PDA

View Full Version : logan model 955 lathe

sid pileski
01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/LoganLathe-1.jpg

I have a chance to get this logan lathe for a $100.00 bucks or so.
The main thing wrong with it is the tailstock can't be located.
I haven't seem it in person, but it looks to be in fair shape.
Anybody have one?
I don't really need it but, for almost free?
What do you think?

Sid

tony ennis
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
If I were you, and I had space for it, I'd be all over that.

Now, worse than the missing tailstock is the missing tooling. Is there any?

And is the lathe in decent shape otherwise?

sid pileski
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Tony- I don't really care about the tooling, as I already have that for my shop now. To answer your question, I don't know yet. It looks like it has a draw bar in the pic. I don't know what kind of collets it takes or if there are any.
Does anyone else here have one on these?

Sid

ProGunOne
01-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I would be all over it also. Worst case scenario, you'd get your money back in parts easily. I just p/u an Logan 820 off of Craigslist to replace the Craftsman 101.07403 standard change gear. If my info is correct, the 955 is an 11x24 QC, 2 1/4-8 threaded spindle, 43" OAL. Logan still sells many parts for these machines (much more than they have listed on their web site) but they're a bit pricey. Used parts do come up quite often on ebay. Just bought a used bull gear for mine and saved a couple of hundred versus new.

garyphansen
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
That is a no brainer, buy it. If you can not buy a tail stock off ebay you coult part it out for $500-1000 easy. Gary P. Hansen

johnnyd
01-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Those also have a very nice 1&3/8 spindle bore. With the proper adapter, you can use 5C collets. Tailstock shouldn't be too hard to come by on the "bay".
I've had one of those for years & love it.

kendall
01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
A definite buy it vote from me too.

If it were nearby I'd already have it in the shop.

Ken.

Doc Nickel
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
It's very close to what I have:

http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/newlogan1.jpg

Pretty much down to the cabinet.

Mine, too, was missing the tailstock- it originally came with a bed turret. In that pic (six years old or more) you can see where I tried to adapt a tailstock from the 10" Logan I had- there's a "spacer" place in the middle. :D

I eventually bought the correct replacement off of eBay, ran about $150 or so as there was some competition.

Mine had been somewhat refurbished by the previous owner, and it's been a near-daily workhorse for me for better than half a decade now. I bumped it up from the 3/4HP that the previous owner had installed, to a 1-1/2HP, but I'll be going up from there to a 2HP 3-phase and VFD as soon as I can afford it.

Your example looks a bit rough, but definitely salvageable. For $100, I'd have driven over and loaded it up already. Even if the thing's junk for some reason (say, badly worn bed) the QC gearbox alone is worth $300+ on eBay.

Buy it, give it a thorough and careful cleaning, lube it, and then check it for wear.

Doc.

sid pileski
01-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Doc- Is yours single phase?
I wish is wasn't so rusty. Maybe under all that green paint lies a jewell.
I'm going to look at it, but right now I have to replace the transission in my Ranger pickup. The case corroded and a snap ring that holds one of the shift servos in won't hold anymore.
I'm sure it could be fixed (it's at the dealer) but I don't have a lift or the time.
That gonna be a thousand, give or take.

Sid

Doc Nickel
01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Doc- Is yours single phase?

-It is now. The fellow I got it from had installed a new 3/4HP single-phase Marathon motor. I don't know if that was to replace a burned-out motor, swap from 3-ph to single, or if the lathe was missing the motor when he got it.

However, it was, originally, a turret lathe, which means factory use, which means it's not unlikely it could have been 3ph to start with.

The 3/4HP wasn't quite enough beans, and I replaced that motor with a 1-1/2HP Marathon, still single phase. But as I said, I'm planning on going up to 3Ph as soon as it's convenient- I have a 3HP/3PH and VFD setup on a Sheldon, and it's just entirely too handy.

Just from the one photo, it actually looks more like old oil and grunge than rust, at least on the important parts like the bedways. But nevertheless, there's relatively easy and nondestructive ways to remove light rust (electrolysis, Naval Jelly, etc.)

Doc.