PDA

View Full Version : What is this cross slide worth?

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 12:21 PM
About 30 years ago I helped clean out an old shop; my only pay was I got to save anything from the dumpster that I wanted. This cross slide table was one of the things I saved. Sandiapaul from the PM site told me that it came off an Arboga milling machine. I think Evan has a Arboga drill press. For the last 30 years it has been doing a good job of holding down the bottom of my bench top drill press. I had figured that someday I would come across a small mill but that has never happened and I never used this cross slide table. The table is 17 1/2"x 9 1/2" and has (One) nice dial and 7/8" dia Acme screws. I am thinking of selling locally on Crags List it to raise money to pay bills. (Thanks to Michigan wonderful economy! Our future President wants our Governor as Commerce Secretory so she can do for the rest of the country what she has done for Michigan.) Anyone have an Idea of what it is worth? I think the T slots are a non standard size and I cut some T nuts down to fit. The light green thing on the table is one of two stops that can be installed under the table. Gary P. Hansen

I guess I should add that it is missing one dial, if that was not clear from the above text.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/garyphansen/IM000106-1.jpg

David Powell
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I have a vaguely similar thing , though with a smaller rotatable top, simply with 2 tee slots at 90 degrees. Busy Bee sell a new chinese made xy for about 150$ regularly. I reckon mine ought to be worth 50 $ to someone. I once built quite a respectable little mill out of one of the xys with vice built in and a special purpose home made drill press to which I added extra bearings and a fancy collet syatem which held only 3/8" cutters and used npt pipe theads as the closer device. I will soon be laid off and have been looking to see if anything is disposable without impairing the shops ability. Regards David Powell.

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Mike your email box is full. I am guessing it weight around 75-100 pounds, I can weight it tonight.Gary P. Hansen

the doubleD
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Gary,
I am interested in the table, if shipping does not kill it. What does it weigh? My zip is 62254. And most importantly since I just got laid off, what did you come up with for a price. You can email me directly at ddyher@ezeeweb.com.
dd

DR
01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Generally, older stuff like this is far better quality than the Chinese junk you see for sale these days.

Unfortunately most guys can't tell the difference so you almost have to price it with respect to the Chinese junk for an equivalent sized item.

the doubleD
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Gary,
I am confused??:confused: Is there a post missing where Mike was interested in the cross slide?
I am still interested. I am sure my mail box is not anywhere near full. Been a lurker here. Just started posting, know you from PM.
dd (doug)

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Mike sent me a PM. I am not trying to sell it here; that is against the rules here. I am just asking what it is worth. Gary P. Hansen

dp
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Gary,
I am confused??:confused: Is there a post missing where Mike was interested in the cross slide?
I am still interested. I am sure my mail box is not anywhere near full. Been a lurker here. Just started posting, know you from PM.
dd (doug)

Mike probably sent a pm message to Gary. Mike's copy of his own message likely filled his space allocation on the BBS and Gary couldn't respond cuz Mike's box was now full. This happened to me once, in fact.

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
George Bulliss just Emailed me and said that in this case he would bend the rules and allow me to sell th1s cross slide table here. However, I would not want to cause him any problems and because of how much this weights shipping costs would be high. That is why I was thinking of selling it locally and just did not list it on Ebay. Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Tony Just emailed me and asked where I lived. I though it was in my profile. It was not but it is now. I live in Traverse City, Michigan. So if you are thinking about a road trip to snowy Traverse City and are interested in this cross slide let me know. Thanks, Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen
01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
"Generally, older stuff like this is far better quality than the Chinese junk you see for sale these days."

You can say that again. I have a small China made cross vice on my drill press I paid about $50. for. You can use it to position a part in the right place to drill a hole but it is really just a piece of junk!

I weighed the cross slide table and it is about 95 pounds. I shipped four tires on wheels from here to NJ last fall by UPS and it cost $200. So I would guess that the cost of shipping it any distance would be prohibitive. Is the weight limit by UPS 100 pounds, or is it less? Gary P. Hansen

Michael Hall
01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Gary

The last time I spoke with our UPS driver he said the weight limit was 150lbs.

Michael

Evan
01-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Generally, older stuff like this is far better quality than the Chinese junk you see for sale these days.

No question of that. I have one of the Busy Bee imports that sold for $100 on sale and it has been very little used. I put it on my Strands Drill press (same as Arboga) when I adapted the DP as a milling machine. It worked, after a fashion. The actual table is of decent quality but the lead screw nuts have about a half turn of slop, the dials look like they were stamped by a five year old using a screwdriver and a rock and it has no bearings for the shafts.

I am taking the table and after rehabilitation it will become the cross slide on my lathe project.

garyphansen
01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
"I am taking the table and after rehabilitation it will become the cross slide on my lathe project."

Evan: how are you going to "rehabilitate" it. What does it have for gibs? Gary P. Hansen

Evan
01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I will make a new leadscrews and nuts, new dials and new handles. It has steels gibs and regular set screw adjusters.