PDA

View Full Version : OT/ My newest time waster...

torker
01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Geez...I can hardly get any time in the shop lately...all I do is shovel or plow snow.
Only have a couple more "shuvlins" to go and this 65 foot long heap will be right up to the roof....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/IMG_0056.jpg

There is actually a Jeep and a T-Bird under there some place....
I had to dig my sled out...again...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/IMG_0057.jpg
Man...it never stops...plowing twice a day...shoveling this roof (70X22 on one side alone)...then shoveling the motel roof...10,000 sq ft....shovel the shop roof...
Weird year...still not seeing the global warming.
It's been damn cold but still snowing. The snow is fine like sand and very heavy.
Russ...not retired...just tired...LOL!

mochinist
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Thats insane Russ, I've grown up in the desert and never even seen snow like that, hell I saw a girl walking in short shorts today when I was at the store.:D

Mcgyver
01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
heck, I grew up in Canada and have never seen snow like that :D

Ken_Shea
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I, YI YI what a mess.

Winter sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISoyP44aXI&feature=related

lazlo
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
My daughter is 5 1/2 and she's never seen snow. It's going to be high of 79 tomorrow in Austin -- I'll be thinking about you Russ :D

Ken_Shea
01-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Torker,
Just tell lazlo that you have never seen 112 F for a high and you will be thinking about him come summer :D

MTNGUN
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Same here. I plowed 50 miles today (25 miles each way) and the same 50 yesterday. The county road in my neighborhood is not maintained by the county in the winter, so we locals have to do our own road maintenance. And we do a better job than the county anyway.

Plus, I totaled my rear bumper while trying to pull a full size Bronco out of the borrow pit this morning.

I did have to machine a couple of pins for my snow plow, and fabricate the lower mount, so this is kinda on topic. :o)

Let's see if I can scare up a pic or two.

Neighbor's 5th wheel blew over last night.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/trailer1.jpg

What's left of neighbor's outhouse. Other half was last seen flying over the hill. My home/shop in the background.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/outhouse.jpg

Ken_Shea
01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
My gawd mtngun, do you even have roads, do you get electric ? :D

lane
01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I can not imagine why any one in their right mine would want to live where it snows. Got my Valkyrie out th day and went for a ride about 79 I would freeze solid up their. What would happen if you bid not shovel it I want even rack leaves.

Willy
01-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, looks like my place!
I couldn't sleep last night, did the math and I had a fully loaded B-train semi (140,000 lbs.) parked on top of the house.:eek:

It's -20c out right now and clear but by Sunday it's gonna be the start of five days of heavy wet snow or rain so that's how I spent my day too.

Yeah, what a waste of time, between shovelin snow and puttin wood in the shop heater that's all I got time for.

I'll never complain about mowin the lawn again.

torker
01-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Ken...LOL! This place is awful in the winter but the nicest place I've owned in the summer.
I don't get the real heat the rest of the country gets...the sun doesn't shine here long enough.
I would wilt in heat like Robert lives with...holy smoke!
Lane...if I don't shovel it...the snow melts underneath and backs up under the shingles...flooding the insulation.
and...if you have a lot of this heavy snow on the roof...it's like Willy says...a huge amount of weight in the roof.
If it ever rains...you are in big trouble then as the weight becomes enormous.

Willy...your getting tired of it too huh?
So..we're getting more snow huh?
Oh great! I'm running out of places to put it. My plow truck isn't great for piling snow.
And it's way too cold to try to run my old backhoe. I need to take the whole front off it and redo the cradle bushings. That aint getting done til spring.
Going to be a nice day to go to a funeral tomorrow...it's not going to snow for a change...or so they said.

MTNGUN
01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
My gawd mtngun, do you even have roads, do you get electric ? :D

Electric, yes, but kinda like a 3rd world country. Power flickers are a regular event in the winter. Come to think of it, they are a regular event in the summer, too. Plays hell with open loop CNC.

Roads ...... we call them roads, but it is open to debate. One lane logging roads, complete with logging trucks, no guard rail, if you go off the road, it's several thousand feet down.

Lane, you are absolutely right. No one in their right mind would live here. Stay away, don't even think about moving here, especially Californians.

Ken_Shea
01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Lane, you are absolutely right. No one in their right mind would live here. Stay away, don't even think about moving here, especially Californians.

Something in that says MTNGUN likes his solitude :D

torker
01-03-2009, 12:58 AM
MTNGUN...sounds like my kind of place...except I bet it's a little more windy than I like.
I don't get much wind here in the hills.
What state are you in anyway?

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Something in that says MTNGUN likes his solitude :D

I envy those who have less than 5 neighbors:)

torker
01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
I have one...I think :D ..bout a quarter mile away..

Ken_Shea
01-03-2009, 01:10 AM

Don't get me wrong, while I was taken back a bit by MTNGUN's seemingly desolate winter landscape, there is a lot to be liked about being left alone, kudos to you MTNGUN !

