PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Onan ?

John Stevenson
01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Good news, bad news and even gooder news.

Good news our local scrappy has got fed up of sitting at home drinking tea he's come out of retirement and is setting up a new yard.
30,000 just for the concrete for the hard standing, 1/2 of a mill

for a new baling press and god only know what for a new grab

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/scrap1.jpg

Still early days not much in the yard unless you want 7 tonnes of photocopiers, Evan ?.

Now the bad news, found 7 of these.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/scrap2.jpg

Onan generators, three in the pic above.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/scrap3.jpg

Just the engines, no generators. For that likely ex War Department by the colour.

Now the good good, news.
I have permission to go round the yard at any time and take whatever I like as long as I tell him.
Got two lengths of thick walled steel tube for bearing rings today, 6' long each, best get him used to the idea :D

Circlip
01-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Just like it says on the back of the grabber John, Sod the recession when we can re-cycle. Any bombsite computers left?? No, the ones with all the gears in them?

Regards Ian.

Ian B
01-07-2009, 10:49 AM
John,

You're lucky he lets you in. I tried a few scrapyards in Hull a couple of years ago (where I used to happily root through the piles of junk 25 years ago), no entry. I had to tell them what I wanted (alloy bar), they sent one of the lads to bring me a sackful of it, and sold it to me that way at the gate.

Seems they're not insured for personal liability if a couple of tons of scrap lands on my head.

Luckily, Holland hasn't been bitten by the liability bug yet - scrappies still let me in and I can get whatever I want for the scrap price. Long live recycling.

Ian

lazlo
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
John, what's an Onan generator, and why would you want one? :)

Circlip
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Well the label says "Onan Electric Generator" made by"Onan MFG of Onan Corp" Minniapolis USA. Perhaps the surplus generator guys can tell you?? They're almost as prolific as HSM's.

Regards Ian

Dawai
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Consider this.. you can buy every lil piece for one.. you can keep them running forever.. they have a long output shaft..

Almost like a harley engine.. don't go out of style.. or need parts..

wierdscience
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
And many have tapered roller bearing cranks,and oil pumps and spares usually sell good one ebay as new spares are $$$$$$.Prolly a bunch of old GPU's,I want one,but I want the more modern and much more fun Turbo GPU:D

John Stevenson
01-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Just looked on my phone and this is about the best image.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/scrap4.jpg

Twin cylinder air cooled side valve, probably old as our War Department never throws anything out until they are totally obsolete.

scatter cat
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Its always great to be friends with the owner of a scrap yard. Its amazing what people and companies throw away.

Ken_Shea
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Now the good good, news.
I have permission to go round the yard at any time and take whatever I like as long as I tell him.
Got two lengths of thick walled steel tube for bearing rings today, 6' long each, best get him used to the idea :D

Round my parts that's called rude gloating, and if the tables were turned I would be doing it too ! :D

NICE !

J Tiers
01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
John, what's an Onan generator, and why would you want one? :)

It's a good motor, and a decent generator, that will just about run until the last cockroach croaks...... A friend of mine has a 3KW similar to that, made in 1955, still running, and he got replacement parts for a rebuild (which it didn't quite need, but he figured he better get the parts) about 1995. They did say then they were running out of some of the parts, and didn't figure to make more.

His was from a trailer refrigerator.

Onan HQ was about 3 miles from where I lived as a kid. Out University Ave near the big tower, IIRC.

JCHannum
01-07-2009, 09:53 PM
The little Lincoln two cylinder gas welder used an Onan engine. Did Onan make the welder-generator too?

I have a 3KW Onan generator that is for marine application. It is an inline water cooled two cylinder. By the manuals I got with it, Onan was a division of Studebaker Packard at that time.

wierdscience
01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
The little Lincoln two cylinder gas welder used an Onan engine. Did Onan make the welder-generator too?

No,that was a Lincon genset,at least the hard hat models were.

What I can't remember is if the Lincoln used the genset for the starter.Hobart made a similar version that used a two cylinder inline Wisconsin engine and back powered the genset as a starter motor.

I have a 3KW Onan generator that is for marine application. It is an inline water cooled two cylinder. By the manuals I got with it, Onan was a division of Studebaker Packard at that time.

Yup Studebaker-Packard,I have an inline four diesel genset that is Onan engine with Packard electronics everywhere which sadly are getting hard to find.

Onan was later bought out by Linimar group and then later was bought out by Cummins along with Wisconsin and Continental IIRC.

Lu47Dan
01-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Hobart made a similar version that used a two cylinder inline Wisconsin engine and back powered the genset as a starter motor
The Old Hobart welder I had , had a starter on the engine , started the welder fine . Sadly the welder quit welding but would make 120V all day . Until I pulled the engine off of it to build my logsplitter . Those Wisconsin engines are very HARD TO KILL .:D Dan

Tinkerer
01-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Consider yourself lucky if you have a yard that'll let you pick through or purchase from. All the ones around here are like black hole once something enters it's gone for good. No amount of pleading will get a good piece of useable scrap out. :mad:

And they have the nerve to call themselves recyclers. :rolleyes:

Astronowanabe
01-08-2009, 02:00 AM
GRRRRR around here the only scrapper (http://www.schnitzersteel.com/) had a corporate decision handed down to use the retail sale space for another pile so now I can't even go buy scrap without a half days drive :mad:

Your Old Dog
01-08-2009, 07:38 AM
We run Onans in our live trucks for tv news and they run at least 6 hours a day. In about 15 years we've changed out 1. All the others just got routine maintenance and occasional tuneups but nothing major. One of them had a Kohler and it gave us all kind of trouble, we switched that unit out too now that I think about it.

Circlip
01-08-2009, 07:49 AM
What's the chance of revitalising our export trade John?????

Regards Ian.

RollaJohn
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Those Wisconsin engines are very HARD TO KILL .:D Dan

Not really. To kill one just slow the engine speed to a near idle and let run for a while. It will soon overheat due to poor air circulation and self destruct. The engines are designed to run at the maximum governed rpms. DAMHIKT :o

madman
01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Whatever that means? i know i used to be welcome in the scrap yards NOW No One is alowed inside. Insurance reasons I was told. Kind of sucks I just got quoted 3 times normal ??price for a project im trying to do by the steel suppliers. I thought things would be getting a bit cheapper?

George Seal
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
John,
Next time you go take donuts to repay his kindness

Would you mind driving over to my house and droping off 4 of them Onans????