PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with a surface grinder...

Doc Nickel
01-14-2009, 04:42 AM
... I can't seem to get a good surface finish. :D

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/nichols-grinder.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the stone is too coarse... ? What else could it be?

Also, does anyone know how to properly cut a keyway in a grinding wheel? For some weird reason this wheel didn't come with one...

:D

Doc.

(For the humor-impaired, this is a joke.)

oldtiffie
01-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Doc.

As is all too evident, that wheel is well and truly shafted - first time I've seen one that is that well screwed as well.

I've seen some old scrubbers that were in better shape than that - and VERY abrasive and rough they were too - and so they ensured a very rough grind. Perhaps they lacked the shine and lustre that goes with being well-balanced, well dressed and quality assured at a good Finishing School.

malbenbut
01-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Its dangerous put a guard oh the wheel.
MBB

Your Old Dog
01-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Are we that close to April already?

Lew Hartswick
01-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Is that a typical E-Buy ad. ? :-)
...lew...

lazlo
01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
... I can't seem to get a good surface finish. :D

I'm thinking maybe the stone is too coarse... ? What else could it be?

Surface grinders are a scam. Just hang a grinding wheel on your radial arm saw and you're all set. ;)

Stepside
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
You had the material hanging off the table. That 1/8 inch acrylic is hard to grind when it is well supported. Have you tried "flood coolant"? Or could it be related to the dreaded "Bearing Preload Syndrome"?

RancherBill
01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Looks like a metric wheel on an imperial machine. Have you miked the stone?

Have you applied Sodium Pentothal to "true the stone". Sometimes they will lie about being round. Sodium Pentothal is the only way to get the truth out of them. :D :D

Bill

Davek0974
01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I can't see the problem :eek:

Scishopguy
01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Doc...Looks to me like you need a bucket of prop wash and a trombone stretcher to get that rig working ;)

S_J_H
01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Simple mistake really.
That setup is known as the arbor surfacing method where the wheel is located at the outboard end for flywheel effect only and never to be used for grinding. Wrap the arbor in emery cloth and surface away.

:eek:

dockrat
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Also, does anyone know how to properly cut a keyway in a grinding wheel? For some weird reason this wheel didn't come with one...
:D
Doc.

I used my flo-jet...works like a damn!!! :p

dp
01-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Surface grinders are a scam. Just hang a grinding wheel on your radial arm saw and you're all set. ;)

Exactly - it's so simple!

Carld
01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
The shaft is to short and you need to use flood coolant with it directly on the grinding wheel.

lane
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I aint even going their.

huntinguy
01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I think that is an arbor for inside grinding. You might want to keep the door shut. They are very temperature sensitive and will shiver and chatter. :rolleyes:

Btw. If you use an electronic or combination lock you will not need a key way slot.:D

Spin Doctor
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
It isn't painted "Earl of Stumpwater" green. Just ship it to me, I'll repaint it, fix any problems and try it out for you. Of course the trial period might be 10 to 20 years. :p:p

Sock Puppet
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
It isn't painted "Earl of Stumpwater" green.

The Earl of Sudspumpwater does not condone painting tools Green.

In fact he doesn't condone painting tools at all as he's a tight ass bastich when it come to buying paint. Presentation does not always come with fit and purpose which probably accounts for the holes in his shoes, string for a belt and no buttons on his shirt.

oldtiffie
01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Or his fly either - obviously

oldtiffie
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Deleted - duplicate post

Spin Doctor
01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
The Earl of Sudspumpwater does not condone painting tools Green.

In fact he doesn't condone painting tools at all as he's a tight ass bastich when it come to buying paint. Presentation does not always come with fit and purpose which probably accounts for the holes in his shoes, string for a belt and no buttons on his shirt.

Who said "Earl of Stumpwater" green was paint. I always thought is was that nice mold patina that you get from being surrounded on all sides by water.

Alistair Hosie
01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Isn't thaT wheel a little narrow for the bed reach shouldny you be using a wheel with a width of about 24 inches or so:D Alistair

John Stevenson
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
No it's red and it's rust.

Don't believe anything that the Sock Puppet says he's on Georges payroll.

Oldbrock
01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
So many obvious things wrong here, the motor is out of line, the magnetic chuck tried to follow the wheel and fell on the floor, no provision for flood coolant, no wheel guard, need a double angle drive to enable the wheel to reach the floor mounted chuck, floor not level (they never are) I could go on and on but it's hard to explain things to Limeys:D Peter, a misplaced Taffy. Hi Mark, used to live in Mold.

Virgil Johnson
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
My first guess would be the bearings. Post the P/N of the spindle bearings and maybe someone could tell you if they are the correct class.

oldtiffie
01-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Maybe, having bought them, that they lost their bearings on the way back.

wierdscience
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
It's an ID grinder and your missing the ID.

And remember,an ID has the hole on the inside,while an OD has the hole on the outside.