I don't think he has much worries to Californians being comfortable there, and I ain't talking temperature. :D

Ken

Ken_Shea
01-03-2009, 01:15 AM
I have one...I think :D ..bout a quarter mile away..

In the summer I cant see a house (but ours) in the fall / winter the absolute closest is about the same, I smile and wave and would help them out of the ditch but i do not get friendly with neighbors. This will not last long, there getting closer and closer :(

Tinkerer
01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
:eek: A bit more and you got a ramp and can jump it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/IMG_0056.jpg

With this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/IMG_0057.jpg

Just remember to tape for us...:D

J Tiers
01-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Ja, since I moved to the tropics I found out that you can do stuff in the summer.

Up in Minnesota it got to 30 or more below zero, AND 100 deg also (F). here we still get the 100, but only zero F. (that would be from -34C to +38C, or from -18C to 38C, for you others)

I used to love winter, summer was that boring time you can't ski...... I found out summer isn't so bad after all.

That is a lot of snow, though, unless that roof is pretty big..... the pile is from the whole roof, right? Gonna be wet around there when it melts.

BadDog
01-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Temps have plummeted here in Phoenix. Down to 50 tonight, burrrrrr...

But don't worry about us. We have food and should survive if the power holds out for heating. I just hope it doesn't stay this cold for long...

There IS a reason I live in Phoenix, and it's not the late Summer temps. ;)

kendall
01-03-2009, 03:13 AM
That pic looks like my back yard did a few days ago, before we hit 50 and melted everything!

Three sidewalks and my driveway hook togther in the same are, so removing the snow is a real pain. this winter I got the idea of taking the snow and piling it up against the shed, which is beside the garage, so with all the snow we had a pile that reached the roof. wasn't much of a stretch to smooth it out and lash the ladder to the garage to build a nice sledding ramp. Did have to build a few berms to direct the sleds, but the grandkids and I had a great time sledding off the roof.

Ken.

torker
01-03-2009, 09:04 AM
That is a lot of snow, though, unless that roof is pretty big..... the pile is from the whole roof, right? Gonna be wet around there when it melts.
Yup...the pile is from the one side of the roof. And it is a big roof.
But this all came in about a week....and it isn't going anywhere til at least March.
Got about twice as much as last year...already.
I'm going to have to move that big pile somehow come spring....it will melt and flood my septic tank.
I'm hopin the missus gets my backhoe fixed before that :D
I have to leave it for awhile tho...I have a whack of snow covering the septic field this yaer...hoping it won't freeze again.
That was a pain in the a$$...literally :D
Russ

topct
01-03-2009, 09:23 AM
We have over 60 inches total down here. Shattered the old record by more than a foot and its still coming down.

torker
01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Gene...one of the long haul truckers that stays at the motel we run was telling me about the snow down your way.
He said it was an absolute mess.
So...how doing with that global warming idea? Are you convinced yet :D
Russ

Rustybolt
01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
At 57 the cold is worse than the snow. It was -6 here in N.Illinois and even with gloves my hands hurt. I used to just brush the snow off my windshield with my un-gloved hand. Now if I do that it's like my joints are being stabbed by needles.
If I could find someplace with the same opportunities and better weather, I'd take it.

topct
01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Gene...one of the long haul truckers that stays at the motel we run was telling me about the snow down your way.
He said it was an absolute mess.
So...how doing with that global warming idea? Are you convinced yet :D
Russ

Semi-trucks can't enter the city limits without chains. There is only a couple of the big wreckers that can move them when they get stuck. Yesterday there were ten of them sideways on one short stretch of road.

So much snow brings on other possible problems. If we were to get one of those warm fronts that can blow through here and this amount starts to melt to fast it could really become a disaster.

Global warming? It's been so damn cold here for so long, I think a little of that be be alright. Just a little.

lazlo
01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Torker,
Just tell lazlo that you have never seen 112 F for a high and you will be thinking about him come summer :D

Yeah, no kidding! Two winters ago, Austin hit 99 the first week of January.

It's funny though, I used to ski alot when I lived in Maryland, and it was pretty normal for Killington, VT to be 20 - 30 below, and we'd never notice the difference. But fast-forward 10 years, and it hit 32 in Austin a couple weeks ago, and it was uncomfortable :rolleyes:

I used to go to the Intel site in Chandler (Phoenix) Arizona, and like BadDog says, during the summer it gets so hot that everyone shifts their schedule to the early morning, and you basically don't see anyone outside between Noon and 3.

I think you physically/mentally adapt to your surroundings...

mochinist
01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Bah 112 isnt that hot anyways, I was checking cotton in 94' when it hit 128 in Parker and Lake Havasu AZ:) , snuck off to the river that day to go cool off and even it was warm.

lazlo
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
It's going to be high of 79 tomorrow in Austin -- I'll be thinking about you Russ :D

Temperature gloat :) High today is 82 -- gonna finish the Polane on the lathe :D

Orrin
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
We live two hours south of Spokane and our ground is almost bare; two inches of rain fell out of the last weather system. In Spokane it came down white. A thousand feet, or so, in elevation makes all the difference.

