PDA

View Full Version : Miniture machinist's clamp

RustyWrench
01-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Hail and good day

Do any of you folks have any designs for miniture machninst's clamps or any other small clamping devices? I have an occasional need for them and have sold a few over the years. The smallest I have build are about the size of a postage stamp. Used .125 key stock and 2/56 threaded rod. I would appreciate any and are willing to share.

Thanks

Russ

------------------
Russ

SGW
01-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Guy Lautard has dimensions for a range of clamps in one of his "Bedside Reader" series.

Georgeo
01-21-2002, 04:41 PM
The article is in Bedside Reader #1, pgs 149-153. He has sizes from 1 1/2" to 5"; you could scale from those to your little guys, I think.
George

Thrud
01-22-2002, 03:40 AM
Guy's "stroka' genius file rack book also has a spring loaded c-clamp that is cool. Lee Valley Tools sells minature brass clamps as well.

crypto
01-22-2002, 05:55 AM
A common problem that arises when using parallel clamps (I assume that's the kind under discussion) for driling is that after one has clamped the work to one's satisfaction it is discovered that the clamp is in place right where you want to put the hole. Try this: grind or mill a slot (1//4" long?) down the center of the clamps that will give you a two-tined fork shape. Now you can drill thru the clamp. Clamp holds just as well as solid style.

kap pullen
01-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Check put the Harvard Physics Department machine shop projects.
Included is such a clamp.

http://www.machinist.org/harvard_corteau/

See ya

kap pullen

RustyWrench
01-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Thanks, I have the #1 Machinists Bedside Reader. That section is really good as I make most of my own small tools. I was looking for an unusual design to try out. Russ
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
Guy Lautard has dimensions for a range of clamps in one of his "Bedside Reader" series.</font>

RustyWrench
01-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks, I have the book, that is good info. I am looking for an unusual design to try out.

Russ
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Georgeo:
The article is in Bedside Reader #1, pgs 149-153. He has sizes from 1 1/2" to 5"; you could scale from those to your little guys, I think.
George </font>