PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture - think safety

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/welder.jpg

No not the guards on the grinder, that lives there whilst it's not being used.

lwalker
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Burn yourself on that iron?

dockrat
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I was wondering that too but was trying to trace the wiring to see if it WAS plugged in :D

Astronowanabe
01-02-2009, 08:02 PM
well there is that red (POS) lead clamp down next to the nice aluminum conductor
that is likely connected to the properly grounded welding table ...

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Red clamp next to the aluminium conductor ? No that red thing is a toolbox, the aluminium bar is ready to go on the band saw.

Yes the soldering iron and grinder are plugged in but not switched on.

Highpower
01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Grinder cord wrapped around the ON lever? :confused:

Grinder plugged into front of welder??? (Can't tell by the pic.)

Welder ON = grinder ON? :confused:

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Grinder cord wrapped around the ON lever? :confused:

No, as mentioned it's just there ready for next time, lead will be unwound before being switched on.

Grinder plugged into front of welder??? (Can't tell by the pic.)

Socket wired into welder, keeps leads from being dragged over hot bench.

Welder ON = grinder ON? :confused:

No each socket is switched, white bits in between the plugs.

dockrat
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I would think that the general clutter would be a safety factor.

speedy
01-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Grinder should be resting on its back (mine has a support bracket there). Grinder disc resting on the cord?

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Bloody hell Ernie I tidied up for the picture.
No it's nothing to do with the grinder cable.

lane
01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Too much clutter.

snowman
01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Is the sheilding on that thar welding line next to the aluminum thing melted or cut away?

john hobdeclipe
01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Do I see some bare wire poking through the insulation? Yeah, down there next to that piece of Aluminum.

DFMiller
01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Too Little Clutter

motorworks
01-02-2009, 08:48 PM
cable/cord nipped/caugth in the door? (s. iron cord)

Is the welder fan cooled? not much room around it

.RC.
01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I dunno.. It does not contain a naked/semi naked woman????

John Stevenson
01-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Damn, she musta moved outa da frame.

lane
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
The fire extinguisher is under that pile behind the welder and the welder is on fire.

Oldbrock
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Looks like normal stuff lying around waiting to be used. The soldering irons are not usually switched so it's hot and could burn an unwary wrist. Other than that I see nothing to set my alarm bells ringing. Probably spot something else after a single malt. Peter

Thomas Staubo
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I think it's something with the welder...

...but what???

Getting warmer?:)

dockrat
01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Well I hope he is gunna tell us before I go to bed or I wont sleep all night :D

aboard_epsilon
01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
all i can think of ..
is you got that socket wired somehow to inside the welder off the single phase input ..or if its a three phase welder ...you are using one leg of the three phase .

which means that you have to have the welder turned on to operate that socket ...

i don't see an on/off switch..........so your welder is left live for many hours ..fire hazard ..if you leave it on over the weekend

or something to do with the neutral not being switched off ...when its connected to one leg of three phase ..

i don't know .there are many unidentifiable objects in the picture

all the best.markj

2ManyHobbies
01-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Little extra pressure on yon wire-feed? About to pull a dinse?

motorworks
01-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Well after 2 glasses of RED wine I now see the problem.....
There are no women in the pic....
and the men are not wearing the right "protection" :]

rockrat
01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Too much clutter in the area for welding. Looks as though there is a cardboard box piled in the area. Thats a big no no everywhere I have worked. Sparks can fly into a pile and have their way with anything in there.

There is also some funny looking plugs on the front of that buzbox. Looks all weird, should they not be twist locks..... :D

Outside of that, I have no clue. But since its nearly 10pm here that makes 3am over there, I'm guessing that we wont know what the problem was till your tomorrow.

rock~

Oldbrock
01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Rocktat, those are limey plugs, they look like that. Peter

jacampb2
01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
the whip for the mig is missing a bunch of insulation near the ground

BillH
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
looks fine to me

alanganes
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Is that a pulley in the upper right hand corner without a belt guard??

KiddZimaHater
01-02-2009, 11:33 PM
UUUHHHHHHH .........
I give up.
What's the answer?

nheng
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
The box in the lower right corner is full of blasting caps :D :D ?

fasto
01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Ran out of shielding gas and switched to propane? :eek:

Oldbrock
01-03-2009, 12:44 AM
He's gone to sleep, won't remember what it was in the morning. Just having us on, there's nothing wrong I can see. Peter

lugnut
01-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I think he set his beer down somewhere in the mess and can't find it and wants us to do it for him:D
Mel

A.K. Boomer
01-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Could the welder being grounded (touching) the welding ground table have any consequences if it were used in that position?

Tinkerer
01-03-2009, 01:12 AM

No not the guards on the grinder, that lives there whilst it's not being used.

:eek: Well where to start.

1. Iron poking above the table top... could stab your hand.
2. Cord wrapped around grinder... and the wheel looks funky but could be the poor quality of the photo.
3. Stinger cable looks tore and it looks like it's run under the alum. bar could be shock hazard.
4. Bar is raised because of the stinger cable... could trip on that.

But then I'm likely over looking the big red flag.

J Tiers
01-03-2009, 01:14 AM
OSHA inspector would have a fit on the spot...... When the paramedics arrived, they'd call the fire inspector, and then HE'd have a fit, and they'd have to haul both of them to the hospital.

Hopefully the inspector's assistants would be young enough not to have heart attacks, and they would proceed to write up about 7 or 8 violations in that picture alone.

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Damn, she musta moved outa da frame.

Was there a naked woman sitting on the welder?:D

Roy Andrews
01-03-2009, 02:01 AM
well i hope your happy. i woke up my wife and she didn't know either and now she isn't happy! just remember its all fun and games until your sleeping on the couch.