The Spokane TV news is full of stories about collapsed roofs, many of which are retail stores.

Orrin

Your Old Dog
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Torker, the roof job is much easier with a 30 foot aluminum roof rake. Got mine at the hardware about $40.00. Not everyone knows about them though. Beats the hell out of walking around on a slippery roof. If you aren't familiar with them let me know and I'll fill you in.

Liger Zero
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
We're all technical-minded folks here... why can't we come up with some kind of high-power gas or alcohol fueled snow-melting device to help the OP? :D

torker
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
We're all technical-minded folks here... why can't we come up with some kind of high-power gas or alcohol fueled snow-melting device to help the OP? :D
Liger...LOL! I actually have my ol' 572 Rodeck blown alcohol engine sitting under that roof. Maybe just fire the sukker up and I'm sure it'd melt something.
Ray...This snow is so heavy it's all i can do to push a shovel full down the roof.
I've used those rakes before when I had my roof shoveling business in 1995.
They wouldn't take this heavy stuff I don't think. Those are a life saver for steep roofs or housetrailer roofs that you can't walk on.

Geez...my buddy from Kalispel Montana just called.
He can't make the funeral today.
They had 11" of snow yesterday..then 18" last night.
They aren't even letting poeple drive on the roads right now.

rbregn
01-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Well if it is going to be cold it just as well snow! I am ready for a Chinook to come through though;) I am getting tire of the double digit below zero though. You can tell some one from the cold country, we don't count wind chill. Wind chill is for Californians that moved here and haven't figured out you should cover up when it is cold. If you dress right, wind chill don't matter! My wife don't agree with me on this though:D must be a girl thing!

Liger Zero
01-03-2009, 02:49 PM
The "wind chill" numbers are meaningless. I just relate the weather as "cold, very cold, bad out there" which actually gives more information than some silly number IMHO.

DR
01-03-2009, 03:20 PM

One thing most of folks don't get is you have far more privacy living in the inner city than you do in the country.

From age 8 on I grew up in a rural area that was formerly dairy farming. 120 acres was about average size of the farms. Neighbors knew every move you made.

Since college I've been in the inner city, nearest neighbor's house is 20 feet away. Neighbors don't snoop into your doings at all like in the country.

mochinist
01-03-2009, 03:28 PM
One thing most of folks don't get is you have far more privacy living in the inner city than you do in the country.

From age 8 on I grew up in a rural area that was formerly dairy farming. 120 acres was about average size of the farms. Neighbors knew every move you made.

Since college I've been in the inner city, nearest neighbor's house is 20 feet away. Neighbors don't snoop into your doings at all like in the country.Absolutely, it is still fun to go home and hear all the gossip:D

Dawai
01-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Da rolling fabric load-unloader for truck beds in reverse??

I got a sewing machine if you want to build one.. You got the gearbox..

Higher pitch roofs?? so it all slides off? Avalanche roof style..

Willy
01-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Dr, I think you are confusing privacy with anonymity.
I can take a wizz anytime off of my back porch if I want...that's privacy.

But you are right in regards to local gossip. Lets face it when you are the only target on the horizon you are bound to be in someone's sites.

Lived in cities before, and out in the boonies, and I still believe the best neighbors are the ones that live ten miles away.:D

jkilroy
01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
David's idea about the fabric truck unloader is it but make it a continuous loop! Use the parts from swing out awnings from big campers. Put some worm drive reducers on them, put a motor on it and have it turn *real* slow 24hrs a day. Should keep the roof close to spotless.

Whatever you do DON'T let it stop lest it freeze in place! :D

quasi
01-03-2009, 05:42 PM
moving to Texas would kill most western Kanadians. Between the heat in summer and the "heat" in the food. Man Texans like spicy food. And the worst part is its hotter coming out than it was going in.!

lane
01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I went to day in a t shirt about 80+ degrees. Super nice Road the lawn mower to chop up the leaves . When it snows her every thing stops and we all stay home .

ogopogo
01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
HI fellow winter haters. This has been a winter for the books and its only getting started. I've lost count of the times i've plowed the lane to the town road. As Torker says its hard to get anyting else done. This week we had a windstorm which snapped power poles and cut off our electricity for 49 hours.
Hats off to the hydro crews.! Fortunately with our generator and wood stove we kept from freezing up-just.Then when the power was restored our electric forced air/heat pump reqired work!

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Since college I've been in the inner city, nearest neighbor's house is 20 feet away. Neighbors don't snoop into your doings at all like in the country.

Done both,living in the country meant my house was empty 9-10hrs a day and no neighbor with a line of sight,never got robbed,but many others out my way did.

Cities some are better than others,some a person can get lead posioning easy;) others a man can be dying in the steet and people just step over him and walk on.

My problem is I'm from the country and my neighbors are from the city.First thing they want are street lights,stop signs and sidewalks along with all the BS that goes with it:(

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Russ,what you need are some old water bed mattresses.Lay them up on the roof,when the snow piles up infalte them with an air hose.Presto,giant aircraft style de-icing boot:D