PDA

View Full Version : OT Schwinn Crank Disasembly

GKman
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Wife bought a new Schwinn Elliptical exercise machine that needs repair before it can be used. (JUNK). Three month warranty. "Bring it in or pay for house call." At least they are sending the part (7 to 10 working days).

Anyway, I need to disassemble what looks like a bicycle crank. Square, tapered (I assume) shaft with threads and a nut on the end holding the crank with square hole on. I forgot how to pop them apart.

cebump
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
The right way to do it is with a cotterless crank puller. it threads in to the arm and presses the arm off the spindle. if you can get your standard pullers arms to hold it will take it off. a puller should only cost you about $15.00 if you have to buy one. if you need more info let me know as this is what i do for a day job.
Brian

kendall
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
second that, most any real bicycle shop will have the correct tools at a reasonable price.
http://www.parktool.com/

Is the brand most shops carry around here, that website also has a few decent walk throughs.

Ken.

GKman
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks to cebump and kendall.

Looks like I have some 22 X 1.0 threads to turn this morning if I want a puller.

kendall
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Was going to say it would be easy enough to make one.

My problem with many I've used is that the inside threads of the puller often strip out, the crank threads have never given me trouble. Between the body and 'driver' they have a fine thread and the body of many of them are too short lengthwise so when you have the puller fully seated in the crank, you only have a few threads left engaged on the driver which strip out shortly afterwards.

Ken.