PDA

View Full Version : So that is it!

Shed Machinist
08-04-2003, 11:12 PM
I found out what my scorpion eats. I found it in my sink in texas, and after surviving 2 weeks in a sealed sandwich bag i let it live.

But for the first time in a month or two i tryed to put a bug (spider) in the tank and sure enough, that buddy was hungry.

My friend just got back from Irag and he and his friends would get a camel spider (like 8 * 8 *6 i have heard)and some big scorpion and make them fight when bored.

darryl
08-05-2003, 12:36 AM
When I was in Africa many moons ago, I saw, on two separate occasions, very large spiders. Leg spread of about 8 inches. One was called a baboon spider, the other a hunter spider. They navigated by hopping from point to point, not running. Really wierd to see, scared the heck out of me too!
A friend was driving home, and in his driveway was a large snake. It was laying across the road, and as he drove over it, it reared up and spat at his window, which he had closed, luckily. I also saw a chained baboon in someone's yard. It had a really hefty chain on it, and it was straight as an arrow, stretched to the max, with his weight pulling on it. Another scary scene. I would not want to fight with any of these things!
Notice I used the word chain, so this post does indeed belong on this forum! haha

jfsmith
08-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Just remember the story about the fox and the scorpion.

Jerry

SJorgensen
08-05-2003, 03:46 AM
99 percent of this problem is fear. Almost none of these animals would naturally cause any of us any harm. I find my simpathy with the chained animal. I wish I could hand the baboon a knife! Someone needs to think about captivity and oppression. If you don't think about this, it becomes more likely that you, or someone else you know, is in the position of that Baboon.
Spence

We don't live in a sweet modern world of modern triumphs over suffering, we live on a fine edge of rediscovering all of the holocasts that have happened in the lifetime of our fathers.

Spence

SJorgensen
08-05-2003, 04:26 AM
I've been watching Joseph Wilson. If he lives, free speach is real. If he dies then you should take account.
Spence

Shed Machinist
08-05-2003, 07:56 AM
I forgot to mention that it is my "shop" scorpion.

Techtchr
08-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Scorpion? Sorry, but some animals just aren't meant to be kept, mainly because they're ugly. Now those cute fuzzy ones are OK, well except for cats http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

My family has 4 "shop" ferrits, 2 golden retreivers, 1 mutt, 1 turtle,1 guinea pig, 1 bearded dragon (yes she's cute but not fuzzy, lottsa fish and thousands of crickets(food for the Dragon). They all get along well except for the time the mutt knawed the turtle's shell, and one of the ferrits bit the bearded dragon's eye. Its a zoo around here! They're all OK.

On a more serious note, my family's animals are treated very well. I often kid that you could do a lot worse than to be reincarnated as an animal at my house. Unlike their owner they all get fed each day. My wife says I can take care of myself. Dogs have 4 acres to roam, ferrits get about 2 hours to roam the house every day, the dragon has a home that cost a small fortune. All the animals get medical care at the local vet. I think we spent close to $1500 at the vet last year. My wife seems to have a theory that each animal should have a friend to talk to, that is why we pretty much have two of every kind of animal we have (or did). Those people that buy an animal to tie to a tree in their yard, or because it is unusual make me sick. The animals aren't human, but I do believe they have feelings, and should be treated with care.

Matt

Alistair Hosie
08-05-2003, 11:34 AM
I can never understand why people keep some exotic pets in their houses.I have seen a guy on Tv with about two hundred snakes in a small apartment they are cramped up in tiny boxes with glass lids etc this is not even funny.I am expressing purely my own opinion here before anyone gets upset, but I think apart from cats and dogs which have been domesticated for thousands of years to keep pets in a house especially when in a very small space is extremely cruel I would rather see them free.I don't even like to see birds in cages or fish in small bowls or even zoo's don't apeal to me .I remember when I was a young boy being taked by the school to see Glasgow zoo and a lion was in a cage hardly any bigger that it was and pacing up and down and turning from side to side frantically.It appeared to be suffering to me sorry.I apreciate your scorpion is not in this category as you found it in the sink but there are a group of people who seem hell bent on collecting these animals for the sake of it for their own pleasure and the needs of the animals in question take a very distant second place sorry that's just how I feel Alistair

Evan
08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Once upon a time when I was young we (family) were driving down from Mt. Wilson in California, using the back way out which is a seldom used road. It is an arid area on the back side of the mountain and when we hit the bottom my dad slowed to a stop. What we saw was unbelievable. The two lane road was covered from side to side and for a distance of several hundred feet with large tarantula spiders, at least several thousand of them. It was the creepiest thing I have ever seen. Those guys can jump too. We slowly drove through them AFTER rolling up the windows, spiders jumping up the side of the station wagon, leaving a path of smashed spiders. Still makes me shiver to think about it.

Shed Machinist
08-05-2003, 08:38 PM
i figure a scorpion is cool, but it is better for it to be dead, than in a little cage but i took an exception. i think next time i go to texas i will get another one. It would be a site to see so many spiders but scary.

I also found out that if you put 2 different spiders in a medicine bottle, they will probably attack each other. Sometimes they will rip each others legs off and leave them for the scorpion to eat. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

billr
08-05-2003, 08:49 PM
John, you are welcome to all the scorpions you want.

better come get them pretty soon because i am gonna murder them.

Alistair;

used to have a burmese python. snake was about 9-1/2 feet long. weighed about 150. it did have a nice pen that was large and was well fed. gave the snake away because x-wife 2b didn't like it. should have gotten rid of her then and kept snake. it was more trustworthy.

snake is now at st. louis zoo.
bill

Shed Machinist
08-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Maybe i will catch 2 or 3 and just watch them fight until i have one or two.

Techtchr
08-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Allistar,
I haven't been able to ask them directly, but the animals in my house seem pretty content. Ferrits have been domesticated as hunting animals for years, as well as certain types of birds. If you can get over the musky smell of the ferrits, they are wonderful pets. Our ferrits do not bite, and will come when you call them as well as play like a kitten will. They play and wrestle with each other like puppies do. They are also not afraid of the 100 pound golden retreivers that will occasionally step on a tail.

As far as the other pets at my house, except for the fish, they are let out of their cages to roam and go outside (with supervision). They are treated very well, and seem to enjoy their home with us. I do agree with my wife that if possible, you shouldn't have one of a type. I think it is better for their health to have a companion.

IMHO, the big problem with people keeping non-traditional pets is that they don't know how to take care of them, or when they get too big to handle they just stay pend up. The cost of feeding them is also a factor. I kid my wife that the next pet we get will be an Elephant. I've loved them since I was a kid, and when we go to the zoo my daughter and I spend most of our time watching them. Then my wife reminds me that one poop will fill up a wheel barrow, and our barn won't hold enough hay to feed one for even a month. Guess some animals are best off left in their natural habitat, or protected in a high quality zoo.
Matt

ibewgypsie
08-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Does my redheaded girlfriend qualify as a pet?, she don't come near my shop since the snake incident thou.

Alistair Hosie
08-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Matt when I first got married I lived with my wife on a small island here in Scotland. We were given a small shell duck which had a deformed beak and my wife and I hand reared it.It used to sit between our two boxer dogs and shove them out of the basket when it felt like it.It bullied them rotten and the just looked on pitifully I have pics to prove it funniest thing you ever saw.I admire the way you look after your pets I really don't like to se animals in small confined spaces that is what gets me. Keeping snakes 24-7 in a small wooden box hardly ever getting out is another thing I am sure you would agree with me that is not on. Good luck with your large family. Alistair

Thrud
08-07-2003, 12:16 AM
My cat sleeps where she wants. When I am really sick she keeps me warm by laying on the pillow to cover my bald spot. That purring sure is relaxing - must be a wonderful thing to be a kitten. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

BTW - unlike girlfriends/ex's cats don't rip your heart out and stomp it into the dirt, take your tools, your Harley, or steal your money. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 08-06-2003).]