PDA

View Full Version : Totally O.T.--Outlook Express

brian Rupnow
01-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Sorry for such a non mechanical post, but HELP!!! I have 1206 messages in my "inbox" in Outlook Express and for some reason I can not delete the damn things. I highlight them all (or individual messages), then hit the delete key---or hit the red X (for delete) up at the top of my screen----or right click on the highlighted messages and select "delete" from the drop down menu---and nothing happens. Can anybody shed some light on this???---Brian

aboard_epsilon
01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Possibley key on your keyboard giving trouble ......I've had this sort of problem when somethings been on top of the keyboard ..or its been laying up against something........or could also happen with one of the keys stuck .

maintanace ...........turn computer off ..........

turn keypad upside down ...and spank the keys........any crap will drop out and restore opperation .

all the best.markj

dockrat
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Mark I dont think its his keyboard cuz he would be hitting the red X with his mouse and also in the dropdown delete menu and those arn't working either. Other then that I'm no help :(

dp
01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Sorry for such a non mechanical post, but HELP!!! I have 1206 messages in my "inbox" in Outlook Express and for some reason I can not delete the damn things.

Are you using imap or pop or ??

brian Rupnow
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Whatever was wrong, by highlighting all the messages, holding down the shift key and hitting delete I was able to get rid of them all. Thanks for rhe suggestions fellows.---Brian

Peter.
01-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Shift-delete is usually for bypassing the recycle bin. Deleted emails don't go to the recycle bin but perhaps your deleted items folder has hit a size limit, or perhaps it's database is corrupt and using shift bypassed that. Try deleting everything in the deleted items folder and see what happens.

IdahoJim
01-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Try highlighting them and "dragging" them to the deleted items folder.
Jim

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Switch over to Google's gmail,it's free and Google doesn't send spam to it's own system.

Your Old Dog
01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Somewhere in the set up you have likely specifed how much space to give the trashbin. If you get to that size all should stop until you empty the trashbin.

Now, I need to start a thread on why so damn much of my spam is from gmail clients?

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Somewhere in the set up you have likely specifed how much space to give the trashbin. If you get to that size all should stop until you empty the trashbin.

Now, I need to start a thread on why so damn much of my spam is from gmail clients?

Because gmail is free:)

J Tiers
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM

I don't think the emails go into the recycle bin.

They go into outlook express' deleted folder. When you delete them from there, they go "away". Permanently.

Since I see I have 7500 emails in mine, 1206 messages shouldn't bother it at all. I need to empty the deleted message file, obviously. Dang yahoo groups really fill it up... 53 messages today....

Astro
01-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Try deleting a few messages from your "Deleted" folder in OE. Then see if you can delete from your Inbox. Good luck.
Robert

oldtiffie
01-04-2009, 01:34 AM
I use Express Assist to back up and when/if required restore OE either entirely or by folder, or file etc.

It has "saved" me and OE on several occasions when OE malfunctions.

http://ajsystems.com/expressassist/ea.html

PHiers
01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Go to tools, options, click on the "other" tab, check the box to empty the deleted items folder on exit. I have mine set that way so I don't have to remember to do it! :D

JohnDempsey
10-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think the emails go into the recycle bin.

They go into outlook express' deleted folder. When you delete them from there, they go "away". Permanently.

Since I see I have 7500 emails in mine, 1206 messages shouldn't bother it at all. I need to empty the deleted message file, obviously. Dang yahoo groups really fill it up... 53 messages today....
For recovery dbx files is ideal for outlook dbx repair (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/repair_outlook_express.html). It provides restoring corrupted and accidentally deleted outlook express items after various troubles. Program works under low system requirements, any system configuration of computer.

lakeside53
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
And...nearly 3 years later...;)

Mcostello
10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Am having the same trouble with Firefox browser and Msn. Messages delete, then next time I go back they are still there. Seems to have a two week cycle then they stay emptied. Deleting, or to junk folder it's all the same bad results. Glad it's their server space it's using!

Paul Alciatore
10-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Switch over to Google's gmail,it's free and Google doesn't send spam to it's own system.

Yea, and they will store every word you send and receive FOREVER in their database and use it as a basis for others to send SPAM to you when they sell your address as part of a list of people interested in xxxxx. As for me, I would prefer to pay for my e-mail service and get at least a bit more privacy.

mlucek
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
One well-known problem with Outlook Express is the hard file size limit of 2G on your message storage files (*.dbx). If any of those files approach or try to exceed 2Gbytes in size, wierd things start to happen with that given message folder, e.g.

Inbox.dbx

Can be corrupted and you'll start losing emails. Google around the net and you see lots of info regarding the 2G *dbx file size limitation.

I've gotten bit a few times with that since I tend to keep all my old emails (why ? not sure anymore :p)

Mike