PDA

View Full Version : Junk man didn't want it after the price went down

HSS
01-03-2009, 10:54 PM
The junk man was supposed to remove this Niles Bement Pond Planer for nearly nothing and when the price of scrap tanked he backed out. My young bride is going to contact Simmons Machine Tool, the current owner of NBP to see if maybe they have a museum and would like to have it back. It was Mfg. some where in the mid to late 1800's. I hope this link to the album works.http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/Niles%20Bement%20Pond%20Planer/?start=all
The ways reach from the south wall to the radial drill press and was scraping the wall to get by the drill press. They took the motor off yesterday and spent today disassembling the rest of the machine.

SVS
01-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Holy smokes-That's a big mutha!

I'd like to have it in the SVS museum, but all the other exhibits would have to move outside.

Curious about overall dimensions, capacities, etc.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Scott

HSS
01-04-2009, 07:28 AM
I'll have my young bride get me the dimensions monday when she goes back to work. She told me the height and width cap yesterday but she couldn't remember the length and now I don't remember what she told me. She is still in bed and I ain't about to wake her, no sir, not me. :D

mark61
01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
We got one of those at work with an 8' x 40' table. Have not used itin about 5 years.

That table cut into smaller sections makes excellent work/ welding benches!

Only 1 hard hat for 4 guys?!?!

mark61

Dawai
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
My second on the welding-platten table-bench..

OMG.. to fabricate a bike frame or car chassis and start out level without shimming..

That is.. if I could see to weld anymore.. left to younger eyes these days.

HSS
01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Only 1 hard hat for 4 guys?!?!

mark61
I don't know why he's wearing that hardhat, they don't require them in the shops. I guess he had been outside and just left it on. Either that or they share, they are a pretty tight group. LOL:D

Robin R
01-05-2009, 01:10 AM
I posted this thread over on the antique machinery forum at PM and there might be some interest in saving this planer. Is there any chance of posting some contact info for this machine, so interested parties could pursue it further. That might be easier for the owner, than trying to dispose of it by scrapping it.
Here is a link to the thread on PM, as there is some info on NBP planers. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=171873

BillH
01-05-2009, 01:14 AM
I view that Planer in the same was I do a steam locomotive, It deserves to be preserved.

scatter cat
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Dang thats a big one. Any chance of looking at it in person? I am in central Ar. also.

HSS
01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok SVS, got some numbers for you. It was manufactured for Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philladelphia in October 1922. In 1956 it was purchased by International Paper in Mobile Ala for the new mill being built in Arkansas. The mill in Arkansas began making paper in June 1958 and the machine has been in that location until it was removed on January 3, 2009. The planer is 60" X 60" X 22'. The bed weighs 29,200# and is 39' 7.5" long. The table weighs 26,100#. They don't know what the uprights weigh. The motor is 440V. DC and I'm not sure about the HP. I just talked to one of the guys in the pictures and he is going outside now to see if there is a data plate on the motor. My wife has cleaned up the planer brass nameplate and she says it cleaned up real good and that she would get me a picture of it.
Sure would be a shame to melt it down, but it's too darn big for my shop and I wouldn't have a use for it anyway. I don't think I could afford to put steel thru it either. :D

Here is the plaque off of the machine.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/Niles%20Bement%20Pond%20Planer/DSC00268Small.jpg

scatter cat
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Is it in Pine Bluff?

wierdscience
01-05-2009, 09:46 PM
HSS,thanks for the pics.

Those old brass nameplates I save,polish up and hang on the wall.Kinda like a tombstone for the machines that didn't make it.Also cast iron doors with company names cast in.

HSS
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Is it in Pine Bluff?
Yes it is.....