PDA

View Full Version : I made a new friend today!

Your Old Dog
01-09-2009, 11:23 PM
So I am at a local ham radio club meeting tonight and I'm introduced to a fellow club member. He gives me his email address and when I get home I google it.

http://www.schwabelfab.com/facilities.htm

I see a nice friendship growing out of this meeting :D

dp
01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Cool - he has a shaper!

73 -- de WA6ZGL

BillH
01-10-2009, 12:59 AM
KB1HRG
Man it's been a while, I hope my license is still valid.

Scishopguy
01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
YOD...It is amazing how many talented and influential folks you meet in the Amateur radio community. It is not just limited to electrical engineers. We had a lot of folks at the university with their ham tickets. We all shared our expertise at whatever talents we had to improve the club's equipment and position in the community. Many of the other interests and persuits I have followed over the years had lots of hams amongst the membership. It is just a rewarding association of like minded (and some times eccentric :D) individuals.

cwhorton
01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I lurk here mostly, and "lurk" on 20 mtrs alot too. Wasn't there a HSM type "net" at one time?
I really like seeing ham calls in the sig lines now and then. Add me to the HSM/Ham fray. All the best.

Charlie (WA1VXP)

dockrat
01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I couldn't get that link to open :( Am I off frequency???:D

Dragons_fire
01-10-2009, 04:23 PM
when i took my course, i was almost half as young as the rest of the guys in there...

VA6YME

Weston Bye
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Ah... a thread for HAMS. Let me throw something in here for your amusement. You are the only people that will understand much of this.

New Method Discovered

Someone once described a violin as a contrivance by which the tail of a horse can be made to extract music from the entrails of a cat. The process was painless for the horse but required considerable sacrifice on the part of the cat. That was long ago and modern steel has replaced catgut as the material of choice for violin strings, thus limiting the utility of the modern cat. However, I recently discovered a phenomenon that could, in some measure, rehabilitate the specie to its rightful place in service to mankind.
While tuning through the HF bands one evening in the ham shack, my cat jumped up on the bench for a visit. As I idly scanned the frequencies, I reached over to pet the cat, rubbing my hand down his back. I chanced to touch the cat's nose and drew a spark of static electricity. A sharp pop issued from the speaker of the reciever. This excited my curiosity and further experimentation confirmed my suspicions. On a lark, I tried using the cat to call CQ and to my amazement, received a reply! True, the other station was right in my same neighborhood, but a contact nonetheless. I found, however, that the arrangement was very broad banded and my signal was splattering out of the band for which I was licensed. Further experimentation was conducted and my refinements and observations are recorded here.
A tunable bandpass filter was capacitively coupled to the cat for frequency selection. Back issues of QST featured a QRP rig constructed in a tuna can. I used the article as a starting point for the power supply for my rig. The idea being to charge the cat with the contents of a can from which the top has been freshly removed. Research and experimentation has shown that a fully charged cat exhibits greater stability during transmission. Placing the cat on a square of copper screen connected to an earth ground helps the cat to maintain proper location and enhances the signal level. Sort of a grounded grid amplifier. Rubbing the cat's fur with one's hand rather than some mechanical contrivance improves stability and soothes the cat. I call this method Armstrong Excitation. Keying is accomplished by either of two methods:
Straight key from the cat's nose, as initially discovered above, and Iambic keying by alternately contacting the cat's ears with the thumb and index finger. As right handedness (or, to a lesser degree, left-handedness) is present to some extent in all species, the cat's ear-flick reflex will be uneven, the right ear generally somewhat faster and thus generating a dit while the left produces the dah. The cat seems to perfer short QSO's and the heavy use of Q-signals. Longer QSO's would probably require a battery of cats employed in relays. Armstrong Excitation, as described above, necessitated the use of the Farnsworth method of transmission. (a high character speed with fairly long intervals between characters) This also enhanced stability on the part of the cat. Performance seemed to top out at about 4 WPM, the limiting factors being the Armstrong Excitation and the tolerance of the cat.
The cat seemed to suffer no permanent physical injury, but the animal has come to expect charging from the tuna can power supply any time CW tones are heard. This expectation has caused a severe case of Pavlovian drooling and has resulted in some water damage to some of the pages in my logbook.

I wrote this as an April Fools piece for the club newsletter back when I was active in amateur radio. Now I just follow the local weather nets when the need arises, but spend most of my time in the shop machining and writing.

Wes
KB8UKS

dockrat
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good one Wes!!!

RetiredFAE
01-10-2009, 05:00 PM
KB1HRG
Man it's been a while, I hope my license is still valid.

Hi Bill. I checked the FCC data base just now, here's what it says about your Ticket's expiration date:
12/27/2011
73's.

Steve

Carl_In_NH
01-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I picked up machining as a way to further my skills and professionalism in building radio and electronic equipment - which I've been doing for almost 40 years with not much more than an assortment of files and drill bits, a Greenley punch or two, and a nibbler. Being able to make whatever I need for a given project was the initial goal, but I found the pursuit of and restoration of older machine tools to be as enjoyable as any other type of construction. Matter of fact, I can't really remember the last electronic project I built - as most of my time is taken up either fabricating new parts for older broken machines and bringing them back on-line, or chasing elusive accessories for a machine that can't be easily fabricated in the shop.

It's nice to have a degree of self-sufficiency when engaging in various hobbies - machining and machine tools are a true asset in the home shop that open a new world of enjoyment for many such creative endeavors.

Carl WA1RAJ

BobC
01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
As another "mostly lurker" on the forum, I will also sign in to the thread.

Bob KD4LOK