PDA

View Full Version : Spray Paint Cans?

Boucher
01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
How should these be stored? Does the orientation matter? Standing, up laying down, upside down? My shop is temp controlled but the old barn and storage containers are not. The wife stores house type paints in the pump house where it is above freezing but that is less desirable due to access. How do you shake the cans when you need to use them? Been cleaning the shop. It is surprising how many were just sitting around and stored in project boxes.

Fasttrack
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I always store them right side up anywhere thats handy. I'm fairly certain at least one or two cans have been subjected to below freezing weather, but as long as they warm up before use, I've not noticed any major issues. 'Course I'm not painting show cars or anything.

Shaking: I just shake the piss out of them anyway I feel like :D I noticed some of the duplicolor cans specify that you should roll the ball around the bottom of the can - i.e. hold the top of the can and "swirl" the bottom.

lunkenheimer
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
The storage temp for solvent based paints shouldn't matter (unless you live in Antarctica maybe), but you will likely need to bring them to room temperature before use (along with the painted item and the environment where the paint is applied and cured). Latex paints should not be exposed to freezing temperatures, though.

I don't think nozzle down is a good idea, but the main problem I've seen is from paint dried in the nozzle which is independent of the storage orientation. Also, if you lose the caps, watch out for bump-spray when the nozzles get hit by other items.

torker
01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I've had a bunch of them cans sitting in an outdoor shed with no heat for about 3 years now...(got a LOT and no room).
I moved them up here to the new place...they are still outside but they work fine once I warm them up.

Your Old Dog
01-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Mine are out in frozen weather all the time with no ill effects that I am aware of. I bring them in the house and, stand them in the kitchen sink and it fill it with warm water till they become boyant and let set for about 45 minutes before using them. Otherwise the run out of pressure real quick.

kendall
01-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Supposed to hold them upside down and spray for a bit to clear the nozzle, it avoids clogging.

Temp does have an effect, I've noticed spray paint that's left out in the garage tends to have 'runs' down the side in spring that aren't there in fall, So I can only assume that the temp is low enough to freeze it and force the paint out.

Also, some paints get real clumpy if they're allowed to sit in the garage for a couple years (west central michigan)

Ken.

JerryL
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I store my cans up right and before I use them I bring them up to room temp or at least 70 deg. F , shake / them in every direction possible .

When I empty a can I save the spray tips and clean then out . There are several styles / types in use .

Also when I am done using a can and it is not empty I take the spray tip off and soak it in paint thinner ( if it's oil based ) (if latex / water based I soak in a soapy solution ) Before I re -use them I give them a blow out with a air compressor and also have some VERY SMALL drill bits or wire that I clear the hole with ( just make sure you don't enlarge the hole or change it's spray pattern )

I bought some cans that HARBOR FRIGHT had on sale that you can mix up whatever you want and then fill with an air compressor ( THAT IS REGULATED TO WHATEVER THE CAN SAYS IT CAN TAKE !! )

I also save those little long straws from some of the spray products .

Hope this helps a bit .... JerryL

aboard_epsilon
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
sometimes the propellant runs out before the paint ...

to overcome this and get the last drop out

crush the can ...the crushing will compress the free space inside ...and give you just enough pressure to use the rest up ..

a few years ago ...they started filling spray cans with acrylic paint ...ever since then its been crap ...accrilic seems to be porous ...and any small repair jobs done on your car, no matter how clean you get the metal will rust.

all the best.markj

Frank Ford
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm surprised at how long spray paint can last in the can. Here's my last can of Zambesi Purple, from a case I bought at a garage sale in 1974:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/QuickTricks/Paint/paint02.jpg

It still does the job.

It's now against the rules to toss even an empty spray can in the trash or recycling bin, so I made up this can cutter to solve the problem:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/ForFun/CanCutter/cancutter04.jpg

Fasttrack
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Yep - I actually use a center punch and hammer followed a vice to crush the cans. Then they go in the scrap bucket. The weight adds up pretty quick, actually.

oddball racing
01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Ford]I'm surprised at how long spray paint can last in the can. Here's my last can of Zambesi Purple, from a case I bought at a garage sale in 1974:

QUOTE]
I was hoping Zambesi Purple work rear it ugly head in this thread!:eek: Way to go Frank:D

Mike

oddball racing
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Ford]I'm surprised at how long spray paint can last in the can. Here's my last can of Zambesi Purple, from a case I bought at a garage sale in 1974:QUOTE]

I was hoping Zambesi Purple work rear it ugly head in this thread. :eek: Way to go, Frank! :D

Mike

Weston Bye
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
...It's now against the rules to toss even an empty spray can in the trash or recycling bin, so I made up this can cutter to solve the problem:...

A new one to me, never heard of that around here. Maybe I've not been paying attention.