PDA

View Full Version : Boring Head Question

apd855
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I bought a cheap import boring head, which probably already answers my question. I put it in the mill and set up a DI on a 3/4 shaft clamped in the head and when I rotate the head I get some runout. Adjusting the offset screw I can get it perfect front to back but get .005 from side to side. When I say side to side, I mean measuring the gib side then rotating the head 180 and measuring the other side. I wouldn't think this is normal but what do I know.

SGW
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Unless I'm missing something...why does it matter, except that it may be aesthetically displeasing? Assuming everything is rigid, the boring tool will make a circular cut.

brian Rupnow
01-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Why would it really matter. When you use a boring head on a mill, you drill a clearance hole in the part to be bored first, then put the boring head in place with a boring tool and keep advancing the cutter and taking cuts untill you reach the desired hole size. I don't see where run out comes into the picture at all. What am I not understanding here???

apd855
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
The .005 measurement is greater than when measuring for the offset so it seems that it would overbore the hole by 10 thou. Maybe I'm the one missing something.

apd855
01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Never mind:D I just realized the error in my thinking. As long as the cutter is parallel with the offset movement of the head it wont make a difference.