PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson Quality

TECHSHOP
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
A few months back I added a few imported cutting tools to my collection. They are new (unused), I think of fairly recent manufacture, and are marked as "Clarkson" and "England".

SDL
01-11-2009, 06:31 PM
What are they?

Milling cutters are good

Steve Larner

Rich Carlstedt
01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I love Clarkson tooling.
they are most famous for having a thread (to lock) on the endmill stems

John Stevenson
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
One point to note that we are having here and may catch up with you Stateside is that Clarkson chucks have set sizes 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8"
Metric sizes are 6mm, 10,, 12,, and 16mm. and a lot of other collet systems are like wise, Bridgeport for one with the R8 ut it's not so bad now the imports cover the gaps.

The problem we are seeing is that to cut costs cutters are being made from the same size material all thru.

At one time a 1/8" cutter or 3mm was on a 1/4" or 6mm shank, now they are on 1/8" or 3mm shank to save material.

The threads are being omitted, again to save costs as here the ER series has gained that much popularity it's given standard so odd sized shanks are no problem.

The only problem arises when you have these older type standards.

I sold all my Clarkson chucks and collets off a few years ago and used the money to upgrade my ER series.
I still have some weird stuff and some single angle stuff but it really wants dumping, over here it won't get a base bid on Ebay.

TECHSHOP
01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I was just moving things around in the shop this weekend and rediscovered this box full of 5/8" and smaller in diameter (not metric) end mills of M42.
I don't think that there are more than 2 each of any type (3 flute, 4 flute, roughing, etc), diameter, or cutting length.

When SWMBO had to sell off alot of the machine shop stuff a few years back, my stuff was heavily "cherry picked". I wasn't sure if these were still here because of being "overlooked" or being "well known to be scrap".

These must be newer, they are all in the plasic "toothbrush" type case and I don't see any threads.

Edited to add: When I reread my first post and this edited for spelling second post, I realized, I don't know exactly when I originaly got these end mills and that I may have already posted this question a few months back.

motorworks
01-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi
I can not speak on their quality..
but I picked up their Cat. at the last oil show here and their $$ are
out to lunch and delivery is long....
4-6 weeks for a 1/8-28 BSPP die.

gellfex
01-11-2009, 09:39 PM
The quality seemed okay when I worked in a place that had a Clarkson collet chuck. It's just that they must have a "Gillette" business model, the tooling is so expensive compared to standard cutters. I actually put a threaded plug in the collet to close it on straight shaft tooling I brought in. Overall I much prefer my ER-32.

Rich Carlstedt
01-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Sir John
I got all my Clarkson cutters when I lived in Canada.
Guess all good things come to an end.
Thanks for the update, as I was out of date !

rich

torker
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I bought a whole bunch of Clarkson endmills off Ebay a couple years ago.
They all have the threads but I just grind a flat on them and use them in an endmill holder.
Everyone I've tried has been tougher than boiled owl....very good endmills.
They are every bit as good or maybe better than my Niagra em's.
Russ

Circlip
01-12-2009, 06:14 AM
And to add to the pot,they are constant pitch threads- same for all diameters.

Regards Ian.

Mark McGrath
01-12-2009, 07:13 AM
The top manufacturers are still making screwed shank cutters.Metric shanks.
Clarkson has not existed as Clarkson for a lot of years now,but their stuff is good and you will never pull a screwed shank cutter out a Clarkson collet.