PDA

View Full Version : English Wheel Adjustment

928gene928
01-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm just about ready to weld together the parts for my english wheel, however; I'm not sure if the lower wheel adjustment screw I have chosen is the best. I have used 4" square tubing for the "C" frame, and have braces made of heavy wall 2". I found a length of 1 1/2-6 threaded rod in the shop and planned on using it for the lower anvil pressure adjustment. Wonder if a finer thread would be better?

Have look on-line at various english wheels and kits, but none say what they are using for the adjustment screw. Any experience or suggestions?

davidh
01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
i would guess finer would be better, you don't need to tighten the wheel much to make a difference in what yoru rolling.

i could measure the bolt on my "pullmax" which is a power hammer that does the same kind of things but faster, than a wheel, if your interested.

its -24F here on the mercury so im not too eager to go to the shop !

928gene928
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
David,
Thanks for the offer, but please stay where it is warm. Have a good one!

Toolhawk
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I made my wheel with both top and bottom adjusters, the top one is 11/16" -12 as I remember, and I made my lower ajuster 1 1/2" -8 and it works just fine, 6TPI will be a bit faster but should work ok. I prefer the lower one as the 8TPI seems to be just right for me.
davidh, are you anywhere near Ashland, the town that I was born in.
George

davidh
01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
yup, beautiful, sunny, downtown MAPLE

CCWKen
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
A course thread is good if you don't have a quick release and fine thread is good for small adjustments. Once you get used to the way it works, it really doesn't matter. IIRC, mine uses 3/4-10 and the "toe-wheel" is 15" in diameter. But I have a quick release. Very little pressure is need to tighten up on material with 10tpi and large wheel.

Show us pictures! :D

Jim Stabe
01-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Go look here http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49
There is more information there about all aspects of building a wheel than you can read in several days. Scroll down through the topics and you will find frame stiffness, adjusters, wheels, anvils and anything else you need to know.

I used 1"-14 for my top adjuster along with a quick release for the lower anvil mount. Depending on the size of your frame, you might 4 x 4 to be a bit on the flexy side.

Jim

Dawai
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Mine has a flat acme type screw, about a 5/8" ... seems to be fine.. other peoples have threaded sections with fine threads..

OVER a period of time the threads will wear there in the main adjustment space where the wheels tighten together.. A flat thread like a acme can carry tons of pressure..

Neato? one of the MM guys had a auto-style screw adjustor on his.. like a scissor jack. a side wheel instead of a top or a kicker bottom style..

A quick release I have designed for mine.. not made it yet.. all my stuff is home made junk. I have experimented with air cylinders, hydraulic jacks, toggle links, all kinds of adjusters. THE funny thing about mechanical screws is that when you push a hammer knot through it, it increases the pressure per thickness... a air cylinder just jumps the knot. My next toggle will be a foot pedal..

928gene928
01-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks to all for your help!

928gene928
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Must have been asleep, just noticed that I sais I was using 4" tube, actually it is 6"x 3/8" wall square. Excuse the typo!

Toolhawk
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
928gene928
The use of 6" X 6" X 3/8" should make a very ridged frame, keep us posted as to how well it works.
George
davidh
Back in the 50's we used to drive west past your town to the town of Poplar just to sit in Bong's P-38 before the thieves started stripping it. What a great feeling getting to sit in the real plane almost completely intact at that time. Also the one son owns a 40 in Delta with the White river flowing through it, lots of relatives in that area called Gods Country.
George

davidh
01-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Bong's P-38 has been totally restored and is now in a ww-2 museum located right on the waterfront of lake superior, in Superior Wi. Its beautiful and so is the museum in case anyone ever gets up or down this way. it is God's Country for sure.

ok, back to the english wheel postings