PDA

View Full Version : Stop one project to start another

HSS
01-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, I'm nearly thru with the grinder project and the weather outside was so nice today I decided to add a front ladder lock to my ladder rack on my work van. When the wind gets up it will unload my ladder. I have been strapping it down to keep it from lifting but that has been a pain in the a$$. My young bride brought me some SS and I fashioned this lock.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/P1010037Small.jpg
This is what happens when I get a cross wind.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/P1010035Small.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/P1010034Small.jpg
I'll bet the ladders stay in place now.;)

tony ennis
01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
The next picture will show the ladders securely attached to the top of the van - but the top will have been torn off and is hanging off the side.

Mcgyver
01-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Stop one project to start another

story of my life. looks like a good solution you have there

HSS
01-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys....I new ya'll would understand. My young bride says "you need to finish your other project before you start on another". I knew youse guys would unnerstand. LOL:p

dp
01-03-2009, 09:43 PM
This Harley rider thanks you profusely!

J Tiers
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys....I new ya'll would understand. My young bride says "you need to finish your other project before you start on another". I knew youse guys would unnerstand. LOL:p

I've been married almost 25 years..... My wife says the same thing. And it's still true.

I have one project that was the actual and original cause of my getting into shop work..... Would you believe it NEVER GOT DONE?

Doozer
01-04-2009, 12:15 AM
So in Arkansas that is how they put ladders on a van !?!
It is all so clear to me now.
I guess I have seen fire trucks do it that way, but it just looks a but odd.
:)
--Doozer

MickeyD
01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
So, how do you open the doors on the passenger side?

barts
01-04-2009, 12:58 AM
I've been married almost 25 years..... My wife says the same thing.

We've been married 25 years, and my wife and I have so many projects going between my machining, steamboating, computers, Burning Man, etc and her
spinning, weaving, dying, tile making, etc, that we're always busy. And don't forget the Internet for both of us...

-= Bart

HSS
01-04-2009, 07:04 AM
So, how do you open the doors on the passenger side?
Heh, heh, when the wind blows the ladders down, you don't open the passenger doors till you get the damn things pushed back up on the roof. You actually have to push the frame where the new lock is to get it loaded back up cause it twists and warps the handle mechanism. After you get them back up you have to straighten out the handle and handle lock, a real pain in the butt. In the five years I've had the van it has happened 4 times. Now, maybe , that will be a thing of the past.

Doozer, we have 3 vans and a pickup and this is the only ladder rack of this configuration. But even so, it comes from up NORTH somewhere. We normally just tie the ladder to the roof of the van with ropes thru the windows and pad the roof with quilts so we don't scratch up the ladder, but that fast talkin car salesman talked me into this dang thang.:D

Ya'll be careful now, ya hear.

Pat

MickeyD, I understand your question now after I went back and looked at my pics. The ladders swing down off of the roof for use and then swing back up. My closeups are with the ladders up on the roof. Sorry about the confusion.

Boucher
01-04-2009, 07:34 AM
We actually took our Martin Houses down this year and cleaned them out. The wife reminded me last night that the Scouts show up Feburary 1, and that the new hinged bottom modification needs to be completed and the houses put back up. As slow as I have become, she decided it was time to rearrange the to do list.