PDA

View Full Version : Oarlock socket

DaveNJ
08-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Hello -
I am new to the board and am currently looking to buy a mini-lathe. I have set up a small charcoal foundry (future plan to do propane) to make castings as well at home. My first project is an oarlock. I have the pattern already made.

I was wondering if I could hire one of you to make 2 oarlock sockets for me out of brass rod or bronze rod ? 1" rod, bored out .5", with .125" OD lip and .75" OD shank. 1" Long.

It is pretty simple and would be a easy project on a mini-lathe, but I don't have one yet. I need the oarlock parts soon though.

Let me know if you can do it and what you would charge.

thanks,
Dave

winchman
08-08-2003, 09:48 AM
I sent you an email.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 08-08-2003).]

DaveNJ
08-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Roger -
Thanks. I can't get to your email through the link. However, I modified my profile to where you can view my email.

I think the aluminum may be too soft for oarlock sockets. Steel may be used as well if you have it and then I would just keep well oiled when I am out rowing.

Email me and we can go over the details of payment, drawing, material and mailing address.

Thanks again.
- Dave

DaveNJ
08-08-2003, 10:08 AM
Roger -

Forgot. 08075 is the zip code.

SGW
08-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Bronze would be likely be best.

thistle
08-09-2003, 11:23 AM
i recently made a pair of oar lock sockets same shape but a bit bigger than what you had in mind .
i turned a couple of grooves in theoutside of the shank and glued the pair intoa piece of solid fiberglass with epoxyand high density filler powder
i think that the round shape is somewhat unsatisfactory from an attachment point of view.
i would turn the socket out of a pieece of rectangular bar , so that the topside of the socket is rectangular,that way you can drill a couple of holes to put bolts through.
had the same idea about casting oar locks , ihave about 20 differant types some fairly ancient,that i mean to use as patterns.