PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

spkrman15
01-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Is the new version of the drill doctor better then the old one? Anyone have both?

There is a Sale at KBC for the new model, at a great price. I have the older version, and it can be hit and miss sometimes....usually when you are in a rush.

I wanted to know if it was worth upgrading.

Rob :)

Ed P
01-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Is the new version of the drill doctor better then the old one? Anyone have both?

There is a Sale at KBC for the new model, at a great price. I have the older version, and it can be hit and miss sometimes....usually when you are in a rush.

I had a very early one and loved it. Unfortunately through no fault of its
own it took a trip down on to the garage floor and the company was never
able to supply me with a replacement part that fit correctly. I bought a new
one but ended up giving it away to my nephew. I would not recommend it.

Ed P

Corm
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I bought a new 3/4" model in Oct. I had never used one before, so don't have any experience with the older models. I am real happy with this new one. I've sharpened most all of my drills with it. Works great, and is easy to use. I've sharpened my drills by hand using a bench grinder for years, and thought I was pretty good at it. This DD does a much better job, real easy to tell when you use a drill sharpened with it.

David Powell
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I got a 350 as a Christmas present. It certainly sharpens the drills well, but almost all I have sharpened with it give me holes 2 t0 5 thous bigger than the nominal size, whereas new drills generally give me holes 1 to 3 thous over nominal. I watched the DVD several times and spent some time getting used to the idea of making sure I gave each drill an equal sharpening on each edge by counting as I sharpened. It is not quite as good as when I sharpen by hand, IF I am having a good day, but nowadays the arthritis makes those days few and far between so, so long as I remember the drills will cut a bit large then I won't have any problems. regards David Powell.

hawgwrench
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM

I have one had for maybe 8 years....works great on 1/4 to around 1/2 stuff.....questionable results on larger stuff,and slow on bigger sizes....still,its worth the money ....

spkrman15
01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey Thanks Guys,

I have the older model. I think the chucks give me some problems and my bits don't come out well. I do agree that from 1/4 up it seems to work well and if you learn how to look you can tell if it sharpened properly.

AS for the 0.003 to 0.005 runout, i don't usually do work that requires that precision. Well at least not yet! hehe

saltmine
01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey Thanks Guys,

I have the older model. I think the chucks give me some problems and my bits don't come out well. I do agree that from 1/4 up it seems to work well and if you learn how to look you can tell if it sharpened properly.

AS for the 0.003 to 0.005 runout, i don't usually do work that requires that precision. Well at least not yet! hehe

I bought mine, (the "full house, professional model") about 10 or 12 years ago, when I was still a mechanic....and used the daylights out of it.

I still have it, but I think the diamond sharpening wheel is getting worn out.

Yeah, the old one is a very good product....much better than the manual, "MK-1 eyeball" by hand, in the grinder method I used before I purchased it. It sure beats shelling out a handful of cash every time you need a drillbit that actually drills holes...Of course, now that I'm retired, I take the time and drill all of my holes undersized, and ream them to the finished size.

Bruce Griffing
01-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I posted some comparisons between the old and new in this
thread..

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31347&page=4

Some stuff worth reading in the thread.

BobC
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Not to hijack the original thread but I notice the 750 model is about $25-30 more expensive than the 500 model. Are the two models quite similar except perhaps for the size capacity of bits to be sharpened?

Thanks,
Bob

Bruce Griffing
01-09-2009, 10:21 PM
The 750 has a second chuck that goes from .5" to .75" that the 500 lacks. (This is true for the old model).

J Tiers
01-09-2009, 10:34 PM
For what it's worth......

My older model sharpened a bunch of bits nicely, ones of all sizes. Then all of a sudden it developed a strong tendency to give reversed relief, which prevents the bit from cutting. large bits OK, small ones trash.

it never did split points reliably.

DD sent me some newer collets, but they didn't help. I never use it now, I need to buy a real drill sharpener.

dp
01-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a 500x that has worked flawlessly since day one. I recovered some old drills that I thought would never be usable but it did a nice job on them. I recovered about 50 drills in one afternoon and I still use it about once a month. I'm far less abusive to drills now that I have nicer equipment to drill with.

gregl
01-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Both Darex and DD plants are in the same building and I got a great tour when I was in Ashland, Or. some years back. Bought a DD and never could get less than .010 oversize on sharpened bits. Usually .015 or more. The DD folks were great in efforts to help but to no avail. I'm positive I was using it correctly. Traded it off to a welder for part of his bill; he doesn't need the accuracy I do. Got the plans for a Potts jig from England, made one up and now get .002 oversize regularly.