John Stevenson
01-03-2009, 06:37 AM
You all have short memories.

I posted this pic or very close it it a couple of years ago and got crucified.

Mark came the closest.
The double socket is wired into the welder supply in this case it's 240 v single phase at 30 amps plugged into one of those red sockets like Mark shown in the Conduit post.
Whilst it's plugged in the socket is live, the welder is switched on by the red switch just below the socket.

The grinder is rated at 5 amp and the soldering iron is rated at 2 amp.

There is nothing wrong over here with this setup, it passes code and is perfectly legal.

BTW the lead from the welder, stinger ?, is actually the MiG torch and is fine, it's just a mark on the outer where something has wiped the dust off that makes it look damaged.

Peter.
01-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Might be perfectly legal but the plugs are very vulnerable in that environment. Low down and near to stock that might topple or get dropped, and hard-cased plugs that break easily. My yellow-box transformer gets 3 or 4 new plugs a year and they are the more flexible type.

John Stevenson
01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Could be a valid point but they have been on there for about 7 years now with no damage.
The socket is steel clad and the plugs are a sort of semi flexible plastic and will withstand being trod on a couple of times unless you get them on an angle and the pins lever the sides away.

NickH
01-03-2009, 08:20 AM
The fuse in the grinder plug is 1/4 copper bar like the one in the plug on my MIG ? :D
Nick

Your Old Dog
01-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Well, I got here late but will tell you what my answer would have been.

If you look closely you will see that there is no phone within easy reach of where John might call for help after a nasty fall into the pile. Closer examination reveals no fire extinguisher with which to put out the fire caused in part by the debris. A First Aide Medical kit mounted on the right side of the welder could come in useful for a person laying in the pile and would have been within easy reach :D

To your credit, the elevated section of aluminum makes a great burglar alarm in the event someone broke in. After tripping on the aluminum and sticking themselves with the stinger, the blood trail would have taken you right to them.

macona
01-03-2009, 08:55 AM
The grinder is rated at 5 amp and the soldering iron is rated at 2 amp.

There is nothing wrong over here with this setup, it passes code and is perfectly legal.

Same here. Most tig machines have an outlet for running water coolers and grinders. Usually have their own winding on the main transformer though. And a circuit breaker for the outlet. Cant tell if there is one on the box or not. Dont know what UK plugs are rated for so I am not sure if a CB is even required. But since english plugs are fused I am not sure what the regulations are there.

John Stevenson
01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Cheeky bastich :D
I don't work or weld here, I weld 6 foot away on the other side of the bench.
I carry a phone, there is a first aid kit [ roll of masking tape] on the shelf above.

Fire extinguisher is carried on the fire trucks, 3 off, at the bottom of the road. Bloody hell I pay council tax / rates and you expect me to provide my own fire extinguisher ???????? when it's afree phone call to Dennis

[ Note to the cousins, most fire engines in the UK are made by a company called Dennis who make a lot of urban vehicles, fire engines, dustbin lorry's etc so all firemen are called Dennis :rolleyes: ]

Length of alloy bar is temporary, it was delivered late on Christmas Eve and is going to get sliced up first thing Monday morning so no point putting it on the metal rack.

J.Ramsey
01-03-2009, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=John Stevenson

Fire extinguisher is carried on the fire trucks, 3 off, at the bottom of the road. Bloody hell I pay council tax / rates and you expect me to provide my own fire extinguisher ???????? [/QUOTE]

No fire extinguishers in the shop?
Not very smart when seconds count and you yourself are on fire and the wife is beating you with a towel..

torker
01-03-2009, 09:42 AM
LOL! You guys sure fell for that one!
There's nothing wrong in the pic.
He just wanted to show off that huge chunk of floor he found in front of the welder.

kvom
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I was going to mention the tip of the soldering iron being ready to stab your hand, but someone got there ahead of me.

rwf71
01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Well I don't see where anyone else said , "That angle grinder with no handle for your non-trigger hand". Those things are damn dangerous when you don't have BOTH hands on them , don't ask me how I learned this.:eek:
Rick

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Geez,no wonder I didn't see anything wrong.

My old Lincoln tombstone I cut a hole in the sheetmetal,screwed the outlet to the back and fitted it with a stainless cover plate.

John just took the often traveled "screw gun" attack route:D

BillH
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Part of the problem is the CRAPPY picture quality, I can't tell that it is even switched on.

HSS
01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Well I don't see where anyone else said , "That angle grinder with no handle for your non-trigger hand". Those things are damn dangerous when you don't have BOTH hands on them , don't ask me how I learned this.:eek:
Rick

Not if you owned a Metabo grinder....Grinnnnnn

Pat

lynnl
01-03-2009, 10:53 AM
LOL! You guys sure fell for that one!
There's nothing wrong in the pic.
He just wanted to show off that huge chunk of floor he found in front of the welder.

I think you nailed it Russ!

A.K. Boomer
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Fire extinguisher is carried on the fire trucks, 3 off, at the bottom of the road. Bloody hell I pay council tax / rates and you expect me to provide my own fire extinguisher ???????? when it's afree phone call to Dennis

Well ---- there's the hazard, what an unfair puzzle though - take a small picture of the shop (not that I would want any a larger one:rolleyes: )
and were supposed to guess whats missing in another area?
I think in one form or another your entire shops a hazard but I know how that goes, I trip over stuff and am a slob also but thats where the similarities end as there's one absolute constant and that is that I always know where all three of my fire extinguishers are in home - car and shop, Gotta give it up to J.Ram on this one --- its within his words of "when seconds count" that makes me believe he's either been there before or learned from someone who has............

Your Old Dog
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I carry a phone, there is a first aid kit [ roll of masking tape] on the shelf above.

ROFLMAO! :D :D