PDA

View Full Version : Handle lubricant question...

derekm
01-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I looking to be able to achieve the same results as some the luminaries here. Its clear from the posts that very low coefficients of friction are being achieved.
I've searched all of the posts on lubricants an have come up with spindle oils and greases and found out about get the right vicosity of oil and the nomenclature differences, the additive package and selecting the correct base oil for a grease and the overall thickness standard. Thus I now understand iso viscosity, NLGI and SAE.
There have been numerous debates over Mobil Vactra and the tackifier package in it and I've joined in the debate over whether one should go to a more total loss system for ways oils or a high tackifier solution.
But in all of this I cant find anything about handle lubricant. Waylube, spindle lube but nothing about handle lubricant.
Given the number of handles a machine has you thing it would be important. But its not only numbers of handles that count here. I sure you will agree its what you do with them that really counts

What I'm really looking for is the handle lubricant that enables the experts here to fly. This is distinct from Fly cutting oil and I 've already been many times through the water vs oil based and all of the mist vs micro droplet vs flood but this is a very different beast Indeed . BTW on that subject I've declared myself for water based flood coolant. This is different - I've searched the Mobil and Shell sites and looked through the Cromwell catalogue but I cant find it and hence this post
I know from recent posts some of you must be using it and quite a lot of it

To summarise then its

a good high performance "Fly off the handle (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fly_off_the_handle)" lubricant I'm looking for.. :D :D :D

HSS
01-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I looking to be able to achieve the same results as some the luminaries here. Its clear from the posts that very low coefficients of friction are being achieved.
I've searched all of the posts on lubricants an have come up with spindle oils and greases and found out about get the right vicosity of oil and the nomenclature differences, the additive package and selecting the correct base oil for a grease and the overall thickness standard. Thus I now understand iso viscosity, NLGI and SAE.
There have been numerous debates over Mobil Vactra and the tackifier package in it and I've joined in the debate over whether one should go to a more total loss system for ways oils or a high tackifier solution.
But in all of this I cant find anything about handle lubricant. Waylube, spindle lube but nothing about handle lubricant.
Given the number of handles a machine has you thing it would be important. But its not only numbers of handles that count here. I sure you will agree its what you do with them that really counts

What I'm really looking for is the handle lubricant that enables the experts here to fly. This is distinct from Fly cutting oil and I 've already been many times through the water vs oil based and all of the mist vs micro droplet vs flood but this is a very different beast Indeed . BTW on that subject I've declared myself for water based flood coolant. This is different - I've searched the Mobil and Shell sites and looked through the Cromwell catalogue but I cant find it and hence this post
I know from recent posts some of you must be using it and quite a lot of it

To summarise then its

a good high performance "Fly off the handle (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fly_off_the_handle)" lubricant I'm looking for.. :D :D

Ya mite try a little jaw juice. That works from time to time. Ya know like they put in their hands just before picking up the ax or sledge hammer.:D :D

Patrick

John Stevenson
01-10-2009, 11:32 AM
No idea Derek, do I know you BTW, have we ever met? I suppose we must have as we both live in the UK and are interested in metalworking of some kind.

I think you need to be a tad more specify in your search.
Metal handles or wood, or dare I say it even composite which contrary to popular opinion isn't that new, they were fitting iron rivets to wood in Whitworth's day.

Possible ideas are Elbow Grease, Sweat of the Brow and at a pinch Bullsh´t could be used but it is smelly and goes sticky before it dries out.

RancherBill
01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I think EGO brand has a full line of "Fly Off the Handle Lubricants" lubricants.

Frank Ford
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
To summarise then its a good high performance "Fly off the handle" lubricant I'm looking for..

Hmm, rather than telling you to "put a sock in it," I'll suggest putting a sock ON it. (I never use "smilies," so you can imagine a "nyuk, nyuk" here.)

Seriously, that's what I did for my collet closer handle, and it really did improve performance. Without the sock, the plastic handle gets oily and really slippery when I'm doing batches of small parts:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/QuickTricks/SockHandle/sock.jpg

For more:

Gym Sock Origami (http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/ForFun/SockOrigami/sockorigami.html)

38_Cal
01-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I would have thought that tung oil might be appropriate for handles...but I'm biting mine...

David
Montezuma, IA

lane
01-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I like my handles dry . I cant stand greasy hands. why would any body want to oil the handles . Your hand would slip off. Could be dangerous.