PDA

View Full Version : 72" grinder project nearly finished.

HSS
01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Well, I got it running today for a while till I noticed smoke coming from the motor coupling. I guess I've got to take it back apart tomorrow and study. The belt is a bit touchy on tracking but after it ran in for a while it tracked better.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/72%20inch%20grinder/P1010043Small.jpg

We will see whats going on with it tomorrow

Patrick
I don't know whats up with the picture. It usually shows the picture instead of just the URL. Dam, nothing is going right today!

dan s
01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
The brass knobs are a nice touch.

torker
01-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Good lookin machine you got there. Those are darn handy.
BTW...what is up with all that floor you got there?
Holy Geezuz...that's just way too much floor for any man to have. You need way more stuff... :D
Russ

HSS
01-10-2009, 10:46 PM
The brass knobs are a nice touch.

Thanks Dan, that was my second try at knurling and the first sucessful attempt.
I wonder why knurlers don't come with instructions? A friend came over and showed me how he knurls, then I did the knobs. Yoohoo :)

HSS
01-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Good lookin machine you got there. Those are darn handy.
BTW...what is up with all that floor you got there?
Holy Geezuz...that's just way too much floor for any man to have. You need way more stuff... :D
Russ

Are you kidding me? I've been stepping all over cords and air hoses all day. I said I need more air and electric outlets just today. My young bride limits what I can bring home, so that leaves me with floor space. :D

torker
01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Are you kidding me? I've been stepping all over cords and air hoses all day. I said I need more air and electric outlets just today. My young bride limits what I can bring home, so that leaves me with floor space. :D
Nope..not kidding. You hang around here long enough...you'll see what I mean.
This was my last shop...I bought a couple more machines after this pic...I had to move out to a bigger place...LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-24.jpg
It's almost as bad already...
Russ

Tim Clarke
01-11-2009, 01:14 AM
OOOOOOO... Me Like!

Russ ain't kidding, can I borrow some floor?

Lemme see, ya need a couple lathes, a turret type mill, and maybe a horiz mill. Then there's the dirty room for the surface grinder, along with your nifty belt sander.

TC

Davidhcnc
01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
.... The belt is a bit touchy on tracking but after it ran in for a while it tracked better.......

You may already know this, I've had to relearn it a few times:rolleyes:

If the thing sits with the belt tensioned (overnight)then the belt takes up a shape and wobbles. It goes away after a bit of running or the next day if left slack.

Nice grinder:cool:

Your Old Dog
01-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Damn nice looking square wheel you got there. I'll bet you're going to find it one of the most useful tools in the shop. I used mine like a big metal eraser!

If your tracking is touchy you may have too much dome on the wheel. It only needs to be there but too much makes them hard to control. When you get the dome right, you'll be able to lean on the work and the tracking won't move more then a 1/8-1/4 inch or so. Get some 36 grit and you can get ready of your burning outfit and bandsaws :D

When you're ready with your final post, make sure and get us some closeups of the tension and track truing assemblys.

Bill Pace
01-11-2009, 09:41 AM
That is a NICE looking machine!! and those brass knobs DO add a classy touch---

Belt & disc sanders in my shop have gotta be one of the most useful of the smaller "support" tools, I think youre gonna LOVE that thing.

On the tracking --- did you turn the wheels or get them 'aftermarket'? if you turned them (like Dog says) the crown can be real finicky and make the belt very sensitive, so if it keeps being a problem you might have to do another skim on the crown. Took me 2 tries on one and 3 tries on another to get the belt where it would stay tracking in use.

Again, nice work

PackardV8
01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Really nice work! I wouldn't be without a belt grinder.

Here's a FWIW for anyone considering making a belt grinder from scratch. Check for a source of dead 3" and 4" dead-motor belt sanders. I've seen them at yard sales, pawn shops and electric motor/small tool repair shops. They are a great source for the small belt wheels for this type grinder. They each have a flat and a crowned wheel.

Another FWIW, I personally like larger diameter wheels. for this size belt grinder, I found it less expensive to shop around for a pro-quality woodworking edge sander (mine was an Acme, built by R.A.Ness & Co, Chicago.) For $100 at a neighborhood yard sale, I got a turnkey unit; two 4" wheels, a motor, tracking mechanism, arm support and platens. All that is necessary for metal grinding is to convert it from horizontal to vertical and if desired, add the arm and wheel for the third run. Just an option, if you can find an edge sander.

thnx, jack vines

HSS
01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks to all, for the compliments and suggestions. I went this way cause I bought the grinder plans from LMS and pretty much went with what was drawn out, with minor adjustments here and there. As for major changes, I am not gifted the way some of you are, that can look at something and make major changes on the fly. I can do that on things I work with in my day to day job but machining and engineering ain't it. I made pictures all the way thru the build but only posted the finished one.

I did find what was causing all the smoke on the test run. Seems the drive shaft set screws backed out enough for the shaft to run out and rub on the main frame, or else I forgot to tighten them.:o

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/72%20inch%20grinder/P1010044Small.jpg

As you can see, it got a little warm. So much for the nice shiny finish.

Bill Pace, those are turned wheels from 3" alum. and the tracking wheel has about 3* crown.

YOD, that is a 36 grit belt on there and I plan to add an 80 grit also.

Davidhcnc, After the smoke I took the belt and motor off of the machine and have not put it back together yet, but I will remember your advice and loosen the belt when I turn out the lights, (I hope. right now I can't even remember to turn off the heat when I walk out. Hope my wife doesn't read this.:D )

Patrick

john hobdeclipe
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
That's a nice looking machine...You'll get a lot of use from it, BUT...don't they sell green paint in Arkansas?

HSS
01-11-2009, 03:31 PM
As a matter of fact, John, they do but not to me. I started to paint it red but thought the blood might not show up too well on it, and I do want to be able to keep it clean.:D
How bout this shade of green.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/72%20inch%20grinder/P1010015Small.jpg