model 1917 and pattern '14 Enfield rifles from page 110 to page 136.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-modern-gunsmithing-Harold-MacFarland/dp/0064634264

Harold MacFarland's book "Gunsmithing Simplified" covers sporterizing Model 1917 and pattern '14 Enfield rifles from page 75 to page 86.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Harold%20E%20MacFarland

slugger
03-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I chambered a pattern 14 Enfield in 300 WBY and it feeds fine. A-square use to build all their rifles on P-14s. I don't know that they still exist these days though. It has those funky square threads, coned breach and extractor cut- no Rem 700 job for sure!