View Full Version : tool identification and use

01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I purchase as much of my tooling as I can from auctions and Craigslist. Occasionally in lots, I'll get items that I don't know what they are or the application that they're used in.

I'd appreciate some help with these items. The 1st 2 pics are some reamers. They're tapered and have morse tapers. What application are they use in?



The next 3 pics are of some carbide tool bits. What are they used for? An example would be useful.





Lew Hartswick
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Those first two pix are what I think are called "Bridge reamers"
for making the holes line up in structial steel for a bolt.
The later are engraving bits.(I think)

01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
It one lips cutter. You can use it on a Deckel pantograph or on a milling. You can shape it on a TC grinder. We use it in moldmaking.

Have fun with your new tools.

01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Yep, the first 2 are bridge reamers. You can't exactly work to 0.001" in a 150' girder. So, they drill the holes a little undersize and from what I've seen, the reamer is slammed through the hole just as fast as it will go. Maybe with 2 guys handling the drill. None of this sissy back it out and clean the chips off stuff. They WORK those reamers. Time is money, and the state is waiting for you to get that bolt in!

My dad used to work at American Bridge Works in Elmira Heights NY (division of United States Steel). He's had his hands on a lot of bridges in the northeast. He was certified for bridge welding for at least 6 states at a time.