BadDog
01-10-2009, 02:41 AM
I have a (first gen?) older 750 that has worked very well for what it is. Realistic limits are somewhere around 3/16" to just north of 1/2". Within that range I am generally well satisfied. Smaller, and it's more art that science, and you have to add some "Kentucky windage" to the alignment. Above that range and it's slow as molasses and not always enough clearance. Best bet on the high side is to blue the end and manually "back off" 3/4 of the end relief surface on a hand grinder. The bluing is so you can see where you are and keep it even.

For smaller end, yes I know it's "cheaper and more efficient" to buy them. But when I *need* a neat #27 tonight, and my only 2 are a bit fuzzy, I want to sharpen them. And I don't have the budget to keep a pack of every size known to man in the PDT or CLE that I prefer. The DD will do them, but it's in the range of fiddly gamble. So when I found a small Christen in decent shape for $100 (with extra range 2, 4, AND 6 notch (facet) holders) I got it. This thing is said to be able to split the point on a #60 in the right hands (and a #80 also sometimes claimed). Honestly, it's technically not a "split", but rather a 4 face "web thinning relief" at those sizes. The the result is the same. I love it, and perfect results EVERY time for 1/4 to as small as you care...

Then I found an SRD for (as I recall?) about $45 at auction. It's the M80 (or something like that). Fairly base line, but amazingly fast, easy AND accurate on anything in the same range as my DD (about 3/16 to 5/8 or so). Nice 4 facet too. With a special "vise", I could go smaller. And they make another model (that I have access to "borrow" time on) that goes up to over 1". I just sharpened a 1.25 on it a few weeks back. These are THE shiznit for a HSM drill grinder. No fiddly expensive collets, no fussy setup, just "get 'er done!". Wonderful machine. Anyone want to buy a drill doctor? (rhetorical)

J Tiers
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Then I found an SRD for (as I recall?) about $45 at auction. It's the M80 (or something like that). Fairly base line, but amazingly fast, easy AND accurate on anything in the same range as my DD (about 3/16 to 5/8 or so).

Would you like to elaborate on that machine at all....? I've never heard of the brand.......

EDIT

Never mind, they cost almost as much as my whole shop...............

http://www.novatechonline.com/products/spg/TDR-SRD%20Price.pdf

lugnut
01-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey Rob, Thanks for reminding me that I had one, now I will have to see if I can remember where I put it and go through learning how to use it again.:D
Mel

BadDog
01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Turns out mine is the "80-M", basically their bottom of the line. But as I said, I've found it to be by far the best drill sharpening experience so far. If I had one of the higher end models with wider range, true split point attachment, and ability to do reamers and EMs I would be on top of the world...

More info here at their web site (http://www.drill-grinder.com/storefront/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17). That should take you right to the 80-M page, but their site is slow, so you might have to wait a bit. You can look at the other models my selecting the one of interest across the top of the page.

BadDog
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Here is a another link that shows and compares the main models. (http://www.novatechonline.com/products/spg/tdr-srd.htm) It's the 82-B that I would really like to have...

Oh, just saw your comment on the price. Yeah, retail is about 1.2 to 2.4k. But how many of us go out and buy new retail? Most of us won't even pay new retail for a Baldor bench grinder, much less something like this. I've seen them in "like new" condition at several auctions going for 200-500, but never bit. I had used one at a friends shop and wanted one, but couldn't justify it. Then one day, an auction, nobody seemed to want it, and I brought it home for less than $50.

lane
01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Their is nothing like a Darex M4 are M5 . Not made any more but e-bay has them all the time. but $$$$$$$.

BadDog
01-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I know the Darex is a nice unit, but never could find one that I would pay for. For what they bring, I want something that sharpens my EMs in bulk while I'm having a beer. :D Yeah, I'm that cheap. But when I got the SRD, I pretty much lost interest in even looking for one. I can't see how it could be much better.

