PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever

Randolph
01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I was wondering if many are going to attend Cabin Fever this year. I am planning to be there.

Randolph
01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Looks like I will be there by myself.

laddy
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey,
I am hoping to be there if the weather cooperates. Can't wait! Fred

hssmike
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I think we are going early this year so we can catch some of the auction. By the time we got the booth set up the auction was almost over.
I'm bringing 14 new High Speed Steel tool holder kits this year, so I'm kind of anxious as to how they are going to sell. Hope to see you there.

Mike Warner

TECHSHOP
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Plan on going again this year.

If you are planing to travel on the PA Turnpike the toll were raised this year (2009).

Teenage_Machinist
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
GAH! wish it was not so far away!

japcas
01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm planning on being there. I can't wait either. Hopefully it will be another good show. I hope everyone going has a safe trip going to the show and back home too.

oddball racing
01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Where and when? ............For those not in the know:)
Thanks, Mike

japcas
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
York, PA. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/

Errol Groff
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I will be there, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise! Staying at the Red Roof Inn on Route 30. Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new folks.

Find me at the New England Model Engineering digs.

Number one task tomorrow morning is putting in for a personal day on Friday the 16th as a travel day.

johnnyd
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm driving my Mexican Motorhome (box truck) up from Florida. Leaving on the 14th so I don't have to rush.
If anyone wants something hauled back, let me know.

littlelocos
01-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Joy and I will be there with our 3-cyl radial and 1-cyl flathead model airplane engines. This year I hope to have the single mounted in a Great Planes "Slow-Poke" model airplane and have it on display as well. The plane is currently under construction with the tail feathers and wing center section complete so far.

As usual, we will have plans sets and wall charts for sale.

See you there,
Todd

BillH
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd like to go but I go back to work on the 8th, 6 days a week! Well I can't complain, it is just flying airplanes...

TGTool
01-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I wish I could be there but too much stuff interfering this year (again). Hope to have Tallgrass Tools there again when I can. Otherwise it's probably the NAMES show.

andy_b
01-04-2009, 11:56 PM
i'm hoping to go. i don't think i made it out last year (heck, i can barely remember last week :) ). a friend of mine from the York area has never been there and he was ill but has been feeling better, so i invited him along. i'm just planning on going saturday.

andy b.

Randolph
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Just bumping this up one last time in case somebody else wants to see it and was busy over the weekend. I'm hoping for good weather --- there was some snow last year.

George Bulliss
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Village Press will be there again this year, in the form of Neil, Craig, and me. I am looking forward to the Friday night auction, which we missed last year.

See you in York.

George

andypullen
01-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I'll be there as usual with John Hudak. Hopefully, a couple of Midshipmen will be tagging along, too.

Andy Pullen

rmack898
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I am looking forward to the Friday night auction, which we missed last year.

I was planning on getting there Friday for the auction but was under the impression that the auciton was during the day. What time is the auction and does anyone know if the first part of Sobel's inventory will be part of the auction?

JBL37
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Auction Zip state: auction will start at 10:00am on Friday. Jim

George Bulliss
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I was planning on getting there Friday for the auction but was under the impression that the auciton was during the day.

My mistake, it is at 10:00 AM.

George

BillB
01-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm planning to be there again, coming up on Friday.

"... does anyone know if the first part of Sobel's inventory will be part of the auction?"

Have I missed something? Are the Sobles's hanging it up?

BillB

JCHannum
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Dave Sobel has retired, and a large portion of his inventory has been acquired by the Schoenly's and will be auctioned off starting at Cabin Fever.

The whole lot was on eBay a while back, it looked like it had been cherry picked by the photos. It will be interesting to see what does turn up.

johnny o
01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Hello All
I'LL be out and about with my Holt engine and cannons , maybe that Shoot the Moon game everyone seems to love playing too.
P.S. NO KIDS

jkilroy
01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Not going to make that show but really trying for the Toledo show in April.

mbensema
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I will be there with my 4 year old, hopefully he lasts long enough to see much of it. Looks like the weather will be good over the weekend.

BillH
01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Damn it Errol, I wish I knew about that model engineering club when I lived in CT...

