PDA

View Full Version : Skin problems O T

Boucher
01-02-2009, 08:10 AM
With the dry humidity conditions and working with cleaning things in the shop, I have been having problems with the skin on my fingers cracking. The Dermatologist recommended Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Comes in a 16 oz jar at Wal Mart. This is the best thing of this sort that I have found. It is better than Utter Baum that I used for years.

torker
01-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the tip Byron.
I think a lot of weldors deal with this. Wearing heavy gloves...all the heat.
I suffer pretty bad from that....the ends of my fingers split wide open.
Especially in the winter with a woodstove going all the time. It gets very dry in the shop.
I'm going to try that stuff.
Russ

bfburk
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I have problems with my skin, also. I will try the Cetaphil.
Thanks for a really timely post!

HSS
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I have the same problem in the winter and have used Corn Huskers cause I can't stand the greasy feel that the wife's lotion leaves me with. Corn Huskers doesn't leave me with the grease feel.:D Nexttime I go to Wal@#$% I'll see if I can find the other stuff you mentioned.

Pat

Cracked skin on the fingers hurt like a mother..........

A.K. Boomer
01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Cracked skin on the fingers hurt like a mother..........

I hate getting "stress cracks" there also, I really try to avoid the onset because they will do nothing but get worse, ---- If you have to keep pushing on with them then tape them up - the tape will hold in moisture and keep pressure on them to keep them from getting worse.

Wanna know the best way to deal with them before they get totally out of control?, You guys will laugh and maybe iv built one to many formula V connecting rods but in effect what you are dealing with is "stress cracks"
So do a little port and polishing:p , I get a razor blade and take them down to the minimum thickness before bleeding and match the surrounding area with "thin skin",,, this enables the area to flex as a unit instead of taking the easy path which is the crack and making it deeper, You can also use 80 grit sandpaper, then apply copious amounts of good lotion -- im going to check into the cetaphil stuff, you dont want some lame lotion, in fact you want a stick to your ribs lotion --- I use chap stick sometimes because its got wax in it...

kf2qd
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I heard a number of years ago that the problem is lack of oil in the skin. I have gotten just a touch of vegetable oil on my hand and rubbed it in well and the dry skin problem goes away. Doesn't take much and if you rub it in well there is no greasyness to deal with, and your hands will feel so much better.

Evan
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I use plain mineral oil for general purpose cutting fluid on the lathe. Keeps the hands nice and soft too.

saltmine
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I used to use "Corn Huskers Lotion" for years. All of the dirt, grease and harsh solvents tore my hands up pretty good. Then, of all people, my Mother suggested I try a lotion used to condition cows' nipples for milking...It's called "Bag Balm"....works like a charm....I have been known to sand or grind down a callus with a die grinder, and smear "bag Balm" into the freshly exposed skin.

Fortunately, I'm retired now...I don't have to get my hands dirty, unless I want to.

Funny thing...After I retired, it was almost a year before all of the imbedded dirt and grease finally came out of my hands...

kc5ezc
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
My dermatologist (sp) recommended "Beta-Mide" lotion. Got 25% urea and some lactic acid. Seems to work for me better than Corn huskers lotion or bag balm. Generally not in local stores. Found it at Amazon for $20/Pt. YMMV.

barts
01-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I find the Bag Balm stuff works very well indeed; I was turned onto it by the guides on a river trip in the southwest... they were constantly getting wet hands, rowing and then washing for food prep.... They used Bag Balm to prevent their hands from cracking, which would make rowing the rafts rather difficult....

If my heels start cracking, I put Bag Balm on at night and wear a pair of socks... the problem goes away very quickly. I always take it to Burning Man, as the 10-15% humidity and alkali dust in the Black Rock Desert can raise hob w/ dry skin. It also seems to help heal cuts...

Your Old Dog
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I like the utter stuff better. ba dah boom

An old machinist trick, put it on before you need it and it works better.

doctor demo
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I like the utter stuff better. ba dah boom

An old machinist trick, put it on before you need it and it works better.

That is like calling the fire department right befor the fire starts so theyeads up:D .

The problem I have been having lately beside grand canyon sized cracks on the sides of my fingers is the splitting or tearing of the skin where the nail bed meets the finger tip, it is allmost like a razor cut and you can't keep it clean.

I'm gong to try the new suggestions as well, I don't care for the corn huskers stuff.

Steve

torker
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
LOL...if the cracks get bad enough...I just crazy glue them together.
It stings a bit at first but sure feels better after.

