PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat: Dial Indicator With Magnetic Base

Liger Zero
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
So the wife is off to the hospital for vigorous testing and evaluation... they already know what is wrong but want to do further evaluations before making the required repairs and adjustments. In that doctors are like engineers and machinists... we *could* do it this way but what if there is a *better* way?

Anyway.

Before she left this morning she presented me with a brand new Imported Starrett-Like Loooooooooong-Stroke Dial Indicator and magnetic base before leaving.

Ok so aside from all the "normal" uses (centering work in a chuck, crude position read out, depth/height checks) what are some of the more "creative" or "non-standard" uses for one of these? Inspire me. :D

Its finding quite a bit of use on the CLARKE lathe as a position readout because the backlash is quite annoying on that machine. Only had it a few hours now I'm wondering why I didn't get one sooner. :D:D

saltmine
01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Doctors always make sure they completely empty one's bank account before they proceed. Of course, if insurance is paying the bill, they make sure they get your deductible....

Strangely enough, I had several doctors for customers....They were ALWAYS looking for the cheapest, most temporary, half-assed repair...for the lowest price....And then complain loudly about how hard it was to find somebody who does quality work..

Liger Zero
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
So you are saying I should attempt to repair my wife here at home using the equipment in the shop? Well if we go that route it'll give me the excuse to buy more tools. :D

I am worried about the expense but considering the situation there isn't much choice. Either let it run its course and have her die a horrible painful death or have them fix the situation and enjoy her companionship for awhile longer.

Cancer sucks... at any age.

But enough gloom! Shiny new dial indicator! WOOT! :D

jdunmyer
01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
LZ,
I have a 2" travel indicator attached to a homemade carriage stop on my LeBlond lathe. It's easier to use than the newly-installed Trav-A-Dial for many operations. It's especially nice when threading.

Liger Zero
01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm loving it as a position indicator. No more figuring tick-marks and trying to figure out the backlash which seems to change daily.

...think it might be temperature related 'cause it's not so bad now that I have the heat turned down to 60 degrees. When the wife is home the heat is around 75. Sound reasonable or am I full of "it" whatever "it" is?

davidh
01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
cancer does suck. sorry for your needing to be involved with it. many of us do or will in our futures. its not easy to deal with. i have trouble saying the "Word", and still cannot say to myself that i have or have had it.

treatments are good as they do give relief or even a cure sometimes. but its always a lingering question. . . . .

guys, do your damn exams. . . . ive said it before.

i hope for your family its just a bump in the road, or for any family as far as that goes.

i think i am a survivor, but how does one know for sure.

one day at a time and im glad im still here, reading and enjoying the bullshlt. . .

Liger Zero
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Well they are quite certain they want to off part of her leg, they just aren't sure how much. With luck they'll just take the part below the knee.

She's handling it quite well, she's already accepted the fact that she's going to need a "new" leg. With us both being Star Trek fans I can now brag that I got to marry the hot cyborg chick. :D

I'm just glad that I get to keep her for awhile longer and this isn't one of those "six months to live" situations. She has helped me overcome some mental-illness type issues in my life and helped me through this employment meltdown over the last couple of years.

We'll see how it goes forward from here.