PDA

View Full Version : 2 1/8"-8 tpi spindle thread HUH?????

fullsizejohn
01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p85/jwwdsn/rockford%20lathe/

I go out my local used machinery guy today and get a sweet little 10" 4 jaw chuck and a backing plate (2 1/4"-8). I get home and pull my 3 jaw chuck off and attempt to thread my plate on. It slides on over the threads!! So i bust out the caliper and sure enough my spindle thread is 2 1/8". I looked all over for a faceplate with this thread but couldnt find a thing. Im just gonna order a blank and make what i need. Im thinkin someone over the years boogered the threads so they cut it down then just chased the threads now making it this odd size. Or was this the factory spindle thread? Take a look in the bucket and tell me what you think.

Rich Carlstedt
01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Sheldon Lathes were also 2 1/8 x 10
Has one years ago, but memory of it is small.
Rich

JCHannum
01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
There is no legislative body in charge of threaded lathe spindles. The 8 series thread spindles are probably the most common, but 6 & 10 are also not uncommon. I recently had a 2-1/4"-6 faceplate.

To add to the confusion, even if two different manufacturers should use the same thread diameter and count, the chucks might not necessarily interchange.

Al Messer
01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Ordering a blank and threading it to fit the spindle is the most accurate way to go. Before you start on it, though, make a threaded stub "gauge" the exact same size as your spindle nose so you can check the fit without having to dis-mount the job and try it on the spindle.

garyphansen
01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Last summer I had a local garage change the front wheel bearing of my Ford Areostar van. They ask me if I wanted the old one as required by law and looked at me funny when I said yes. It looked like I could see a back plate in it for my friends South Bend 10L lathe. I brought it to him and he put it in his heat treat furnace also known as a wood stove. He put it on a good bed of coals and put in some dry oak on top of it. Soon it was cherry red and he banked coals over it so it would cool slowly. That fully annealed the part and we make a new back plate for his chuck out of it. It is on his lathe right now! Gary P. Hansen

texas_po_boy
01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I think Sheldon Lathes were also 2 1/8 x 10
Has one years ago, but memory of it is small.
Rich

My Sheldon has a 1 3/4 X8 and it is kinda hard to find a backing plate.

ERBenoit
01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
...the front wheel bearing ... ...we make a new back plate for his chuck out of it. It is on his lathe right now! Gary P.
Hansen

Wheel bearings becoming chuck back plates??? :confused: Did you mean rotors??

winchman
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I think he means the hub that's part of the unit bearing assembly. It would be the bottom piece shown in this picture:
http://cens.com/cens/supplier/product/00002406/images/p005-l.jpg

I'd like to know how he got it apart, if that's what he's talking about.

Roger

ERBenoit
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I think he means the hub that's part of the unit bearing assembly. It would be the bottom piece shown in this picture:
http://cens.com/cens/supplier/product/00002406/images/p005-l.jpg

I'd like to know how he got it apart, if that's what he's talking about.

Roger

Pictured is not what I though GPH was referring to. Must be one of those "no user servicable parts" units. He said wheel bearing, thus I was thinking of the tapered roller type of wheel bearing. Thus I thought he meant to type "rotor". but typed wheel bearing instead. Maybe he didn't get it apart. Perhaps it was just carved away at. The part pictured and that looks like it could work as the start of a backplate.

garyphansen
01-08-2009, 08:20 PM
That is what it looked like when I started. Sorry, I do not remember having any problems getting it apart. I remember we annealed the bottom part shown in the photo and made the back plate out of it. Then we annealed the top part shown in the photo to use for something else so I must have gotten it apart with out any problems. I cut the O.D. and bored out the I.D. on my 1909 LeBlond and he threaded the I.D. on his South Bend 10L. The LeBlond can hog off a lot more metal a lot faster than the 10L. The housing was hard before we annealed it so I do not think I cut it apart. Gary P. Hansen

KiddZimaHater
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
This link might help:
http://www.lathe.com/spindles.html

fullsizejohn
01-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the input and the chart. Of interest, i see my rockford is not listed. This thing may be more oddball than i thought.

tarpon0
01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi: I've had two Sebastian lathes, both had 2-1/8-8 spindles. Hard to find accessories etc. Joe

garyphansen
01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Roger asked How I got them apart and I could not remember. That was because I did not. My friend knocked apart with a big punch (aka a hunk of scrap) and a sledge hammer. Gary P. Hansen