GadgetBuilder
01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
When I know I'm going to be exposed to solvents, grease, oil, etc. I use Series 8 barrier Cream. The Glycerol prevents stuff from penetrating the skin and removing the natural oils. Not greasy or slippery in use. Plus, dirt washes right off afterwords since the glycerol is water soluble but not oil or gas soluble.

http://www.franmar.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

No connection, etc. just a happy user.

John

Scishopguy
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
The problem I have been having lately beside grand canyon sized cracks on the sides of my fingers is the splitting or tearing of the skin where the nail bed meets the finger tip, it is allmost like a razor cut and you can't keep it clean.
Steve

I have had this same problem since I started in the trade. I always carry a small nail trimmer to nip off the little bit of skin off flush before it gets torn off. When I used to do a lot of work on dies, with oil stones, they told us to put a little DTE Light (10 wt machine oil) in the pan with the kerosene that the stones soaked in. It really helped keep the hands from drying out. The difficult thing is that we all have to have our hands in greases and solvents a lot of the time and don't always take the time or think to use lotion as much as we should. I use the Cornhuskers and the bag baum a lot. It helps but doesn't completely cure the problem. Prolly nothing will do that.

saltmine
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
The HR people saw how my hands were getting, when I worked in the County shop... So, in their infinite whisdom, they issued a directive that all employees in the department must wear rubber gloves....I'd go through a whole box of 'em every day, before I got tired of changing them...
Five minutes wearing latex gloves and they'd be hanging from my hands in shreads. HR wasn't always right....They made us wear hard-hats while we worked under cars on the lift...four guys, including myself, ended up going to the chiropractor with neck compression injuries..HR didn't realize that the hard-hat makes you an inch-and-a-half taller....I still have twinges in my neck...Thanks HR

kendall
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM

I'm gong to try the new suggestions as well, I don't care for the corn huskers stuff.

Steve

Eat fatty foods. Never had that problem till my wife decided to start buying everything low-fat, after suffering a while I determined that it was the problem, started eating a nice greasy hamburger a few times a week and the problems gone.
Not only that but I don't get as cold in the winter, and I don't get hungry a couple hours after eating like I did with the low fat stuff. Not to mention, I also enjoy my meals more.

Ken.

edit: Personally, I can't stand oily lotions of any type, hand lotion, sun tan/screen, anything drives me nuts. Odd because I have no qualms about digging into a greasy or oily stack of parts and building something,tearing into a car is no problem, but if I put hand lotion on I can't wait to wash my hands.

gunbuilder
01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I feel you pain, I had the same trouble. I would be suffering just like all of you if I hadn't been using GOOP hand cleaner. I did everything, the super glue, the Corn Huskers lotion, just didn't use the Bag Balm (although it was right there in the dairy barn).

Nothing works better than using Goop hand cleaner. I use nothing else, no soap period. I do have a little trouble with the hang nail thing, not bad just a few once and a while. I buy Goop in the tub from WM the big chain store. Used to be $1.00 a tub, the price is up some, but not that bad.

Usual disclaimer, just a happy customer. I hope it works as good for you as it does for me.

Thanks,
Paul

Lew Hartswick
01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Eat fatty foods.
Ken.

Not a good idea if youve had a heart attack. (or even if you havent)
It tends to clog up your arteries.
I admit it tastes a lot better. :-(
...lew...

HSS
01-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Boomer, I bought some of that Cetifel (sp??) this morning and I think I am going to have to wash my hands in some gasoline to get rid of the greasy feeling on my hands.:eek: LOL I like Corn Huskers better.

Evan, I also bought some mineral oil and gonna give that a try, in a few minutes, on the lathe.

Thanks for the tips.:)

Pat

A.K. Boomer
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
When I know I'm going to be exposed to solvents, grease, oil, etc. I use Series 8 barrier Cream. The Glycerol prevents stuff from penetrating the skin and removing the natural oils. Not greasy or slippery in use. Plus, dirt washes right off afterwords since the glycerol is water soluble but not oil or gas soluble.

http://www.franmar.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

No connection, etc. just a happy user.

John

Avon makes (or used to make anyways) a prep. lotion called silicon glove you apply it before working and it gets into all the skin cracks and imperfections and sets up a good barrier, for those who dont like to use gloves its a really good defense as like you mention it helps in the clean up after as its better to have the cracks filled up with this stuff then dark black grease, if your religious with it it will improve scoring with the ladies:p

ptjw7uk
01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Best thing I used as a kid was Melrose http://www.melrose-skincare.co.uk/history.asp as they say it does what is says on the tin, not sure if it is available over the pond.

Peter