RichTes
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Thought I was going Friday until I found I was taking a sick toddler to the pediatrician.

That usually means things I would have been interested in will sell cheap.

Rich

andy_b
01-18-2009, 12:12 AM
well i made it out today (saturday). i almost didn't, as i had to have the fuel filter changed on my car and there was NO WAY i was going to be crawling around doing that mess outside when it was 5 degrees out. thank goodness the dealer had time to do it friday night.

the show was great, as always! i picked up some cool tools, watched a bunch of demos, sat in on most of the scraping class, chatted with Jerry Howell and bought some plans from him. then i headed over for my annual visit with Cecil, which is always enjoyable. and found PolskiFran with his display.

i have to say, there were TONS of CNC stuff there this year. i think the HSM world is definitely heading that way, at least for the smaller machines. the guys from Putnam Engineering were there with their AutoTurn lathe controller. that thing is sweet. it is not a full CNC system, more like a CNC threading and tapering kit to bolt onto any existing lathe. if you wanted to make 100 candlesticks, this wouldn't be my first choice. if you needed to make a 3 degree tapered shaft with 18.5 TPI threading on the taper and 28 tpi on the non-tapered section and wanted to do it all in one shot, this would work. and all you need to know is how to punch in some numbers like on a calculator. it was pretty cool.

there were a LOT of items at the silent auction and consignment sales areas. some prices were a little high, but i didn't see too much that i thought was insane.

all in all a very enjoyable trip.

andy b.

TECHSHOP
01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I was only able to do a single day this year. Seems the show has reached about 50/50 between "sales" and "displays". The crowd did seem to be a little thin, but the sub-freezing temps and a "suprise" snow may have kept a few closer to the home fires and others to depart early. I hope that the "sales" side did well enough this year to return next year. I good portion of my yearly "tool and material" budget has gone missing at Cabin Fever for the last 13 years.

The Putnam Engineering thing was something I found to be interesting, I'm thinking to put it onto the my shopping list of next year.

The live auction, silent auction and consignment sales prices have tended to favor the seller, but that is the local market conditions. There is alot of quality stuff locally and Cabin Fever draws bidders from afar who are not willing to go home empty handed.

TECHSHOP
01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I haven't done that in a while.

Dale Gardner
01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
This was my first trip, and as a new guy, it was simply amazing.

Here are the pictures from my Flickr site: http://flickr.com/photos/30812310@N0...7612638883057/ and here is a short video I put on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93p_pGKstV4

SGW
01-18-2009, 06:04 PM
It was pretty mind-boggling. I heard it was record attendance. Somehow I managed to resist buying anything too heavy to carry.

Rich Carlstead's model of the Monitor engine was well worth the price of admission all by itself. It is just incredible.

Dale Gardner
01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Then you'll love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk Pro quality video of the engine in motion.

High-quality pics here: http://www.stationarysteam.com/monitor.html

dneufell
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
SGW...so you left it up to me to lug around Cat 50 Speeder by BIG!!! I found that deal at 10:30. Had to lug it around for a few hours until my ride came back to pick it up for me. ...Weird seeing that large tool at a micro event. .Great show!....This year i figured i would get to spend alittle time taking videos (girlfriend bought me a video camera for my b day!) The place was packed. It took awhile to get back to N.H. because of the snow storm.....Dean

RichTes
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I enjoyed the show but was unhappy with a couple of the vendors. If it's Saturday afternoon at 3:00, I don't really want to hear "I only brought three of those and sold them."

One of the reasons for going to a show like this is to see things before you buy them and not have to pay shipping.

Rich

andy_b
01-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I enjoyed the show but was unhappy with a couple of the vendors. If it's Saturday afternoon at 3:00, I don't really want to hear "I only brought three of those and sold them."

One of the reasons for going to a show like this is to see things before you buy them and not have to pay shipping.

Rich

i hear you on that! of course, i did find most of what i was looking for by bouncing between all of the vendors. :) also, most of the vendors were giving out free shipping coupons if you wanted something but they didn't have it there. if it was me, i'd call the vendor up this week and tell them you were at the show but they ran out of what you wanted. tell them you'll buy it if they offer free shipping.

andy b.