So I'm wondering, have you used one like the SRD, and how does it compare? If not, what is you're opinion (honestly interested) on what makes it superior. I've never had the opportunity to use one, but I can't see how it would improve on what I'm getting from the SRD in either speed (you really can sharpen in far less than 60 seconds) or quality (having nothing to compare with)...

lane
01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I know the Darex is a nice unit, but never could find one that I would pay for. For what they bring, I want something that sharpens my EMs in bulk while I'm having a beer. :D Yeah, I'm that cheap. But when I got the SRD, I pretty much lost interest in even looking for one. I can't see how it could be much better.

So I'm wondering, have you used one like the SRD, and how does it compare? If not, what is you're opinion (honestly interested) on what makes it superior. I've never had the opportunity to use one, but I can't see how it would improve on what I'm getting from the SRD in either speed (you really can sharpen in far less than 60 seconds) or quality (having nothing to compare with)...

Yes I have and have used both. The SDR is nice and they have some new designs now that do a lot more. I am more familiar with the old ones 20 years back I built one and used it for years. Gave it To Lazlo .
The darex only does drills but nothing faster and any type well worth the money and easy to use. and when adjusted properly do a beautiful job. Only thing I know is better is a Black Diamond.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/Shop%20made%20drill%20sharpener/Darexdriilgringer002.jpg

spkrman15
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
J Tiers,

That is EXACTLY what mine is doing. Verry frustrating. I wish i knew why. KBC has a new one on sale for 162.00 CDN. It can do up to 3/4". Maybe i should buy it... and if it works i will send you my old one! haha

Lugnut,

Anything else in that shop you aren't using right now? I can store it for you. Heck i will even keep it in use so it doesn't rust. Just trying to help. ;)

Bad dog,

I know of Darex, I don't do that much machining to warant that kind of expense, but what is an SRD?

rotate
01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
That is EXACTLY what mine is doing. Verry frustrating. I wish i knew why. KBC has a new one on sale for 162.00 CDN. It can do up to 3/4". Maybe i should buy it... and if it works i will send you my old one! haha

I bought it from KBC when they had it on sale. I've been very happy with it. The trick is to use the unit so that the drill bits don't become completely dull. Although it's capable of doing 3/4", I don't recommend it. It takes too long and it will shorten the life on the diamond wheel.

Bill736
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I bought a Drill Doctor about a year and a half ago. I don't recall the model, but it wasn't cheap. I gave it a half hearted trial for a couple of hours, and had difficulty getting good results. I put it away, somewhere, and haven't used it since. Eventually, I'll try it again. I must admit that sharpening things freehand has always been a weakness with me. My dad could quickly sharpen anything by hand, and have it turn out great. I can't. Apparently sharpening greatness does indeed skip a generation.

cybor462
01-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I have one. I use it quite a bit..(bit) get it..HA but really it does ok. I have not been able to sharpen split points either but I do mostly jobber under 1/2" and it does ok. I think the trick is how you present the drill bit in the chuck. It takes a (bit)..ok I won't do that again but the way you have to hold even pressure while rotating the chuck. I hold a slight bit of forward pressure. Very important to be even.

Overall it saves me $$$$$ as I do much drilling on both the mill and lathe and make good use of the DD

I had a 39.00 HF piece of sh*t. Anything would be a dream after that.

Jim

J Tiers
01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
yep, I used mine to sharpen every bit I could find, and it worked great, on every size in its range. Could NOT have been happier with a product.

I thought I had really found THE sharpener.

Then one fine day, doing the same thing in the same way and expecting the same results, I was proved insane by the results CHANGING the drill was sharpened with reverse relief, and other problems......... It has not done a decent job of sharpening smaller drills since.

All the suggestions by other users, and the DD people etc were things I was already doing.

Obviously I knew how to use it, I had sharpened at least 50 or more drills already.

I was able to get acceptable results by adjusting the drill in the collet, to positions and depths NOT according to the alinement guide. But consistency has eluded me ever since, and it takes a few tries to get any drill under about 5/16" or so done close to right.

DD could not tell me what to look for. I was hoping they could tell me what to look at, evaluate the results, and tell me something like "OK the blitz-blotz ratchet holder is broken, a new one will cost you $X, would you like me to take your order?".

No such luck.

It seemed that they did not actually understand their own machine. They could not suggest even a place to look for the problem, let alone supply the correct replacement part. This makes sense if the Darex folks "tossed it over the wall" to a spin-off company, but is hardly helpful.