PDA

View Full Version : OT - SF Fleetweek/Blue Angels Photos

lynnl
01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know squat about photography, but I found these pictures too pretty to not share them. They're a year or so old but some of you may not have seen before.

Hope you enjoy.

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/

loose nut
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
If it looks like it's dangerous it is. There have been many Blue Angel crashes over the years. When I was 10 years old I saw this one,

From Wikipedia - September 2, 1966 - Lt. Cmdr. Dick Oliver crashed his Tiger and was killed at the Canadian International Air Show in Toronto.

The formation was doing a loop and pulled up when one aircraft didn't and went straight down and hit the end of a stone pier that was covered in spectators, the aircraft fireball down the pier, I don't remember if their where other casualties but there where a lot of people jumping off of it into the water.

These guys are not your average pilots. Very nice pictures.

JerryL
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I forget the year , mid 80's ? I'm not sure if it was the Angels or T-Birds . Anyway It was Monday after the weekend air show was over they where departing the city . ( Cleveland , Ohio Lake Front air port )
The pilot took off and about 300 ft up and out over the water and STONE BREAK WALL he flamed out , went inverted ( upside down ) just as he ejected and it blew him right down into the rocks . He didn't make it .

Crash invest showed he few into a flock of sea gulls .

Jerry Leskovec

dp
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Beautiful pictures of the tern and pelican. Spectacular pix of the jets!

lynnl
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, actually I liked some of the non-flying photos best.

I've seen the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds numerous times, and also the Canadian AF Snowbirds (I think that's the name they use). Still photography, or even motion video with sound, simply cannot do justice to the awe inspiring, in person experience.

Pictures just can't capture the full sense of power and precision and grace.

But I'll have to say, I've probably enjoyed some of the Confederate AF airshows, with the old WWII planes as much as any.

38_Cal
01-08-2009, 01:40 PM
The Reno Air Races, sitting in front of the big $ grandstands, with the crew of one of the planes...the friend I went to work for after gunsmithing school was the engine builder, and he insisted that my wife and I sit with the crew during the Gold race. The plane he worked on finished a bit back in the pack that year, but still, the experience was unforgettable.

David
Montezuma, IA

kf2qd
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Love any airshow pics. Saw the Blue Angels as a kid - low overcast - Erie PA. Planes would drop out of the soup and do their stuff and pull up and dissapear.

Still think the Snowbirds do a better show - Got to compare the Angels, Thunderbirds and Snowbirds at the Dayton Airfare back in 1980.

Also got to see Art Scholl, Bob Hoover (Shrike Commander and P51), the Vulcan Bomber, The F14 Tomcat (still the greatest plane ever built) and a B17 and Corsair from Baa Baa Blacksheep. Then Harold Johnson and the Wacos and a real cool demonstration by the Marines and a Harrier.

You Canucks and your Snowbirds are hard to beat.

Spin Doctor
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Is it just me, Fleetweek in San Francisco? Given today political environment there I would not think the military (US anyways) would be welcome. Every time the BA or TBs have been local I have missed them (I hate crowds). But one day while on the 16th tee of a local golf course the TBs broke out of the overcast on their way back towards Milwaukee during a show. Plus I remember A-4s from Glenview making practice runs over the local lakes during the summer

jkilroy
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Spin Doctor,

Remember that San Francisco, and the rest of the state of California, is mostly filled by right thinking, hard working, tax paying Americans, don't let the small, vocal, sometimes now violent, but growing I'll admit, percentage of whack jobs put you off. Its a great place to live, work, and visit.

There is some noise made about the noise, but in general the city, and the entire bay area, really turns out to welcome the guys and gals of the armed services. When I first moved out there they would still let them break the sound barrier AND fly under the bridge, (Not at the same time) but not anymore. The Angles fly around for several days before the event kinda like high speed advertising. Came over the top of my building once so low I could see the colors on the pilots helmet clearly, rattled my bones, got to love that. If you live in the Bay area you KNOW when the fleet is in.

abn
01-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Superb pics...I enjoyed them.

plastikosmd
01-10-2009, 10:40 AM
thank you for sharing..very cool pics

Spin Doctor
01-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Spin Doctor,

Remember that San Francisco, and the rest of the state of California, is mostly filled by right thinking, hard working, tax paying Americans, don't let the small, vocal, sometimes now violent, but growing I'll admit, percentage of whack jobs put you off. Its a great place to live, work, and visit.

I have to admit I really like "The City". I honeymooned there with my first wife although the last time I visited it seemed a lot shabbier than before. Maybe real estate prices are so high if you buy you can't afford to do any repairs. But it is IMO the prettiest urban setting in the US from what I have seen. But why is it that the nice areas always seem to attarct the nutjobs? :confused::confused::confused: