PDA

View Full Version : OT - check out the Ariel Atom - WOW

Mcgyver
01-03-2009, 10:25 PM
if you haven't seen this, its worth checking out. A street legal car sporting 600hp/1000kilo's and in trials ranking only behind the Ferrari Enzo in performance........with an 20,000 pound price tag!!!! (windshield not included)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

http://www.arielatom.com/

ok guys, get working on the chrome moly tube benders :D

lazlo
01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow, that's pretty. Looks like a four-wheel Ducati.

Your Old Dog
01-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Top Gear is one of my favorite shows. First show I caught they were doing someting with an RV and it eventually caught fire. It was nothing short of brilliant and extremely funny !! I just looked for it on you tube but no luck.

wierdscience
01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Steering wheel is on the wrong side:p :D

Only thing I see wrong is no windscreen,bugs taste bad.

And it's a two seater.

Peter.
01-04-2009, 05:51 AM
The Ariel Atom holds the UK 0-60 accelleration record. They are a fantastic car.

Y.O.D - Top Gear is a cult TV Program. Like him or not Clarkson makes for great TV.

Did you mean the Toyota Hilux feature? They ran it over several episodes where they tried sveral method to kill it including leaving it in the sea, setting on fire and perching it on a building whilst it was blasted down.

Start with this one and follow the episodes:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9mfeeSPwc

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk&feature=related

oddball racing
01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Google "KTM X-Bow" for the Austrian's version. Like the comment of "4 wheeled Ducati" only instead think "4 wheeled KTM Superduke"

Rustybolt
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
My favorite was the one where they "tested' a toyota SR5 pickup- estate wagon for those in the UK. Best part. leaving the pickup on the beach overnight so that it was completely covered by the tide, and coming back in the morning and starting it. Second best. Boats from cars.

Your Old Dog
01-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Peter, that was a good one. Sent it to my friend who owns a Toy.

They did special on renting an RV and taking it somewhere and documented the trip. It was a real hoot to watch. That's the first I ever saw of Top Gear.

lazlo
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
The Ariel Atom holds the UK 0-60 accelleration record. They are a fantastic car.

Peter, are you sure about that? When I watched the video, they had all sorts of disclaimers on the performance quotes.
It's using a supercharged Honda Civic engine, and they quoted the HP per ton compared to a Ferrari, but it's still a lot less HP per ton than a racing bike.

I thought it was amusing, and a little deceptive, that they ran the "road race" against a 600cc bike (the CBR 600). For a fair comparison, they should have raced against a 1000CC bike like the CBR1000, but that would have blown the Atom's doors off :)

By the way, was it just me, or was it disturbing watching that guy's jowls flapping around in the wind? :)

A.K. Boomer
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Those cars (the atom and the KTM) would definitely take the excitement level up a few notches, The CBR 600 is what I used to have but mine was the F1 (1990) and was no where near as fast as the newer models --- that car would be allot of fun and i would much rather slide it through the turns then to try to hang with it on a bike - although I used to use almost all of my rear tire convex Iv never been cutting edge in the turns on a bike, too scary for me...

The fact thats its even close is impressive... but yes the deck was stacked and they dont even need a bigger cube bike to get the job done -- all they need is a different track.

A.K. Boomer
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
By the way, was it just me, or was it disturbing watching that guy's jowls flapping around in the wind? :)

I hated that feeling, I always hid behind my little bullet shield at speed, -- but when it comes to fine tuning your skills without a windshield its time to put a helmet on...

mark61
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I have at times day dreamed about using a dirt sprint car chassis to make a road legal hot rod.....never saw it done yet but I imagine someone some where has built one. Go to the right areas around dirt tracks and it seems like everyone has an out dated frame sitting round out back....

mark61

Circlip
01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
One of Top Gears all time classics has got to be the drive to Motor City with the cars displaying "Slogans" painted on the sides, oh how we larfed.

Regards Ian

It's only a CAR.

noah katz
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
"they dont even need a bigger cube bike to get the job done -- all they need is a different track."

That would have to be a straighter track.

Cars have the decided advantage in the corners, demonstrated in previous car-bike faceoffs, from hugely more tire contact area and I think lower CG even w/the bike heeled over.

Peter.
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Peter, are you sure about that? When I watched the video, they had all sorts of disclaimers on the performance quotes.
It's using a supercharged Honda Civic engine, and they quoted the HP per ton compared to a Ferrari, but it's still a lot less HP per ton than a racing bike.

I thought it was amusing, and a little deceptive, that they ran the "road race" against a 600cc bike (the CBR 600). For a fair comparison, they should have raced against a 1000CC bike like the CBR1000, but that would have blown the Atom's doors off :)

It was on TV last year - a Guinness record as I recall. I should have qualified it by saying 0-60 in a car. The atom couldn't hold a candle to my own bike for accelleration which I guess would be about 1600hp/tonne.