PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade welding/annealing

loose nut
01-07-2009, 10:32 AM
On the recent post about the HF bandsaw blade welders, it was stated that the blades have to be annealed after welding.

OK, that's a given, is there a annealing setting on these welders like the better quality ones or is this a separate operation done afterwards with a torch????

If so what is the proper procedure for annealing, how do you keep from over heating the area of the blade next to the part that was welded.

The Fixer
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
All the blade welders I've used do everything that needs to be done, grinding ends to welding to grinding welds to annealing.

al

ahidley
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
The HF unit has two buttons. One for welding-press and hold in until the weld is complete. Two is for annealing-press and it will send currant through the welded joint and heat it. You want to heat it enough to turn it just blue and slowly let it cool via bumping the button on and off. when a blade is welded it becomes hardened thus brittle. If you take some temper out it will be less brittle and not quite as hard.

Lets hear others: How hot/what color do you anneal it to?

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Turn the light off. When it is a dull red it is done. It is real easy to overdo it. Gary P. Hansen

loose nut
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Called HF up to see if they had any in stock. Nope, they don't stock them, it a special order item. Now I would have to drive an hour, pay for it and then drive back when it has arrived to pick it up. OK, no, wait for it, the main supply house in Cal. doesn't have any so they won't order it for me anyway.

See a lot of this anymore, stores don't stock items, they have a display model and "we can have it for you in a couple of weeks" and then they have the nerve to complain that they can't sell anything anymore.

ahidley
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Mine has the plastic guard for the blade grinder. But it did not come with a grinder. I called HF and wanted to order the motor but they wouldnt sell it. I ended up buying a little grinder with a flex shaft from HF. I threw out the flex and mounted the motor inside the blade welder box and it looks factory.. :) My blade welder DID have an unused switch for the blade grinder already installed.

The photos that I've seen of HF welders now do not have the plastic guard. I bought mine a little over a year ago.